Ridiculous eBay 'Buy-it-now' and starting bids.

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Re: Ridiculous eBay 'Buy-it-now' and starting bids.

Postby Sir Nose » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:02 pm

BoxPhenom wrote: wait for a grandma selling a Juno 106 for 100$, then go give her 450$ because you are so grand and it's the actual current value.

That would be a tough one. At best I'd probably give her $250. I guess there is still time to become a better person.
Funkadelic wrote:nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty
Sir Nose

Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Advertisement:

Postby computer__controlled » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:16 am

completey agree with that post about , forgetting ebay... its a fukn joke that site , i have not used it for ages , instead i now go to auction houses or use local networks of musicians... it ends up being way cheaper and you truely come across things you dont know even existed... my advice .. stop whinging and writing posts on here , when you could better spend your time sourceing out other avenues for your gear collectiing..
best one i ever got was cr 68 off some old dude who had a piece of paper up at the local supermarket asking for fuk all for it, i raced around an gave him $100 for it , he was stoked an so was i ..
win win
computer__controlled

Postby blavatsky » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:56 pm

I've gotten most of my stuff local on craigslist and paid about what it was worth or less.

deals can be found on ebay but yeah it's full of overpriced gear. I know TB-303s are cool and stuff, but $2600? really?
as was said before, ask what you want and if a fool pays, then you won. Otherwise roll eyes and move on. Emailing sellers to mock them is a waste of time.

on the other hand I think my best deal was a Tascam US122L - not a synth but a decent 24-bit USB audio interface with 2 inputs. Found at a hillbilly flea market mixed in with souvenir shot glasses and car parts, $5.
blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: A4, Bass Station II, Juno 106, x-station, venom, fusion, MV8800, SP555, SP404sx, ESX
Band: Blavatsky

Postby LucB » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:14 pm

Tallowwaters should have his own TV show, a bit like Hell's Kitchen except he just schools grad students on how to 'keep it real'. hehehe like 'Did you come out of your mom ass or your father's? You stupid little nerd, grow a spine and some balls and stop asking for a free lunch, this is real life, you have to keep it real!!'

We already had a somewhat similar thread last winter :

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=45882

For some reason this thread has been somewhat polarized : free-market supportes vs skeptics

While the whole 'if it's too expensive he won't sell it' argument stands in some degree, it doesn't change the fact that there are other options to maxing out profits by surfing the hype. Capitalism is so present in today's world economy that anyone questionning the slightest element of it is answered as if he was a weakling or a dreamer.

Some have commented on prices, others on commerce, and a few made specific points on ebay, and it's hard to follow the discussion since everyone kind of picks the part of the argument they most connected with and rant about it.

Let's try something: an alternative story.

What would happen if those who ask very high prices started asking for reasonable (read: market) prices?

What would happen to those who already sell at reasonable prices?
What would happen to supply and demand in vintage synths?

I'm sure taking a rest from lashing out at each other and just speculate on the turn of events will bear more constructive thought.
LucB
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Yamaha SK-20
Yamaha CS-15D
Crumar Organizer 2
Eko K2 + FM4 + Rotomachine
Band: Mountains Unfold

Postby Hybrid88 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:34 am

Yeah fair point above,

however my post was meant to highlight the amazing lengths that "buyers" will go to to get an item. As far as the sellers are concerned, It's fine whatever price they want to set, I'm just not stupid enough to buy it and I don't think many people here are either. However I would never abuse a seller for advertising a overtly high price, and I think that it is wrong to do so.

To the post above regarding local auctions etc, good advice for the most part and I have been almost everywhere in my state looking for music gear and have come up with some good stuff, some cheap, some not so. However, don't forget that your geographical location has a rather large impact on what will be available Sometimes you have to go to eBay to get a specific item, eg, I would never find a Jupiter-8 in my state, mostly because there has never been a market for expensive pro keyboards either in the 80's or now, if you doubt this, you've never been to my part of the world. :lol:
Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff.

Postby Operatron » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:25 am

if you don't WANT to sell don't sell it ..... , simple , don't make an excuse to overprice something .

anywho

:)
Operatron

Postby BoxPhenom » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:56 am

I think what those sellers mean is that they want to sell it only if they can get that price.

I'm one of the apparently uber-capitalist who sells for unreasonable prices, but somehow still sells.

I think whatever it sells for is reasonable, the reason being that it sells.

A capitalist market is fairly simple and efficient, I don't get the point of people criticizing it even if I totally understand that it's absolutely devoid of compassion and understanding.
I believe in human rights, like free health care and so on, getting synths for discount prices is not one of them :)

I've sold some gear for record prices, but I'm not ashamed nor proud, they sold for what I and someone else thought they were worth.

Again, some better deals are available off eBay, don't be lazy.
Buying stuff on eBay is not only buying goods, you also purchase a service that provides more availability, and gives you certain warranties etc.
BoxPhenom

Postby vin14 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:21 am

Hybrid88 wrote:Yeah fair point above,
To the post above regarding local auctions etc, good advice for the most part and I have been almost everywhere in my state looking for music gear and have come up with some good stuff, some cheap, some not so. However, don't forget that your geographical location has a rather large impact on what will be available Sometimes you have to go to eBay to get a specific item, eg, I would never find a Jupiter-8 in my state, mostly because there has never been a market for expensive pro keyboards either in the 80's or now, if you doubt this, you've never been to my part of the world. :lol:

Well said, you're not the only one. These days vintage gear is very difficult to find in my part of the world too. In the 90s there were a few music stores that dealt in used gear, most of them are gone. Even them there was no chance of finding something rare like a JP8, just Poly 800s and the like. Same goes for our equivalent to Craigs list.
vin14

Gear: ∂Juno1 / BassStation Rack / CS-5 / D-50 / DX7 / Juno-106 / M1 / Minibrute / SK20 / SY85 / Trident / Virus TI / Voyager OS / Minimonsta / ImpOSCar
Band: oddball

Postby Hybrid88 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:03 pm

vin14 wrote:
Hybrid88 wrote:Yeah fair point above,

Well said, you're not the only one. These days vintage gear is very difficult to find in my part of the world too. In the 90s there were a few music stores that dealt in used gear, most of them are gone. Even them there was no chance of finding something rare like a JP8, just Poly 800s and the like. Same goes for our equivalent to Craigs list.

Yes true, ebay has affected things locally as well, most people would sooner sell it there than in the local paper and the much larger market audience means more intense bidding and thus, higher sale prices.

But don't discount local finds, I had all but given up on thinking anyone in the state had any quality synths, then one popped up locally on ebay. A mint OSCar, literally a couple of blocks from a place where I go for cafe food/shopping and have gone to for years and years, not knowing what an amazing piece of kit this guy had in his garage. Also just picked up a Roland RE-201 last weekend locally too so there is some very cool stuff if you can be prepared to A) look everywhere and B) wait years :lol:
Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby tekkentool » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:25 am

DREAMING SO BAD!
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Postby Hybrid88 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:03 pm

tekkentool wrote:

DREAMING SO BAD!

Yep, this is the guy from Awave Pro Music the music shop in Melbourne, I think I've said enough on this guy - but good luck to him anyway, he needs all he can get. I bet we'll be seeing this 101 cycling through ebay for about the next, oh about five years - good one Awave \:D/
Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby kurtz » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:48 pm

Rangoon probably has it right, many Ebay listings are designed to bypass Ebay fees.
kurtz

Gear: Kurzweil K2Vx

Postby Automatic Gainsay » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:36 pm

The secret to eBay is that your synth will sell for what it sells for. You might be able to inspire someone to play more than most others by having a description which really suits their desires... you might find someone who will pay a stupid amount simply because they are wealthy or uninformed or insane... you might just get lucky. But on average, your synth (especially analog) will go for pretty much what your synth goes for.

As such an insanely high BIN is either sign that the seller is hoping to exploit someone, or that they are totally ignorant of the general value of the synth. There is simply no other reason for it. That's why it irritates me.

If you want to see if you can get a bit more for your item by pricing your BIN at more than the average price that your particular synth goes for, more power to you! There may just be someone who wants your synth enough that they'll pay the extra to get it. However, there's a big difference between a high end price for a synth, and a price which is 4 or 5 times what that synth averages.

There has been a huge decrease in analog synths on eBay, and as this decrease continues, you see more and more insane BINs. I find myself saying "that had better be made of gold," a lot.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Minimoog, ARP 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, Dubreq S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Hohner Pianet T, Wurlitzer 7300, Wurlitzer 145-A.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Postby balma » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:35 pm

Absolutely agree with the variety. I remember Ebay 2002.
So much variety on those days.

Got a SP 808ex sampler, with ASCII, digital/optical inputs outputs, and a external CD burner for $200.

Now the 50% of synths on Ebay are

MICROKORG colourfull ads

MICRON colorfull ads

I have seen a small increase on synths on Amazon. They almost do not have any used synths, but I recently saw an Evolver on $300.... with no issues.

I got my JUNO 106 on EBAY onm 2003 on $450....

this guy is asking $700 :lol:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Roland-Juno ... 3ca71610e6
"If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies you won´t find another"
Carl Sagan

https://soundcloud.com/balma
balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Postby Ry-Fi » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:51 pm

Ry-Fi
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Ion, MKS-30, MKS-50, SQ-1+ 32-voice, TX81Z

PreviousNext

Return to Buyer's Guide