Korg MonoPoly

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Korg MonoPoly

Postby synthnoob » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:37 am

So Ive been interested in picking up a new synth. A couple of contenders are the roland Juno 60, sci prophet 600 and the korg poly6/monopoly. I know the korg m/p only has 4 voices but it sounds like a beast. So if you had to choose one which one would you go for and if you have a monopoly tell me how sick it is. Automatic Gainsay, your youtube vids are unhealthy man, they are too awesome.
synthnoob

Gear: TR-909,TR-606, SH-101, Microkorg, a couple guitars, a bass and a shit load of fuzz pedals

Advertisement:

Re: Korg MonoPoly

Postby RobotHeroes » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:42 am

synthnoob wrote:Automatic Gainsay, your youtube vids are unhealthy man, they are too awesome.

Oh god don't get him started...

:lol:
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:
RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Postby wiss » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:50 am

Korg MonoPoly.......it(s) modulation is just fucking wicked.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."
wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Postby Murderhausen » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:15 am

The Mono/Poly is the most exciting of the synths you mentioned. Second the awesome modulation. I never use it as a polyphonic synth, although the limitations in its VCA design make it unique when doing so.

What's really exciting is not just that the synth has four VCOs, but that they can be arranged in pairs when using sync and Xmod (all, of course, with control over shape, octave and fine tuning). In this configuration, VCO1 is the master for VCO2, and 3 is the master for 4. This allows you to make some neat, perceptibly bi-timbral sounds if you should desire, but my preferred use of this arrangement is in conjunction with the arpeggiator. One really neat thing about the arp is that you can of course cycle through notes of enormous four oscillator sounds, but if you switch to the poly mode while the arp in engaged, it will cycle through each VCO independently. This is great for things like combining footings and varying octave ranges to get unpredictable "spacey" sounds, and it is also useful to turn the VCO level down for various steps to get a 'sequence' with rests. BUT if you use the Sync, XMod, or the combination of the two with the notes cycling independently in poly mode, you will get alternating steps of clean sounds and nasty modulated or synced sounds. And by the way, you can adjust the LFO to modulate the frequency of all VCOs or just the slaves.

Here's what it sounds like in english:

beep-kkkrakakak-zap-brrrrrrrr

over and over again. With four VCOs, the pattern length will be 4 steps, but use the full octave range of the arp (3 usually) and the sequence will repeat less often. I don't know... I should just start making youtube videos for this synth because it is one of my favorite monos.
Voyager XL*LittlePhatty*ElektronTrinity*ProOne*Mono/Poly*NordLead2X/3*Juno106*JX3P*JX10*JP8000*VirusKB*Blofeld*Ion*OctaveKitten*Polivoks*MS2000*AN1X*AlphaJuno1/2*ESQ1*SVC350*MG1*CS15*DX7II*etc...
Murderhausen

Gear: Anyone want a Polivoks?

Postby synthnoob » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:54 am

RobotHeroes wrote:
synthnoob wrote:Automatic Gainsay, your youtube vids are unhealthy man, they are too awesome.

Oh god don't get him started...

:lol:

Hey I'm new here and I'm drunk (schools is canceled tomorrow). but they are pretty sick. The monopoly has so many feature and option and the four vco thing is sick. I would definitely love to have six voices but I think the four would be enough. Anyone want to sell one? What do you guys think is a good price for this guy. I guess what would be the cutoff price?
synthnoob

Gear: TR-909,TR-606, SH-101, Microkorg, a couple guitars, a bass and a shit load of fuzz pedals

Postby RobotHeroes » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:08 am

Average is like mid $800 to somewhere in the $900's. Cutoff price is whatever you are willing to pay. Any synth would have to be in really nice shape(functional/physically) for me to want to pay over the average if that is what the seller is asking.
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:
RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Postby Automatic Gainsay » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:35 am

synthnoob wrote:So Ive been interested in picking up a new synth. A couple of contenders are the roland Juno 60, sci prophet 600 and the korg poly6/monopoly. I know the korg m/p only has 4 voices but it sounds like a beast. So if you had to choose one which one would you go for and if you have a monopoly tell me how sick it is. Automatic Gainsay, your youtube vids are unhealthy man, they are too awesome.

Thank you, and thank you for watching!

Yeah, I would go with the MonoPoly amongst those. They polyphony is not going to be like the Juno or the Polysix, but the rest of the features are worth it.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Minimoog, ARP 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, Dubreq S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Hohner Pianet T, Wurlitzer 7300, Wurlitzer 145-A.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Postby monolith » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:44 am

The mono/poly is a killer machine, especially for crazy sounds, leads and pretty drone stuff.
I just posted a Mono/poly demo in the listening lounge in case you fancy hearing some of the things it can do.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=54159
monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby elmosexwhistle » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:33 pm

here's a quick question, in mono mode, do you have to use all the oscs at once, ie unison? or can you do 1 osc monophonic basses on it? or maybe 2 oscs tuned an octave apart, i really like analogue saw wave basses that sound like that.
elmosexwhistle
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Band: Elmo Sexwhistle

Postby monolith » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:17 pm

elmosexwhistle wrote:here's a quick question, in mono mode, do you have to use all the oscs at once, ie unison? or can you do 1 osc monophonic basses on it? or maybe 2 oscs tuned an octave apart, i really like analogue saw wave basses that sound like that.

Each osc. has its own volume and octave knob (16'- 8'- 4'- 2') so you can do both those things. =)
monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby redchapterjubilee » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:41 pm

Ah, the Mono/Poly, my nemesynth. I've tried to buy one three times and either had to cough up the money do to losing a job, buying a car or a house. Then over three years ago I finally bought one but it arrived broken. Some things just aren't meant to be, I guess.
http://www.soundcloud.com/kellyminnis
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS
redchapterjubilee

Postby roland4387 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:01 pm

Yep, the Mono/poly is the one to get, with the Prophet 600 second.
roland4387

Gear: TB-303(x's 2), EML 101, System 100 Model 101, TR-808 & 606, SH-2, ARP Odyssey MKII, Korg MS-20, Xbase999, Korg KMS-30, SBX-80, Future Retro Mobius

Postby tom Cadillac » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:43 am

Sorry to go aagainst the flow, but I'd choose a Juno over the Mono/poly any day. Because I find the Juno much more useful and musical. The Mono/poly to me is too wierd. I don't think it's even good for bass really - probably a lack of snappy envelopes or something. Sure it looks great - lotsa knobs and oscillators and so on. But it's a rather one off synth design for good reason - not easy to put it to good use. The Juno is the opposite - makes incredible use of rather restricted synth archetecture.
The Mono/poly seems desirable, but who ever took one on tour?
Also I don't think many were made/sold - so you're looking at some high prices.
So my advise is to go for something less flashy and more useful - especially if this is an early purchase in your well founded analogue desires. :)
"On the following day , the sorcery undespairingly continued: I changed my series, chose other sequences, cut other lengths, spliced different progressions, and hoped afresh for a miracle in sound." (Stockhausen)
tom Cadillac

Gear: FS1R, EPS, JP8000, Kaos pad, Ineko, SP606, Mopho, MP7 and so on....
Band: Bipolarbass

Postby Murderhausen » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:23 am

That's a good point; you should consider your desires from each of these products. If you want deeper experimental capabilities, go for the Mono/Poly. If you want a machine more practically suited for building songs, a Juno would be a better choice.

I will say that I find both synths can belong to either category, however. In a musical context I will use the Juno I have (a 106) mainly for pads and other polyphonic sounds, but have used basses from it because I do find them useful. The Mono/Poly to me is mainly a lead machine, but the basses it can produce are also excellent, though not Moog style. It sounds distinctly Korg.
Voyager XL*LittlePhatty*ElektronTrinity*ProOne*Mono/Poly*NordLead2X/3*Juno106*JX3P*JX10*JP8000*VirusKB*Blofeld*Ion*OctaveKitten*Polivoks*MS2000*AN1X*AlphaJuno1/2*ESQ1*SVC350*MG1*CS15*DX7II*etc...
Murderhausen

Gear: Anyone want a Polivoks?

Postby guitarsandsynths » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:43 am

I wouldn't buy the monopoly as a poly-synth. Not because of only 4 voices. It feels more like a mono-synth to me. The CS50 has 4 voices as well, and it feels more like a poly-synth to me. If you need poly go for the other ones. I had a monopoly and liked it a lot, and if I can I'll buy another one, as a mono-synth. The Junos are great, easy to get good sounds, with a very tight arpeggiator, but have DCOs. The P600 steps the filter resonance, and that's annoying to me. I don't have experience with the polysix. I know you have to be careful about the leaking battery problem. If you dont mind only 4 voices and want poly the CS50 is worth a listen. The ring modulator is sick! Good luck! :)
Moog ModelD SCI Prophet5 Drumtracks Roland Jupiter8 SH7 GR9 TR606 TR707 TR727 Oberheim OB8 ARP2600 KorgVC10 MS3 Rhodes73 Wurlitzer 200A ClavinetII HammondM3 Leslie120 DOTCOM PearlDRX1 TamaTS202
guitarsandsynths

Band: Brazility

Next

Return to Buyer's Guide