yamaha dx200 tell me about it

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

yamaha dx200 tell me about it

Postby ianjhicks » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:36 pm

im considering getting one of these and selling my dx7...

basically programming the dx7 is too much of a headache, plus the thing weighs a million pounds and im trying to get most of my live set up to all fit on the same table sooo, the dx200 seems like an attractive alternative, just curious to see what people on here think of them
ianjhicks

Gear: 808, 707, pro one, juno 60, jx3p, juno 106
Band: Soft Metals

Advertisement:

Re: yamaha dx200 tell me about it

Postby flowthrough » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:08 pm

Love it.

The Effects section is very useful- and the FM sound is lovely -Sounds cleaner/clearer than the DX7 and DX7II (unless you engage the "OD+AMP" in the effects section, of course!).
- plus you get a nice little drum machine, with decent drum samples.

It's not multitimbral (the synth section)... so I bought two of them :-).
flowthrough

Postby zukskywalker » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:20 pm

It is a nice sounding unit with a fair amount of flexibility and since you mentioned use in a live rig another nice feature that might interest you is the fact that almost all the knobs send out midi data.
zukskywalker

Postby gordwiebe » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:24 pm

I really like mine as well... but have never had a dx7 so I can't make a comparison.
Unfortunately, you can't fully edit all the operators etc... from the front panel - this must be done on the computer with the yamaha editor.
Fortunately, I believe the dx200 can load dx7 patches without any conversion needed.
gordwiebe

Gear: motif ES rack +cards, alesis fusion, E-MU PX7 + cards, siel MONO

Postby Cerebral Infect » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:27 am

The issue I see with the DX200 is the lack of a proper computer editor. And if I remember well, it didn't work well with win XP.

Also with the DX200, you cannot edit all the FM synth parameters with the user interface, you need the software to do it.

As for the sounds and mangling, it had a good presets selection as they were pretty much over the edge preset in the 90es, so not hear alot.

I sold mine, but do regret it a little bit in the end.
Minimoog Voyager, Pulse 2, MS-20 Mini, Bass Station 2, Virus TI,DSI Mek, DSI Prophet 08, Nord Modular G2, Future Retro XS, KP-3, x0xb0x, MB-6582, Sammich FM, Juno 106, S90ES, Er-1, TX81Z, DM10X e-drums, Rocktron Banshee. Dr-110 and 2 lava lamps
Cerebral Infect

Postby Villi » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:38 pm

I enjoy mine as well, although I wish it had full control over the FM from the front panel.
Villi

Gear: Yamaha RS7000 & DX200, Quasimidi Sirius, Casio CZ5000

Postby ianjhicks » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:46 am

does the editing software work on a mac... also could someone send me the software? that would be awesome!
ianjhicks

Gear: 808, 707, pro one, juno 60, jx3p, juno 106
Band: Soft Metals

Postby idiotboy » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:55 am

IIRC, the DX200 includes Yamaha's FM and AWM engines, which is great; but,I think you can only assign the FM engine to one of the four sequencer tracks with the other three going to the ASM engine.

I'm not certain of this, so someone correct me, but if so, it might be a factor the OP would want to ponder before purchasing.

Edit: I should say, despite all that, I still think it's a cool box!
idiotboy

Postby tom Cadillac » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:25 am

This was my main synth in a band I used to be in and I also used to use it for improvized music a lot. Basically the dx7 engine with knobs - I never programmed it much, but live the amount of mangling you can get out of knob twiddling is immense. Its in a ridiculous kid beatbox package with a very condescending manual. Probably yamaha just wanted more milage out of existing tech and why didn't they go further? :? I use an fs1r now and love the fm sound, but the dx200 still rocks!
"On the following day , the sorcery undespairingly continued: I changed my series, chose other sequences, cut other lengths, spliced different progressions, and hoped afresh for a miracle in sound." (Stockhausen)
tom Cadillac

Gear: FS1R, EPS, JP8000, Kaos pad, Ineko, SP606, Mopho, MP7 and so on....
Band: Bipolarbass

Postby computron » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:17 pm

I was allways wanting to try one of these or its brother the AN. Alot have come up cheap on my local c.list.
But I heard that both these units SKIP the frist note of a sequence and jump to the second when changing threw them it starts on the second note.Is this true about them or myth ? They say no op was made to fix this ?
Living the Electro Life
computron

Band: Computron

Postby felis » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:54 pm

computron wrote:

... I heard that both these units SKIP the frist note of a sequence and jump to the second when changing threw them it starts on the second note.Is this true about them or myth ? They say no op was made to fix this ?

I had both the AN200 and the DX200 and neither of mine ever did that. I heard a lot of complaints about it though.
Only thing I didn't care for - like others have said, you need a computer to get at all the editing parameters
felis

Postby factual35 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:32 pm

idiotboy wrote:IIRC, the DX200 includes Yamaha's FM and AWM engines, which is great; but,I think you can only assign the FM engine to one of the four sequencer tracks with the other three going to the ASM engine.

Arent the AWM sections just drum sounds, or are there other sounds too?
factual35

Gear: Korg EA-1,Korg ES-1, Korg Monotron, Alesis Micron, DSI Evolver Desktop
Band: Mike Rochip

Postby Villi » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:35 pm

There's two or three bass sounds too (on octave for each), but yeah, mainly percussion/fx type sounds.
Villi

Gear: Yamaha RS7000 & DX200, Quasimidi Sirius, Casio CZ5000

Postby Dano » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:23 pm

Cerebral Infect wrote:The issue I see with the DX200 is the lack of a proper computer editor. And if I remember well, it didn't work well with win XP.

I liked the computer editor that was included with it and had no problems using it with Windows XP...just my $0.02 though. The one odd thing I about the editor is that when assigning envelope times the lower values (e.g. 1,2,..) gave longer envelope times and the higher values (e.g. 126, 127) gave shorter envelope times.
Dano

Postby computron » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:21 pm

felis wrote:
computron wrote:

... I heard that both these units SKIP the frist note of a sequence and jump to the second when changing threw them it starts on the second note.Is this true about them or myth ? They say no op was made to fix this ?

I had both the AN200 and the DX200 and neither of mine ever did that. I heard a lot of complaints about it though.
Only thing I didn't care for - like others have said, you need a computer to get at all the editing parameters

Does one realy have one of these that does this note skip ? Or is this a synth myth? heresay ??? This why I keep passing up a AN in my setup.Any solid info on this would be appreacited :D
Living the Electro Life
computron

Band: Computron

Next

Return to Buyer's Guide