Hartmann Neuron vs. Korg Oasys

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Hartmann Neuron vs. Korg Oasys

Postby paugui » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:09 pm

If you had a lot of money to spend on one digital synth, which one would you choose?
From what I saw, they can go to quite similar prices - I think the current prices of the Neurons in Europe are around the 4000 euros while the Oasys 88 are around 4500 euros, right? - which led me to consider this versus thread.

The Hartmann seems to be much more distinct from the Oasys.
However, on the Oasys you can use a lot of different synthesis methods, instead of just one, despite most of these synth methods are available on much cheaper alternatives.

Best regards

Paugui
paugui

Advertisement:

Re: Hartmann Neuron vs. Korg Oasys

Postby shaft9000 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:16 pm

completely different instruments, imho.

An Oasys is an Ultimate Workstation/Studio while the Neuron is a bizarre sampler cum synthi re-combobulator from Neptune's 4th moon - a bit like a D-50 on DMT...the overlap between the two boards is whisper-thin, methinks
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies
shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: ZF synchromesh 6-speed manual transmission

Postby paugui » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:51 pm

I know that they are quite different equipment, but since they are nowadays at the same price range, as the most expensive digital instruments (excluding old Fairlights and other "ancient" systems), I thought it would be interesting to see which one would you prefer?

I am tempted to believe I would choose the Neuron, as it seems more unique (I don't think other equipment sound like it at all) than the Oasys.

I believe that most of the Oasys is available on other instruments (I'm not saying it is as good, but you can get something similar), and I would likely want to have those other instruments too.
I am quite interested in Physical Modeling and hence I would be really interested in getting a Z1, as I have a voice expansion board waiting for one, and as far as I know, it has different algorithms.
The organ part, the emulation of the CX3, isn't that interesting too me, which is something I wouldn't mind losing.
The VP-7 seems quite interesting but from what I saw it is similar to a Yamaha SY99, which means that if I am not really into using my own samples, a TG77 (which can be bought fairly cheap) is likely to give me a similar kind of sounds.
I already have the Legacy collection which I hope sounds similar to the LAC-1 in the Oasys.
The AL-1 I think can be found in the Radias (which I seems to have a nicer interface).
I heard the HD-1 in the M3 is not as good as in the Oasys, but the only thing in which I would be really interested would be to use the wavesequencing capabilities, for which a Wavestation or an Ensoniq TS-10/12 might do a nice job emulating too.
This doesn't seem a really expensive package (especially if one has a recent VA, which coupled with the Z1 I hope it should be a good alternative to the AL-1).

It's true that on another hand I could get a Neuron VS instead of a hardware Neuron, but so far I have heard that sometimes the VST doesn't work that good and it gives you not that many voices (and it is also more limited).

Considering this I would say it would probably be better to get a Neuron (despite I don't know if the software could replace the hardware Neuron... maybe you can answer that Shaft?).
What do you guys think?
paugui

Postby shaft9000 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:37 am

paugui wrote:It's true that on another hand I could get a Neuron VS instead of a hardware Neuron, but so far I have heard that sometimes the VST doesn't work that good and it gives you not that many voices (and it is also more limited).

Considering this I would say it would probably be better to get a Neuron (despite I don't know if the software could replace the hardware Neuron... maybe you can answer that Shaft?).
What do you guys think?

the VS is the exact same code of the keyboard -minus the FX section- so you don't lose anything in sound as the Neuron was really just a PC inside anyhow. Use decent D/A and the sound should be 99%+ identical.
Also, I've heard nightmares regarding replacing the battery in those boards, so I opted for the VS. On a 3-yr old Athlon X2 4200 I get at least 8 voices and no dropouts. Just get a fast current CPU for it and you should be fine.
afaik Bug reports these days by and large come from the Mac camp as it's not optimized for OS X.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby paugui » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:58 am

Ok... so it must not be wise to get a Neuron for about 4000 euros, right?

I thought there were some differences in the sound architecture, but after searching for a while I couldn't find any others than the ones you mentioned on the reviews.

I use Mac and my "Music Computer" is a 2GHz G5 Mac, which will likely not be powerful enough for a Neuron.
I am also getting quite used to Mac, which makes the fact that it is not optimized for OS X a big drawback.

By the way, what is your opinion about the Neuron and it's strengths?
From what I've saw, it would be a really good synth for pads and strange soundscapes, but not that good for leads and basses (since I like a lot ambient music I think it would be a nice machine for me).

But against the Oasys, does it makes sense to get a Neuron for about the same price (probably some euros less) of the Oasys?
paugui

Postby steveman » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:41 pm

If you really want to spend that amount of money go for a Solaris... I'd also be very wary of spending 4000 Euros on a discontinued digital synth.
steveman

Postby paugui » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:03 pm

I was more into trading some equipment I have to sale, if I am lucky.
If not I definitely wouldn't spend that much money.
But I still could make money out of that equipment and try to buy other things.

It seems a quite interesting machine (from what I've heard it seems amazing on pads), and it could at least give a quite distinct sound to my music, as I believe they are quite rare.

But I definitely don't want to do a trade considering it to value much more than what it does nowadays.
So what do you guys think would be a fair price for one (what is the value one has nowadays)?

Also some opinions about the Neuron from some users would be really welcomed.

Best regards and thanks for your replies

Paugui
paugui

Postby shaft9000 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:53 am

i imagine a nice-cond Neuron board would fetch well into the 2.5K+usd range; you're getting that unique design and the interface is so much more.
But being able to get a VS (when one comes up, that is ;) ) with a new PC to go with it for under $1K is not out of the question. You just might be waiting a while...for either route.

the sound of the Neuron has greater front-to-back depth than any other VST I know...it does epic washes easily and timbres can be 'metalized' in a number of ways, tends toward additive sounds at times, and also can deliver some low-midrange grunt...though many preset patches overload easily, so I have to trim the VST output level on the DAW channel.
Neuron has crazy complex EGs and numerous mods for them. Not a synth I typically would turn to for a punchy bass or searing lead but who knows what it can do yet? It seems to excel most at morphed-out alien pads, eerie textures, bizarre drones and sample-mangling weirder than a V-Synth GT can hope to muster.
Ringmod was possibly designed by Lucifer himself. The resynator(resynthesis oscillators) routing options make for plenty of 'good weird'. You build your own models with the MODELmaker app. The filter is a whole section of the synth called 'Silver'- a bit ott but ...eh, that be how them softies go, right///

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby paugui » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:31 pm

Hi

I think I have to see if I can get a good deal on one then...
I am tempted for the Keyboard route, cause the interface seems to be really amazing, and I wouldn't be able to run it on a Mac, which is not that nice...

About the sounds, do you think it can go further from pads and strange sounds and do some nice melodic leads?
What other kind of sounds are Neuron's strength?
paugui

Return to Synth Shootouts