tips for cool samples

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

Re:

Postby aeon » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:27 pm

crystalmsc wrote:thank you for the great tips, it's nice to know that some of the goodies are also in the RS :D

Yep! Many of the Yamaha devices of the last ~10 years have a subset (FS1R) or superset (Motif XS) of the effects in the A5000. That said, I do not think any of them allow you to route the effects as freely as the A5000 does. In this sense, the A-series samplers are quite capable effects processors, both for samples and for live audio input.

cheers,
Ian
aeon

Advertisement:

Postby crystalmsc » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:51 am

aeon wrote:I do not think any of them allow you to route the effects as freely as the A5000 does. In this sense, the A-series samplers are quite capable effects processors, both for samples and for live audio input.

true, that sampler is always the perfect companion for the RS. May be Yamaha's designed it that way.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 9 Suite, Push, Ultranova
crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt
Kronos,MS20m,mntrb,Volcas,WD1
NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080
MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex
Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Re: Vintage Sampler Emulation w/Yamaha A-Series

Postby tallowwaters » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:34 am

Damn good stuff.

I just bought an a4000...
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.
tallowwaters

Gear: synesthesia, venereal disease, obsessive compulsive disorder, manic depressive disorder, and sensitive skin.

Postby portland » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:05 pm

aeon wrote:I have thought for some time now that the key to achieving ear-catching, signature sounds is the creative use of post-processing. Effects go a long way to bringing new timbres to the mix in a manner that another synth cannot.

+1
I believe there are very few synths or samplers that sound interesting without effects.
portland

Gear: Elektron Machinedrum UW+, GEM S2, Roland S-760, Korg SDD-3300, Kawai Q-80, Yamaha TG-77, Yamaha 01x, Adam A7s, Logic Studio, Reaktor 5
Band: Romeo Alfa

Re:

Postby Suburban Bather » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:48 am

tallowwaters wrote:whoa, here is the sample of how the voice came out
http://synthsamples.id.uw.edu.pl/emaxii/morality.mp3

Hey! That sounds eerily close to the short story/reading on the hidden track off of Tool's album "Undertow." :D
Suburban Bather

Gear: Wretch Machine, Oberkorn3, Monotribe, TR-626, FX

Re: tips for cool samples

Postby divineaudio » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:22 am

buy a minidisc recorder and a battery powered mic and walk out your front door. no less than 70% of my drum sounds are cut and processed from field recordings.

my favorite sample mangler lately has been my keyboard amp and a few cheap mics. it's amazing what you can do with mic placement and a little eq. :idea:
divineaudio

Gear: ms20, mobius, esx, er1, evolver, nord lead, poly61, dx9, guitar pedals and contact mics.
Band: metria

Re:

Postby Cable » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:06 am

pour_furets wrote:Pitching samples down has always been a favorite trick of mine. You can make just about anything sound cool by doing that. For one track, I played a trill on an acoustic guitar and sampled it. Once it was pitched down a few octaves, it was this crunchy, plodding sound was perfect for my kind of music.

My very favorite sampler trick, though, is to play with the loop points in real time. It can produce popping, but that just adds to the glitchy sound. The EPS has a lot of modulation flexibility when it comes to playing with the loop points. Set a short loop and tweak it for PPG style wavetable sounds, or a longer loop for more rhythmic aberrations. Here's the MP3 of that piece...

http://www.soundclick.com/util/download ... 9B48F5A3-E

The EPS does have a glitch in its OS, though. If you move the loop end point to before the loop start, it will start randomly spitting out samples that still reside in its memory- even if they've been deleted. I've read interviews with Autechre where they comment that it's one of their secret weapons. I came across this bug before ever reading those interviews, but when I did stumble upon it, my first thought was 'hey, this sounds like Autechre.' I recorded a piece using this trick- and some other loop manipulations. The MP3 of it can be found here...

http://www.soundclick.com/util/download ... 9B48F5A3-E

Normal EPS or 16+, tried it on my 16+ but loop end wont go before start or vice versa..hope they didnt fix it...maybe i have a too new OS?
Cable

Gear: Ensoniq EPS16+
Novation BassStation
Nord Micro Modular
Wingman Digital Extreme

Postby balma » Tue May 05, 2009 9:25 pm

tallowwaters wrote:Damn good stuff.

I just bought an a4000...

that's a great sampler. Despite its a shit when programming, like any other Yamaha user interface, it sucks a big time.

Great effects, short memory (old stuff) GREAT polyphony for a rack sampler! 128...

Biggest tip, is to start with the highest quality possible when sampling. Fiber optics when sampling is the best option.

I have some tips that I wrote before, for drum samples:

Try to get samples with HIGH frequency resolution.  Why??? because if you want to apply filtering on there, you can swept between low and high frequencies.  But if you sampled something that sounds very dark, very low frequency, your frequency spectrum will be poor, and you won;t be able to even use the Filter knob.

Do not put swing effect to all the tracks. I try to make stright some of the tracks, very adjusted to the tempo, and others will have a swing effect between the 57% and the 63%.  Also, I try to include non quantized drums, but recorded at real time with no quantization to give some human touch...

Try to use different measure lenghts on  some of the notes of the drums.  

Like the open/closed hi hats.  For example, if there's the classic 4/4 hi hat, one hi hat between two kicks, I use different lenght for each one them

Try to modulate different volumes to each one of the notes.  Having a "pattern" of volume settings for the hihats and specially CONGAS, is vital to a good drum kit....
"If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies you won´t find another"
Carl Sagan

https://soundcloud.com/balma
balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Postby blavatsky » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:13 pm

If i'm at a computer, I find the following in Reaper (or whatever DAW) to add some interest:

On bass drum - EQ around 80hz and 120hz a nice curve. Drop frequencies above 300hz. Add a sub or pitch shift down. Compress it. Layer it with another drum and fade in the attack so it sounds natural.
Lo-fi or Decimate it, then re-EQ it for nasty/industrial

Snare - lots of options. EQ sweet spot tends to be 200hz for the meaty part and around 1500-2000hz for the snap.
Reverb is cheesy but a little bit goes along way. Downsample or add noise for vinyl. Again pitchshifting of course totally changes it. Maybe a Hipass filter.

I could keep rambling. Experiment with Tube distortion VSTs, Phasers on cymbals. Add a little timed-delay to a tom/drum roll to get some insane counter rhythm. Reverse stuff, add effect, un-reverse.
Make more than one snare and more than one hi-hat....I constantly hear songs on a drum loop with no velocity changes with the same hits over and over. Just making 2 different snares (but keeping fairly similar) makes rolls sound more natural, a a couple hi-hats keeps the rhythm varied and not as robotic.

On my roland-sp555, lots of good effects to play with as well. For drums I often re-compress and EQ to get them to the levels of other pads if too low. Don't be afraid of a LONG decaying cymbal hit or ting....I get so many samples of cymbals that fade too fast. Add some verb or time stretch if you have one that is not long enough.

Find new percussive sounds - a can being kicked, toilet lid slamming, creaking of a hinge etc....I too often get stuck in rock drum mentality and forget to branch out.

Some other sampler sources (I'm sure some are repeats, sorry)
-Glass bottles being played with drumsticks....wine bottles have different natural notes depending on size and shape. Also a blown jug/bottle can be a nice pad sound or a bass if pitched.
-Fill a crystal glass with water (or several) and play the rim. Yeah its cheezy but with some effects it can be angelic or scary.
- TV, TV , TV. Yes. Not music videos though, too easy. Look for public access channels, or local TV that loop cheezy lounge music (you'll find some hits/instrument solos, etc). Sample commericals for sound FX. I got a decent drum kit off a stupid show of some dumb actor playing a sloppy drum loop, which I chopped into pads.
Load up some old DVDS (I like horror, blaxpolitation, euro-crap, etc) and listen closely for soundtrack snippets, ambient noise, great quotes. I got a really nice dark cello sound off a DVD extra of a horror movie which I distorted and reversed for great effect.

-Your old Sega games. I mention Sega Genesis specifically because most of their games had a sount test in the options menu. Take your time and sample some great one shot yells, laser blasts, whatever. Keep in mind the Sega Genesis used a version of the Yamaha FM synthesis, so there are some cool metallic, grinding, lo-fi sounds in there.

-This one is way too obvious, but I personally don't do it NEARLY enough...sample some cool one hits from your synths. I have tons of drum kits and sound FX patches for example on my Alesis QS6 that I'd never play with by itself, but if put in a sampler w/ some effects would become much more relevant and usable.
blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: MV8800, Minibrute, Fusion, SP404sx, SP555, Venom, Juno 106, X-Station, ESX
Band: Blavatsky

Postby Zamise » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:27 am

Here is a simple one that covers a sampling tip and an effect without any effects processing, use unison x2 or more, or double up the note or hit on your seq, or copy it over to another note and play it at the exact same time. It'll be louder but you'll also get an aural type effect on it. Seems coolest on kick drums.

Also, play it not at the exact same time and turn the velocity down slightly on the second one and you get a delay/echo effect without any effects processing on it.
Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Postby roon » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:24 pm

Here is one of my favorite tricks, which as a matter of fact I learned while recording some guitar solos for my band, back in the day. But nowadays I use it for synths aswell:
Create a synth line (You can use any sound you want, but best results are achived with a little late attack and longer release IMHO). Say, let it be a pentatonic scale progression from c3 to c4. Now play it backwards. Record/sample it and open in wave editor. Reverse the sample. Export it again.
That's basically all. Now it's playing in correct order again, but it have this nice, a little strange reversed articulation to it.

And now I'm usualy doing one of three following things:
A) Layer both samples, original one and 'enginered' one. This will give you strange, but little aural overal effect. Sounds really great imho.
B) Chop both samples up (original one and backwards-reversed one). Slice'n'dice'em both mixing them as you whish (few steps clean, then some reversed etc)
C) With this one we need to go back: Record original sample without any live tweaking. The reversed one on the other hand do with some live action on the knobs (usually i limit myself to some filter cutoff tweaks). After reversing that one in audio editor, chop it. Now, layer them over, with original going as intented and reversed one in random order. At this point, I'm adjusting each step of reversed one (velocity, pitch as/if needed, sometimes sampler's filters etc). Now it's some pretty crazy shit. It'll sound random, yet wildly and really tasty.

Some other things I sometimes do with samples are basically in the same vein. I'm huge fan of chopping things up, so I use it extensivelly. I love vintage reel-to-reel tape recorders too :lol: But okay, here we go:
Record your line, for example epiano or something. Transfer it tape recorder (basically, I think that it shouldn't be a great one - I use old polish machine called ZK-140, which is a piece of shit, to be honest, but it fits the purpose nicely). And transfer it back to your pc/sampler. Chop it up. Play with it. Tape recorder thing will give you nice, vintage warmth and saturation. It's a good way for people who wants to create their own 'vinyl' samples and don't want to spend relative fortune making dubplates with samples :lol:.

Generally I think the best way to learn new tricks and stuff to come up with sick samples is to read a lot about fifties/sixties production, recording and studio techniques. They were seriously limited by technology back then, so they needed to get creative. And some of their stuff is really wild, fresh even in our hi-tech times :)
roon

Gear: Roland MC-808, Alesis Micron, Waldorf Blofeld, Lots of tape.
Band: The Doomsdays

Postby rharris07 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:36 pm

Thanks to all for these very cool sampler ideas, especially thanks to matt for creating a rather helpful thread!

I've got a question that I'm sure can be answered rather easily - I just don't know exactly how to look it up online because I don't think I'm wording it properly...plus it just popped into my head as I'm reading these posts, so....

Anyways - anyone have a clue how I can take vocal samples and create that cheesy '80s reverse reverb thing? They use to use it lots in films with ghosts and crappy t.v. shows when speaking to the dead. Anyone know what I'm getting at? I'm not exactly sure if the trick has a proper name...but regardless, I think I could put it to use here and there but have no clue how to create the effect...any ideas??

*edit: I added this question on this thread because I don't really want to do it to live vocals, I just want to try this effect on samples I have in my E6400...

MEK | SixTrak | DrumTraks | Motif 8 | DW8000 | MicroKorg | EMX1 & ESX1 | Soviet TOM | Arp Quartet | SD-1 32V | Elka 490 | Indigo 2 | E6400 | Morpheus | SQ2 | DotCom Modular
rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member

Band: Ghost Fires, The Witch Family

Postby tallowwaters » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:56 pm

I did the vocal to shitty tape recorder to sample spiel on that 'lives covered in dust' track.

Anyhow, that's just really wet reverse reverb if it's what I'm thinking. Most cheapo multi fx have it. You could always just superimpose a reversed version of the sample over top of the original and play with the mix. The trick is to leave enough tail so that when you reverse it becomes a nice creepy slow attack/fade in.

If you're thinking Black Lodge on Twin Peaks, they actually learned the words backwards then added some weird gating.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.
tallowwaters

Gear: synesthesia, venereal disease, obsessive compulsive disorder, manic depressive disorder, and sensitive skin.

Postby roon » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:00 pm

rharris07 wrote:Anyways - anyone have a clue how I can take vocal samples and create that cheesy '80s reverse reverb thing? They use to use it lots in films with ghosts and crappy t.v. shows when speaking to the dead. Anyone know what I'm getting at? I'm not exactly sure if the trick has a proper name...but regardless, I think I could put it to use here and there but have no clue how to create the effect...any ideas??

*edit: I added this question on this thread because I don't really want to do it to live vocals, I just want to try this effect on samples I have in my E6400...

I'm not sure if I got it right, but if that's the case, maybe try the obvious: put a sample trough very lush and big reverb, sample it down and then reverse it? Maybe add some time-stretching/change pitch also?

Hope it'll help You :)
roon

Gear: Roland MC-808, Alesis Micron, Waldorf Blofeld, Lots of tape.
Band: The Doomsdays

Postby rharris07 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:54 am

Watch on youtube.com

At around 2:12 is EXACTLY what I want to be able to do...but I really don't want to use software for it. Am I screwed? It's neat because the vocals are going even as it continues to sound like reverse reverb behind the dry vocals...a cool mix of the two. Anyways - any ideas on how to do it without software by chance??

MEK | SixTrak | DrumTraks | Motif 8 | DW8000 | MicroKorg | EMX1 & ESX1 | Soviet TOM | Arp Quartet | SD-1 32V | Elka 490 | Indigo 2 | E6400 | Morpheus | SQ2 | DotCom Modular
rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member

Band: Ghost Fires, The Witch Family

PreviousNext

Return to Samplers