Yamaha SY-77 vs Roland D-50

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Yamaha SY-77 vs Roland D-50

Postby rickyd » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:58 am

I got one for you guys - For fun's sake ya know :D . What do you think about this lineup ?

It seems as if the SY-77 would be sorta like Yamaha's FM version of a D-50. Both are said to produce some wicked sounds when creating your own and ignoring the dated presets. Both are said to be capable of producing lush, analog type sounds, although being digital.

Both are unique in their own way, but overall, which one DOES IT best for you? Of course this is all about personal opinion and not a right or wrong answer. I never owned either, so I really don't have anything to add to the conversation except that both sound pretty frikkin hot from what I've heard. I just thought I'd bring it up, since I haven't seen this shootout yet.

Well, enjoy.

PS: I think it would be fun to post some tracks, one from each synth. IF anyone of you decide to do this, the drums don't have to come from the synths, just the melodies.
rickyd

Advertisement:

Re: Yamaha SY-77 vs Roland D-50

Postby D-Collector » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:07 pm

Linear Drift - Roland D-50 only. Demo by Analog Kid
Green Crystals - Roland D-50 only. Demo by Paolo Di Nicolantonio
Seashore Morning - Roland D-550 only. Demo by Don Solaris

Originally posted by Don Solaris at the gearslutz forum in a D-50 related topic, but these demos have frequented this forum before. I have yet to hear a nice collection of instrumentals made with only a SY77, but I would very much like to. :D
D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby madrasputin » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:15 pm

For me man, the D-50, hands down! I just got one about two weeks ago and I'm in love with this synth! The SY-77 is nice as hell but the D-50 just seems more versatile (especially with the PG-1000 programmer) and easier to really tweak out if you know what I mean. I do believe the D-50 was Roland's shot at having a contender for the Yamaha DX-7 at the time of production. In my opinion, even though a LOT more big name artists have used DX-7s over D-50s, it still kicks the hell outta the DX-7 and the SY-77! I do however, love my DX-7, but you didn't mention that one! I just had to mention it, sorry! lol!
madrasputin
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Many mechanized instruments that produce lots of sounds that make folks say "oooh" and "wow" a lot.....

Postby rickyd » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:24 pm

madrasputin wrote:For me man, the D-50, hands down! I just got one about two weeks ago and I'm in love with this synth! The SY-77 is nice as hell but the D-50 just seems more versatile (especially with the PG-1000 programmer) and easier to really tweak out if you know what I mean. I do believe the D-50 was Roland's shot at having a contender for the Yamaha DX-7 at the time of production. In my opinion, even though a LOT more big name artists have used DX-7s over D-50s, it still kicks the hell outta the DX-7 and the SY-77! I do however, love my DX-7, but you didn't mention that one! I just had to mention it, sorry! lol!

It seems like a toss up for me yo, as far as versatility goes. Right after posting this topic I went and actually purchased a TG-77 (SY-77 in a rack) off of ebay. Lol. I couldn't resist it.

It hasn't arrived yet, so I don't know first hand about it, but from everything I've heard from both synths online I have to give both the same score in the sonic versatility range. The D-50 is basically virtual analog in struct 1 mode, and the Sy-77 is FM, yet it can sound analog as hell.

When the TG-77 gets here, I'm gonna make a booming track with melodies from it and try to post it here. :D .
rickyd

Postby ItsMeOnly » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:37 pm

ItsMeOnly

Gear: In: Wavestation, 01R/W, K3m, TX802, TG77, VZ-10m, CS1x, D-550, U-220, S2000, S1100.
Broken: CR-78, DX100.

Postby D-Collector » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:45 pm

Actually, I forgot about this cool SY77 multimode demo from Deepsonic:

http://www.deepsonic.ch/

I have always wanted a SY77, seems like a deep and fun synth to explore.
D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby rickyd » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:29 pm

I tell you, that SY-77 sounds just like an analog. If I had no clue that this demo was supposed to be from a FM synth, I would've guessed a straight up anlalog synth.

You cannot sit there and tell me that is not one unique FM synth.
rickyd

Postby D-Collector » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:24 pm

ItsMeOnly wrote:Both, they complement eachother.
TG77 at its best http://ftp.do.id.uw.edu.pl/pub/music/TG ... Chorus.mp3
D50 take http://ftp.do.id.uw.edu.pl/pub/music/D- ... quence.mp3

That D-50 patch is your creation if I'm not mistaking? Excellent work btw. I have made some variations from it.
D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby b3groover » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:25 pm

The SY77 can sound very analog using just two operators. The digital filter has resonance and can easily go into self-oscillation.

I found a tune I did back when I was 15/16 years old that has a lot of analog textures in it. I'll upload it soon.
b3groover

Band: THEO

Postby madrasputin » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:15 am

all good points and links to show the SY-77's versatility! honestly i'm digging the synth a lot more now that i've heard some more tracks done with that beast! i still love my D-50, but i gotta give mad props to the SY-77 for being an FM that can sound fierce analog when need be! thanks for showing me some cool stuff done with the SY-77 guys!!
madrasputin
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Many mechanized instruments that produce lots of sounds that make folks say "oooh" and "wow" a lot.....

Postby rickyd » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:40 am

madrasputin wrote:all good points and links to show the SY-77's versatility! honestly i'm digging the synth a lot more now that i've heard some more tracks done with that beast! i still love my D-50, but i gotta give mad props to the SY-77 for being an FM that can sound fierce analog when need be! thanks for showing me some cool stuff done with the SY-77 guys!!

Ditto on that! The demos proved how great this synth can be. Definitely a tough competitor to the D-50.

One thing I know that I will give to the D-50 besides it being warmer than the SY-77, is the D-50 is said to have this lush, "evergreen" quality about it that makes it magical or "alive" to some. Would you say the SY-77 has a unique character to it that makes it stand out as well?
rickyd

Postby b3groover » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:25 am

Okay y'all forced me to pull out a moldy oldie from my checkered (read: nerd-filled) past! Here's a sequence I recently found on floppy that I made back in '93/'94, so I would've been somewhere between 16 and 17 years old at the time. This is just straight from the SY77's outputs, with a hint of limiting via Cubase to raise the overall dynamic level a bit.

I admit I edited the original drums for the mp3 because the samples I used back in my teenage days sucked. So I just changed the snare and kick sample waveforms from one of the internal SY77 waves to a couple from the "House & Rap" RY30 wavecard. Yes, RY30 wavecards are compatable with the SY/TG77. This is the only expansion card I ever bought. I wanted to get more but by the time I was out of high school and actually had a job, the SY77 and RY30 were old news and I couldn't find them. Boo.

Anyway, for your listening and snickering enjoyment, a pseudo-analog AFM fest straight from the SY77 circa my teenage brain in 1993/94, a little tune called "The Guardian".

Enjoy!

b3groover

Band: THEO

Postby rickyd » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:30 pm

Great demo! My favorite part is around the last 3 mins of it when the big fat swells start coming in for a while, then the tom sounding drums.

For some reason the demo invokes the feeling of me being in the Sahara desert at night while a mild sandstorm is going on. lol

b3, you sure you did not get this from a virtual analog? lol. Talk about FM fatness, jeeeeeez. Fat and just bloated as hell.

When my TG-77 gets here, I will never touch my NI FM8 again. lol
rickyd

Postby D-Collector » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:42 pm

Cool demo b3, you know your style there reminds me a bit of some Amiga tunes I know.

Yes, the SY77 does indeed come across as a very versatile and warm synth. One thing I wonder about, many people have complained about the internal sequencer.. How does it work compared to other hardware sequencers? Is it difficult? Linear or pattern based?

I emailed about a very good condition SY77 yesterday for about $260, unfortunately he had sold it some hours before my mail.

rickyd wrote:One thing I know that I will give to the D-50 besides it being warmer than the SY-77, is the D-50 is said to have this lush, "evergreen" quality about it that makes it magical or "alive" to some.

It sure has! :D
D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby crystalmsc » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:02 pm

Those two demos are some of the most enjoyable tracks out of a workstation.
b3groover wrote:a pseudo-analog AFM fest straight from the SY77 circa my teenage brain in 1993/94, a little tune called "The Guardian".

Sounds fresh to me.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 9 Suite, Push, Ultranova, MS-20m
crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt
Kronos,mntrb,Volcas,WD1.WDm
NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080
MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex
Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x