Synth Technicians and Repairs

The place for parts & services: Modifications, Spare Parts and Repair Services, Sample Packs, Accessories.
Forum rules
This forum follows the same rules outlined in Gear For Sale Rules and Guidelines

Moderators have the right to edit your posts to keep them within the framework of these rules.

Re: Synth Technicians and Repairs

Postby RockSteadyBeat » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:42 pm

I posted up a movie, showing the problems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFCQhmK9z-c

Thanks everyone!
RockSteadyBeat

Advertisement:

Postby jojoman » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:15 pm

Someone who can get the phonenumber from David White in Cambridge/Boston please?

Thanks,
jojoman

Postby Hair » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:56 am

I just had the most awesome experience going to Three Wave Music in Hawthorne, NJ. The guy who runs it is a friendly Japanese gentleman who worked for Hammond Japan as a tech for many years (Hammond Japan also made Oberheim, Ensoniq, distributed Kurzweil etc - he said he knows Oberheims inside out), and then ran a repair shop in NYC called Doctor Sound for a while - he told me he moved operations to New Jersey cause he didn't like the commute.

When I walked in I felt like a kid in a candy shop, he had a few Pro 5s, a System 101, a couple of the big Korg PS guys, a bunch of SH-101s, a couple of OB-X.. as? - I don't remember exactly - and a WHOLE lot more. In his back room he was working on completely overhauling an ARP Quadra. I left him my 106 which has a few dead keys (not the contacts or the voice chips) so I can't comment on his service just yet, but seeing as he makes his living off of repairing and selling vintage analogs I can't help but think he's the real deal. I also can't stress how nice he was!

This was the original craigslist ad(!) from which I found him:
Vintage Keyboard, Synthesizer ,Repair, Tuning, Restoration & Modification Services.

Synthesizers : Moog, Sequential, Oberheim, Arp, Yamaha, Roland, Korg, Akai, Kawai
Kurzweil, E-mu, Studio Electronics, PAIA, Clavia Nord, Doepfer,
Cheetah, Waldorf, Elka, Oscar, EMS, Octave,EML, Chroma, PPG, etc.
Electric Piano : Fender Rhodes, Wurlitzer Pianos, Hohner Clavinet, Pianet etc,
Organ : HAMMOND, Yamaha, Ace Tone, Teisco, Farfisa, Vox, Gibson, Fender,
Elka, Rheem, etc.
Drum Machine : Linn, Oberheim, Sequential, Alesis, Roland, Yamaha, Korg, AKAI, etc.

Kenton Modifications available.

* 30 years experiences.
* Fast Turnaround,
* Estimate
* Pick up & Delivery services available,
* Reasonable Rates,

Please call or e-mail for the details.
Phone : 973-427-0978
e-mail : threewavemusic@gmail.com

WE BUY, SELL and TRADE Vintage Keyboards.

Three Wave Music
114 Lincoln Ave.
Hawthorne, NJ 07506
973-427-0978

Image Image

Nothing in the shop was hooked up to play, but he said that what was there is only a fraction of everything he has, and that he's moving around May to a new location where he hopes to have everything on display and playable, so the above info may shortly become out of date. I'm probably going to get my ARPs to him as soon as I have the funds.
Hair

Postby prime2026 » Sat May 16, 2009 7:25 pm

As for a great tech in the Atlanta, Georgia area look no further than John Davis who runs Eagle Audio. He's great with vintage and modern gear, very knowledgeable and extremely helpful. His service prices are also incredibly competitive as he does not charge by the hour but instead by the piece.

Eagle Audio's number is (770) 886-8286

On the flip side, I advise to stay away from Logical Audio in Tucker, Georgia. They would not quote me a price on a part I needed to have installed even if they did the work, instead telling me that I had to come in and pay $45 for a quote so they could tell me how much they would charge me for the part. After talking to 3 people at this establishment it was confirmed that they do not "go out of their way" to tell you if they will overcharge you for a part or not until you pay the estimate fee.
prime2026

Postby 3rdConstruction » Tue May 19, 2009 10:56 pm

I am based in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. I've got an Oberheim Two-Voice SEM-based synth I dearly love & need to get repaired. A couple of posts have mentioned John Leimseider at the Cantos Music Foundation in Calgary. Can anyone comment directly on their experience with John/Cantos? Or are there any votes for any other Canadian technicians?
...speaking at length about something is no guarantee that understanding is advanced.
3rdConstruction
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, the true north strong and free(zing).

Postby cynep » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:46 pm

Well, I may not have a recommendation who to see but I do have a recommendation who NOT to see. Stay away from Armen's Repair in NYC (I think he's next door to Big City Music). I took my JP-8 to him... twice in 6 months for the same issue. Spent about $900 in repairs only to have same problem come back few months later. In process, he dinged and scratched up my flawless synth on front and sides. Place is so packed with synths it's virtually impossible to get around without knocking something over - most likely synth someone else brought in for a repair.

Really odd character known to low-ball people selling gear beyond any shame. Case in point: I was waiting to pick up my synth. Two guys walked in, brought an Oberheim Matrix 1000 and some crappy Alesis drum machine. He offered them $50 for Oberheim and $15 for Alesis. They scoffed as they wanted about $150 for the whole thing. He said no and they left. At the time he had my credit card - running it for repair. He wouldn't give it to me after they left. And when he gave it back to me he wouldn't open the front door (on a buzzer) until he was sure they were well gone.

He's also known to swap out good parts in synth for old ones. F*cking a$$hole, stay away from him.

Also, Danny's Amp service guy is related to the owner of Cintiolli's music in Philly - I think they are cousins. I once scored (an unrepaired) Mini Moog ModelD for $600 and Juno 106 for $325. Both needed work AFTER BEING BOUGHT AT THE REPAIR SHOP. When cintiolli's techs heard that I bought them they joked the only reason why I was able to buy those synths is because original owners died waiting for them to come back from a repair.

Cintiollis fixed several bad keys on my AX-7 for $50 within 3 days. It was a simple repair I know but I was happy. Not sure how more complex job would have been handled.

SHORT VERSION: Don't go to Armen's in NYC or Danny's Amp Service in NJ.
cynep

Postby JNeidlinger » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:57 pm

I'm looking for a reputable tech in the Southwest Michigan area. Anyone from the area have some insight? Thanks!
JNeidlinger

Gear: MS-10, MS-2000, CZ-3000, JX-3P, JX-8P, ER-1, MSQ-700, Prophet-600, Poly-61, x0xb0x, OB-SX, Moog Slayer EX-800, Polivoks Filter, Yamaha GS-2, and on...

Postby Black Tomorrow » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:21 pm

Deland/Central Florida area:

Raymon Brothers
(386)736-6108
www.raymonbrothers.com

I just had my Moog Rogue serviced here, and had a MIDIJACK installed. The price was reasonable, and the work was done well. He has several drop-off sites if you don't live in Deland.
Black Tomorrow

Gear: MG-1, V-Synth w/ VC1, Poly800, PSR740, SHS10, Boss DR770, Stylophone, Hammond M-143, acoustic piano, reed organ, didgeridoo, GPO4

Postby HideawayStudio » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:29 pm

HideawayStudio wrote:South West UK, England:

I highly recommend Andy Horrell at EMIS in Bristol - he is very experienced with both new and vintage synth repairs and owns over 400 vintage synths he has collected and repaired over the years!!! :D

EMIS
The Old School House,
Cossham Street
Mangotsfield
Bristol, BS16 9EN
Tel: 0117 956 1855
H.I.D.E.A.W.A.Y S.T.U.D.I.O
http://www.hideawaystudio.co.uk
The Home of Novachord #346
http://www.novachord.co.uk
HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Hideaway Studio

Postby Naive Teen Idol » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:18 pm

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good tech in the DC Metro area? I have a Jupiter 6 that needs new knobs and sliders. And the guy who replaced the JP-6's power supply and installed my Europa just moved.
Naive Teen Idol
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Roland Jupiter 6, Studio Electronics MIDIMini, DSI Evolver, Linn LM-2 Linndrum, Roland TR-77, Roland GR-300, Novation Remote SL 25

Postby Syn303 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:49 pm

Adrian Dolente @ Synth Restore UK

Synth Restore UK
57 Harpur street,
Bedford,
MK40 2SR.
England

info@synthrestore.co.uk

Has repaired everything from ARP to Yamaha.
Also stocks replacement parts for ARP, and Juno-106 replacement filter IC's
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |
Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member

Band: Syn303

Postby MTG » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:43 pm

I'm located in south Orange County, California USA. I have lots of experience (did warranty work for all the majors in the 80's and early 90's) in Canada. Now I'm a full-time developer in a different market in the US. On my down-time I do some work as time and parts allow for.

grant _at_ musictechnologiesgroup.com

Grant Beattie
MTG

Postby wertpog » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:32 pm

On the first page of this post back in 2005, Mr Rich mentioned a Roy Harrison of West Yorkshire, UK. Does anyone know if Roy is still available? Also are his contact details correct?
http://modularsamples.com - (public domain samples of classic synths)
wertpog

Postby synsonics » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:17 am

For those of you who live in Melbourne, Australia, this guy is great -> http://ubiksystems.com/
His contact email is on the page.
synsonics

Postby Malifatcat » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:00 pm

I live in Hampshire UK and am looking for a technician to repair / replace my Roland D70 screen (already have the screen) and also to restore all factory sounds, as the guy I bought it off has wiped most of them!!

Have tried a few different firms but they seem to just be timewasters and never get back to me. I have been waiting 6 months for one firm to contact me with a date to take synth to them and they keep ignoring my e-mails!

Anyone recommend anyone decent?

Many Thanks

Malifatcat.
Malifatcat

Gear: Yamaha DX27
Roland D70
Ibanez BTB 757
Carlsbro Cobra
Band: E.L.O. L.O L.O

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Services & Other Goods