Korg Triton --- how on earth do you....

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Korg Triton --- how on earth do you....

Postby ShropshireFad » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:05 pm

I can't for the life of me figure out how to do one of the most simple things, which is --- to get rid of the touch sensitivity on the keys, so theres just the one volume however hard i'm hitting them.
There's nothing specifically about it in the manual, can anyone help???
ShropshireFad

Advertisement:

Re: Korg Triton --- how on earth do you....

Postby nvbrkr » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:32 am

This is probably not the type of help you're looking for, but anyway: If you're relatively new to keyboards, I think you're better off just learning how to play with the velocity sensitivity enabled.

That feature has always been patch dependent on many workstations though. The sounds mimicking old analog synths have velocity reduced to zero, whereas acoustic instruments have more of it enabled - and so on.
nvbrkr

Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Postby CS_TBL » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:07 am

There may be very good reasons not to have velocity sensitivity tho. For instance when you are playing with old/analogue sounds coming from synths that had no velocity. Also, for pads you typically don't want velocity, as in: you don't want situations where in a C-major chord the E is incidentally software than the other notes - just because your finger had a bad moment -. Sure, you can fix that afterwards on the machine by diving into microscope editors, but what's the point.. it'll only eat up your time.

Also for acoustic instruments that are not pianos or guitars I can imagine that not having a velocity to add volume changes has advantage. You'd rather do that by recording a volume controller, afterwards or during the first take. These velocity 'errors' are typically keyboard/guitar/finger things, and have nothing to do with wind/brass or old synthetic sounds.

Another reason is: sampling sounds, for instance to 'copy' Triton sounds to a PC sampleplayer with accurate velocity switches. It's so handy to just have to strike a note without being bothered by whether the played velocity is right.
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids
CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Postby nvbrkr » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:47 pm

To the original poster:

you're probably best off asking that question here (in case no one at VSE can provide an answer):
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/

Sure CS_TBL, I know what you mean. But non- velocity sensitive keyboards were one of the main reasons why so many of my own generation never developed a proper technique (I'd include myself in that group too, to some degree). Usually the presets on the current romplers already take into account for what would be the optimal amount of sensitivity for playing anyway. We have here a person who already mixed up a Triton with Trident, and doesn't seem to know his way around the operating system either - so I suspect he is still a beginner.

I've known grown-up people who have decribed to me their MIDI keyboard being velocity sensitive a disadvantage, and planning to get a "better one" in the future. So that'll probably explain some of my additude towards this thing.
nvbrkr

Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Return to General Synthesizers