New Roland Groovebox?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

New Roland Groovebox?

Postby StepLogik » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:51 am

Don't everyone spray your pants with excitement, but there could be a new Roland groovebox on the way. The MC-808 has been moved to the "legacy" section of the US website. Big surprise - I didn't think it was ever very popular. I owned both the MC-808 and the MC-909 and they were both buggy clunkers but you could get something going really quick.

Now, if Roland combines the sequencing power of the MV-8800 with a Fantom-G sound engine and puts it into a compact Groovebox format - we might have something!
StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Advertisement:

Re: New Roland Groovebox?

Postby Mr Knesh » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:46 am

I personally feel that the fantom g sound is a bit vanilla for my tastes. IMO the sound of both korg's and roland's flagship sound engines this generation sound unaggressive. I need me some more cutty filters that don't turn in to high-pitched whining animals when the res is set too high.

I am excited to hear about a new groovebox. But I would like it to focus a bit more on drums than the micky-808 and 909 did. I would say that a sound generator that was full and rich sounding along with a drum machine with sounds and styles like the dr-880.
Mr Knesh

Gear: DP/4+ because in order to dive in deep, you have to DP.

Postby Stab Frenzy » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:31 am

StepLogik wrote:Now, if Roland combines the sequencing power of the MV-8800 with a Fantom-G sound engine and puts it into a compact Groovebox format - we might have something!

I have the feeling that Roland's design team just writes a big list of potential features then pins it to a dart board and throws with their eyes closed. Whatever gets hit goes in the next product.

They've done well with some things (V-Synth; luckily hit VA, amazing sampler and great playable interface) but others not so much (MC-808; motorised faders, sample-based synthesis, can't edit properly without a computer. WTF?)

Maybe your combo will get lucky next time?
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby StepLogik » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:20 pm

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Postby meatballfulton » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:50 pm

I'm not holding my breath. I think grooveboxes are close to extinction. Noone has released a new one since the MC808, leaving the (aging) Electribe X series as the last of the breed on the market.

When grooveboxes were at their peak, computer audio was still in it's infancy. Today for $400 you can have a laptop running Fruity Loops.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Moog Voyager, Live 9

Postby griffin avid » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:27 pm

I consider the Spectralis 2 to be the answer for the groovebox fix.

http://www.raditec.de/products.html

I would love a mini- MV8800 scaled down to less than a monster workstation.
NI Maschine is the merging of groovebox and computer..
I'd love a MOTU BMP/GURU with a dedicated controller...
or Korg to revamp that line.

It just seems like to you can't cram enough features in the box to make everyone happy without making a workstation that samples.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com
griffin avid
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby balma » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:51 pm

I had all the series once. FRom the D2 to the 909, all of them.

I would get the new model, if it does not come again with a big piece of cheese inside, instead a synthesis engine.
"If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies you won´t find another"
Carl Sagan

https://soundcloud.com/balma
balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Postby chrisrnps » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:23 pm

StepLogik wrote:Don't everyone spray your pants with excitement, but there could be a new Roland groovebox on the way. The MC-808 has been moved to the "legacy" section of the US website.

Or, they're just discontinuing the MC-808 and not coming out with another "Groovebox" product right now. :P
chrisrnps

Return to General Synthesizers