Arp Avatar Repair?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Arp Avatar Repair?

Postby IllElectro » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:06 am

I recently purchased an Arp Avatar. I brought it home and plugged it in and nothing. The light does not power on the switch when flipped on. I tried running audio thru the input and no sound. The sliders are all intact but need some effort to move. The synth was kept in a flight case and looks to be in museum type condition. No dents or scratches or broken sliders. What kind of spray would be needed to "lube" the sliders. Where and how much is a replacement power supply? I have a Novation Bassstation rack which i plan to use as Midi/CV converter. What kind of cable do i need to trigger cv? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
IllElectro

Advertisement:

Re: Arp Avatar Repair?

Postby Z » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:27 am

2 of my 3 Avatars were like that. One has been repaired, the other is at the shop. I don't remember what the problem was exactly but my tech was able to fix it. Here is the email form my tech for the one he's working on right now:
09/02/09 VERIFIED COMPLAINT. DIAGNOSED UNIT TO HAVE FAILED
COMPONENTS AND CONNECTIONS IN POWER SUPPLY. UNIT ALSO HAS A
FAILED MAIN OUTPUT LED. UNIT'S ATTACK SLIDER IS BROKEN.
SUBMIT EST OF $210 FOR REPAIR. ATTACK SLIDER IS NO LONGER
AVAILIBLE.

Standard audio cables are all you need to interface the CV/GATE. The Avatar uses mini plugs and (I think) the BassStation uses phone plugs, so you will need the appropriate connectors on your cables.
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby Maschinengeist » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:44 am

If I weren't so damn busy I'd say to ship it over to me. My fees are extremely low. Maybe next time?
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MuzikElektronix.com
Music electronics repair & More
Help? See TechZone
Parts? email!
Service Manuals?+/-2000 documents!
Sorry, they aren't free
Now on FACEBOOK: "Muzik Elektronix"
Maschinengeist
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Multimeter
Frequency Counter
Oscilloscope
Signal Generator
Logic Probe
and more stuff
Band: Cybernetik

Postby Christopher Winkels » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:13 am

The attack slider is no longer available? Aren't all sliders either 100K linear or audio? (I'm willing to admit I could be quite wrong on this!)
Christopher Winkels
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby CZ Rider » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:39 am

One of my Avatars did the same thing when I received it. I just disconnected power to the two guitar pitch to CV boards, and it started working fine. So...you could try powering it off and disconnecting the +15/-15 power connector on the two bottom boards. Power conector is a three wire twisted red/black/purple on a 3 pin connector. The top boards on the panel are the synthesizer. I have seen a few Avatars with those bottom boards removed. Only usefull if you want to try the guitar interface with the hex pickup?
CZ Rider

Postby sam » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:20 pm

It's likely that the tantalum caps have shorted on the power board.
Lam memorymoog.Sonic six.CS30.Roland SH-5..Vp330 mk1.system 101.SH101.Jupiter 8.OSCar.ARP odyssey..multivox mx3000.Solina stringsynth.polivox
ms20/50.Jupiter 4 .Andromeda. OBX.OB-1.
Prophet vs. Pro-one. Wasp.EMS VCS3
sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby schmidtc » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:46 pm

Judging by these questions it sounds like you should send it to somebody. You can't buy a new Avatar power supply, but if you want to try and fix it yourself, here's what to do. . .

Open it up and disconnect the molex power connections to all 5 boards. Then check for shorts between the +/- 15 volts and ground on the power supply and other 5 boards. One of them WILL be shorted. Replace the 10uf 35V caps on that one. You may blow another when you power it up. Same procedure.

CTS Arp Avatar sliders are not in production anymore and replacements are only available from synthrestore.co.uk. He also sells on ebay under the name agrian art or something like that. It's the same sliders as the Odyssey. This IS an odyssey in that the B and C PCB's where the sound is generated and processed are identical.

Arp's require a trigger in addition to CV and gate so your Bass Station might not work.

Don't spray some shit into the sliders. I'm sick of people wrecking perfectly nice instruments this way. If you've ever tried to restore an instrument where the boards are coated in decades of blended de-oxit dirt and dust, you will shout curses. The lube the ARP used on CTS sliders turns to glue without use, and spraying some cleaner in there will leave a big fat mess. If you want to clean these sliders, read the recent post on the analog heaven mailing list archive.

If this all seems hard, send it to someone who knows about this stuff.
schmidtc

Postby Steve Jones » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:10 am

sam wrote:It's likely that the tantalum caps have shorted on the power board.

That will be it.
Synthesizer service tech since 1982.
Synth parts and service, Sydney Australia.

http://www.synthrepairs.com
Steve Jones

Return to HELP!