Using Paypal on the forum

Post ads for sale. Synthesizers, samplers, drum machines, software, live sound & recording, DJ gear, etc.
Forum rules
READ: Gear For Sale Rules and Guidelines | FOR SALE posting template

Moderators have the right to edit your posts to keep them within the framework of these rules.

Using Paypal on the forum

Postby space6oy » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:26 am

something everyone should learn - paypal now has the option to send payments as "personal" instead of "purchase." sending payment & using the personal method, they don't take a cent from the recipient.
Last edited by space6oy on Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
space6oy

Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Advertisement:

Re: Oberheim OB-XA 8 voice w/ Encore midi, Roland Tr707, DOD 585

Postby plikestechno » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:57 am

Ooooh...potentially exciting. But are you covered at all in case you get scammed or the item doesn't work? Seems cool on the surface, seems like Paypal might be trying to wash its hands of headaches on the other.
Serge/ModcanA/Frac/MOTM/Blippoo Box/Andromeda/Jupe6Eur/OctaveCatSRM/CZ1/SEIV/Pro Soloist/Korg770/Juno60/MultimanS/Minibrute/Microbrute/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1/Syncussion/FS1R/Weevil2012/Microkorg/Xoxio/MC202/JD990/MKS50/TX816.
plikestechno

Gear: Lots. See sig.

Re: Oberheim OB-XA 8 voice w/ Encore midi, Roland Tr707, DOD 585

Postby space6oy » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:59 am

headaches like people bitching about them taking a cut of the transaction. ebay's still making far, far more than enough with sales on their site and transactions regarding those sales (which are forced to be purchases instead of personal transactions). i'm sure you can still file claims when things don't work out as a buyer.
space6oy

Re: Using Paypal on the forum

Postby tallowwaters » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:17 pm

I've split this, but left it in For Sale since it seems pertinent to buy things here. I will sticky it in a few days.

Oh, and thanks for the tip. ;)
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.
tallowwaters

Gear: synesthesia, venereal disease, obsessive compulsive disorder, manic depressive disorder, and sensitive skin.

Postby Z » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:45 pm

Personal transactions are not eligible for seller protection, so I recommend only using it with people you trust. I've never had an issue with any transaction here on VSE. Also, the personal payments do not provide a shipping address (might be why no seller protection), so be sure to get the full address (and phone number) of the buyer.
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby space6oy » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:55 pm

thanks tallow for making this its own notification & z for the update!
space6oy

Postby otto » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:18 pm

I’ve used this a little involving really low cost items or working with people I know. You have no protection so it is my recommendation that you use it with people your familiar with.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again
otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby hageir » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:21 pm

Wow, thank you!
As a rule (for me now) I'm only going to use this with people I trust :)
hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

Postby kuroichi » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:38 pm

I've never had a problem on VSE with known members so a it's a good tip that could come in handy.

On some forums they have a meter on peoples profiles etc, that shows transactions with a grade for how many positives etc.

Could something similar be implemented on VSE?

Although I guess that could result in people blaming VSE rather than the individuals involved if something goes wrong.
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!
kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby tallowwaters » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:45 pm

Yeah for VSE, where you deal with same people over and over, this is really great and can save you some dosh on high cost items. I think I sell all of my gear to the same 5 people...
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.
tallowwaters

Gear: synesthesia, venereal disease, obsessive compulsive disorder, manic depressive disorder, and sensitive skin.

Postby expermusic » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:30 am

I wouldn't recommend this as I was screwed over a purchase this way. Paypal will not go after the seller, and I've sent money without getting my controller. My only recourse is to drive down to Virginia and file a case. Technically, paypal will not back anything unless it is an ebay order or something from a business...

Actually, I just had a quick idea... could we implement some way of feedback points attached to forum members who sell on here? Something like ebay's system but just for us, call it an extension of the good trader thread...
MFB Kraftzwerg, Euro Modular (w/ Noisering, Maths, Tame Machine, Doepfer A-143-9, A-154, A-155, A-160 so far) Nord Modular G2, Elektron SPS-1UW, Mini-kp, Novation Launchpad, NI Maschine, Novation Remote Zero SL MKii, Macbook Unibody 2.4
expermusic

Postby hfinn » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:56 am

expermusic wrote:I wouldn't recommend this as I was screwed over a purchase this way. Paypal will not go after the seller, and I've sent money without getting my controller. My only recourse is to drive down to Virginia and file a case. Technically, paypal will not back anything unless it is an ebay order or something from a business...

This is why we are all saying do this only with trusted people...
hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Postby expermusic » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:15 am

hfinn wrote:
expermusic wrote:I wouldn't recommend this as I was screwed over a purchase this way. Paypal will not go after the seller, and I've sent money without getting my controller. My only recourse is to drive down to Virginia and file a case. Technically, paypal will not back anything unless it is an ebay order or something from a business...

This is why we are all saying do this only with trusted people...

True. I stupidly did this over a craigslist ad... Live and learn. I'm only out $150, so I guess not that bad...
MFB Kraftzwerg, Euro Modular (w/ Noisering, Maths, Tame Machine, Doepfer A-143-9, A-154, A-155, A-160 so far) Nord Modular G2, Elektron SPS-1UW, Mini-kp, Novation Launchpad, NI Maschine, Novation Remote Zero SL MKii, Macbook Unibody 2.4
expermusic

Postby cartesia » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:56 pm

People always complain about ebay/paypal fees.. maybe it is more in not-Australia? I dunno.. it seems pretty insignificant to me compared to the cost of most music gear I deal with ($350+)..
cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Postby Toris » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:23 pm

Don't be under the illusion that paypal will look after you if you get shafted. I lost £500 in an ebay transaction 2 years ago. When paypal had finally completed their inefficient and laborious investigation, all they recovered was what was left in his account (£70) as he’d spent most of it while they were fucking about.

The whole ebay/paypal system is a victim of it's own success but they really don’t give a shit as long as the money keeps rolling in.

With this in mind, I don’t think you’re significantly safer by paying the recipient in the usual way.
Err...now what?
Toris

Next

Return to Gear For Sale