Novation SuperNova II vs KS

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Novation SuperNova II vs KS

Postby Hugo76 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:44 pm

I'm want to pick up one of these babies, but am slightly baffled as to which to go for.
It seems the KS series have more waveforms that the SuperNovas, but on the other hand the SuperNova II has a programmable arpeggiator and more advanced vocoder. Speaking of which; any opinions on the vocoders?

Any input appreciated.
Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Advertisement:

Re: Novation SuperNova II vs KS

Postby Villi » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:10 pm

The oscillators on the Supernovas are more flexible than they appear; even though it only have saw and square/pulse waveforms, it has the "hardness" (Or was it softness?) parameter that is like an individual low pass filter for each oscillator, and each oscillator also have it's own slave oscillator for sync.

That is from memory from research when I was considering getting one, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

The supernovas are 16-part multitimbral whilst the KS just have 4 parts if that matters to you.

As for the vocoder, dunno about the differences, but I love this KS demo:
Watch on youtube.com
Villi

Gear: Yamaha RS7000 & DX200, Quasimidi Sirius, Casio CZ5000

Postby Hugo76 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:11 pm

Thanks for the info & video Villi, awesome demo.
I think I'm leaning towards the KS rack, since I really need the space more than an extra keyboard.
Multitimbrality isn't really an issue, nor is polyphony - 16 voices is more than enough for my uses. I'll be teaming it up with a Waldorf Blofeld and Roland V-Synth + some other stuff.

Damn, the vocoded vocals at 5:00 sound pretty fab to my ears! :D
Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby princefan3 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:47 pm

go the KS route...ive not looked back since,the best synth ive played with and still want to play
day in day out...and yes it saves so much space...ive gone rack everything.
i even payed over the odds as they dont come up that often..this ones a keeper for me.
good luck.
princefan3

Postby Hugo76 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:52 am

Thanks, princefan. I've more or less decided to go for the KS, the various demos I've seen on Youtube have me convinced this is indeed a powerful beast. Can't wait to twist those knobs! :D
Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby shaft9000 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:34 am

i've had both SN2 and K-station

SN2 is 8 part multi, not 16
SN2 has about 3x the voice parameters despite appearances that suggest otherwise.
filter is much smoother and more 'analog' in behavior on SN2.
don't know why - it is perhaps because...
the K-station CPU is underpowered; delays can 'sputter' out or vanish altogether, and fx are generally lower quality and not nearly as flexible.
I don't know for sure if this is the same on KS series but supposedly they're the same as the K-Station.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies
shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: ZF synchromesh 6-speed manual transmission

Postby princefan3 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:29 am

i would say that the ks is more advanced than the k station as in the manual it states
that it has been developed after the release of the novas and k station,so in my
eyes an improvement...and you only get one audio output not with the k station.
yes it was also the you tube sites that promted me to this thing.
AND EVEN A TG500 AS WELL.

ive wasted money in the past buying unsuitable stuff.and it has to appeal to your ears
first. were so lucky to have you tube in this respect.

what i also like is that you have 4 seperate outputs and you can effect every one
individually...i can hear this unit on many songs coming out at present ie dizzy rascal
even last years match of the day.

tell us how you get on.
princefan3

Postby Villi » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:46 pm

The KS series was improved over the K-station, it has a multimode filter, more waveforms and it's multitimbral.

Given that the KS series has double the polyphony and is multitimbral, it's bound to have more CPU power than the K-station, but whether it's underpowered or not I don't know
Villi

Gear: Yamaha RS7000 & DX200, Quasimidi Sirius, Casio CZ5000

Postby stikygum » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:37 am

Hmm, compared to that video (no variety in it though), I've come up with some really off the wall patches from the KS. At some point I'm going to make a Youtube video of my KS-5. It's been fantastic as a keyboard - love the feel, and even though it's not as deep as the SN2, it's has additional features that take it into it's own territory. Hypersync for the effects is really fun too. I'd like to play a SN2 at some point, but I bought the KS-4 thinking I might want to upgrade to the SN2, but fell for the sound of this synth and ended up upgrading to the KS-5. I like the Novation VA sound, which it delivers, but the KS has a lot of really interesting stuff that can be done with it and haven't heard from other VAs. I'm not sure if the SN2 is like this, but I'm not too found of the menu diving, though there aren't a whole lot in submenus. The KS doesn't have an overbearing amount and even the SN2 has triple, but I guess I'm getting spoiled by my FR XS with one knob per parameter :P
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse
stikygum

Postby shaft9000 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:59 am

fwiw the SN2 doesn't make you menu-dive at all. Any extra params are reached by simply scrolling up and it quickly becomes second nature.
imho it's got possibly the best UI of any polysynth I've ever used....a brilliant layout!
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies
shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: ZF synchromesh 6-speed manual transmission

Postby stikygum » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:03 am

I'd like to try one for a couple reasons. Would like to compare the sound of each and also the workflow of the menus and what parameters are where. Mainly want to see how Novation approached the KS from the Nova design.
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse
stikygum

Return to Synth Shootouts