Jomox MBase for non-kick percussion?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Jomox MBase for non-kick percussion?

Postby cartesia » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:02 am

So I was just wondering...
is the LFO speed able to go up to the kinds of levels necessary to make higher percussion tones (kinda like the pitch mod on the ER-1 will do)?
is the pitch able to go up to higher frequencies?
etc etc..

basically I'm wanting to get a percussion synth module to use in conjunction with my sample based drummachine (es-1) .. but i dont want to make 'normal' kinda sounds (eg 808/909).. just weird beeps 'n' buzzes 'n' such..

the other thing i was looking at were those modular percussion modules (cant remember the name now :? concussor? ).. the snaredrum one looked ideal for making percussion.

but that's expensive on a whole other level lol.

I considered getting an ER-1 but i really want something FAT as the es-1 sounds quite nice but can be a bit flat (particularly for kicks and also for things like crashes)..seems the contrast between the low quality samples and the analogue sounds should end up being a good balance for what im going for..

ideally i would get a vermona DRM1 but its above my budget at the moment, since i need to get a monosynth as well (mopho most likely)..

and unfortunately even if you sample something great into the es-1, it still ends up with that flattened sound.. Another thing i was wondering is if a good comp or maybe a subtle overdrive/distortion could bring things back to life?

thanks VSE :)
cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Advertisement:

Re: Jomox MBase for non-kick percussion?

Postby Stab Frenzy » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:37 am

You don't need to use the LFO, the oscs pitch track midi notes anyway.

I've got one coming soon so I'll be able to tell you how well it pitch tracks, I've heard there can but some issues with certain LFO settings, we'll see if the work-around works. It won't do beeps and buzzes I don't think, but for that I reckon you're better off with a synth and something to sample into anyway.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby pricklyrobot » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:16 am

Actually, one really nice feature of the ER-1—even if you don't like the sounds it makes (and personally I don't mind them)—is the two Audio Ins as drum parts. You can plug any kind of wailing electronic drone (Thingamagoop, for instance, good bleeps and bloops there) into them and instantly it's a nice gated sequenced bit.
Nord Mod G1 -- Arturia MiniBrute -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Roland V-Synth, JV-1080 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop -- 8 modules (and counting) o' Eurocrack
pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby cartesia » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:03 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:You don't need to use the LFO, the oscs pitch track midi notes anyway.

I've got one coming soon so I'll be able to tell you how well it pitch tracks, I've heard there can but some issues with certain LFO settings, we'll see if the work-around works. It won't do beeps and buzzes I don't think, but for that I reckon you're better off with a synth and something to sample into anyway.

Nono I meant lfo for pitch modulation... for pitch modulation.. not just for raising the pitch... as in.. is the lfo fast enough to be almost like youre playing a 2nd detuned oscillator, or can it only do the pew pew speed that a kick needs..

This kinda fast lfo pitch modulation is what gives the er-1 its ability to make percussion tones (besides the ring/cross mod)
anyhow let me know once you've got one, im interested to hear.

prickly my ES-1 can do that too with the inputs :)
cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member

Bass Station 2

Postby Stab Frenzy » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:49 pm

Ah right. Should be here within the week so I'll let you know. The ER-1 is the king of bleeps and buzzes but it's not that beefy sounding, but you can fix that with EQ. Definitely the best value for money in that regard IMO, although it's crap for the 808/909 thing it was designed for.

I think if you won tatts an FRXS or two would be perfect, but under $1000 the ER-1 is pretty awesome.
Stab Frenzy

Postby Villi » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:21 am

Villi

Gear: Yamaha RS7000 & DX200, Quasimidi Sirius, Casio CZ5000

Postby cartesia » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:13 am

Villi wrote:This maybe? http://mungo.com.au/dDS.html

...What the hell is that thing!!? :D

Looks pretty cool, demo is OK, it seems to do snares alot better than the ER-1 which is a good point..
some details on the specs/price would be cool? Is it analogue or digital? will it cost me my firstborn?

It really seems like it could be awesome though.. its like a single track taken out of a vermona DRM-1 or something

The ER-1.. yeah.. I guess its the only option...
I will probably just end up running an ER-1 + my ES-1.... maaaybe chuck an MBase on there one day still, when im rich(er)

Why oh why did korg never make an ER-X? :(
cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member

Bass Station 2

Postby Stab Frenzy » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:32 am

cartesia wrote:Why oh why did korg never make an ER-X? :(

That's what the EMX is, with added synth parts. The EMX has more drum voices than the ER-1, and it doesn't sound as dinky.
Stab Frenzy

Postby cartesia » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:19 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
cartesia wrote:Why oh why did korg never make an ER-X? :(

That's what the EMX is, with added synth parts. The EMX has more drum voices than the ER-1, and it doesn't sound as dinky.

The problem is it only has the PCM drum sounds... I know it covers most sounds. . but there's something about being able to synthesise the sounds rather than just play them... And from some inquiries i made to people about the EMX a while ago, its synth parts dont really have the ability to do really good percussion synth because the oscillators don't reset their phase or something everytime theyre triggered.
cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member

Bass Station 2

Postby cartesia » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:34 am

Hmmmm... I just saw that MFB makes modular drum-synth modules now too! This could be something... has anyone tried them?
cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member

Bass Station 2

Postby skweeegor » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:54 am

If you search for "Schlagzwerg" on youtube you'll find videos of the desktop drum machine version. The modules are the same.
skweeegor

Postby Belaya » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:56 pm

Maybe the new jomox percussion module? Sounds nice!

http://www.jomox.com/product_details.ph ... duct_id=13

Belaya

Return to Buyer's Guide