Electrix Warp factory

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Electrix Warp factory

Postby monolith » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:07 am

I've been wanting a vocoder since I parted with my MicroKorg (it was the only thing I used it for).
I'm considering the Warp factory, and apparently it's quite good, very intelligible - unlike the Micorkorg.
Has anyone used both? how do they compare?

If i get one it will come from the US, I see it has a 'kettle cord' type power jack. Will I just need a kettle cord or will i require a step down transformer as well? I'm in australia (240V)

Last of all, I will be using my Juno for the carrier signal, is it as easy as:
mic > Warp factory
Juno > Warp factory
warp factory to mixer/amp ?

or will i need a pre amp and compressor for the mic too?

thanks for any help.
monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Advertisement:

Re: Electrix Warp factory

Postby pricklyrobot » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:35 am

monolith wrote:If i get one it will come from the US, I see it has a 'kettle cord' type power jack. Will I just need a kettle cord or will i require a step down transformer as well? I'm in australia (240V)
I've never tried, but this suggests that you can just switch it somehow. I'd have a closer look at mine, but I'm moving apartments next week and I've just packed it up earlier today.

Last of all, I will be using my Juno for the carrier signal, is it as easy as:
mic > Warp factory
Juno > Warp factory
warp factory to mixer/amp ?

or will i need a pre amp and compressor for the mic too?
Obviously you can use a pre-amp and such if you like, but I plug a mic straight into the WarpFactory with good results.

Haven't used the MicroKorg vocoder, but I'm completely happy with the WarpFactory. Good sound, really solid build, and nice big super-smooth knobs that beg to be tweaked. ;)
Nord Mod G1 -- Arturia MiniBrute -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Roland V-Synth, JV-1080 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop -- 8 modules (and counting) o' Eurocrack
pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby monolith » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:45 am

Thanks for the info. I'll try track down a manual and see if that reveals anything. Do any of the tracks on your myspace feature the electrix?

Watching demos on youtube, it amazes me how clear it is. It turns out that black moth super rainbow use one, which is cool. The vocoder on their stuff sounds so good I assumed it was a vintage unit like a Korg VC-10 or the old roland.
monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby pricklyrobot » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:01 am

monolith wrote:Do any of the tracks on your myspace feature the electrix?
No, I really need to get some newer tracks up there.:oops: It's on my list of things to do once this move is out of the way.

The vocoder in the Nord Modular is also really good. You could probably pick up a Micro Modular for not too much more than the WarpFactory.
Nord Mod G1 -- Arturia MiniBrute -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Roland V-Synth, JV-1080 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop -- 8 modules (and counting) o' Eurocrack
pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby monolith » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:11 am

I found this in the manual, so it seems I should be good to use it here without a step down converter.

I read about the nord too, but it isnt really what I'm after. Thanks for your help :mrgreen:
monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby monolith » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:49 pm

I've read a couple (only 2 or 3) of comments saying there is a lag with the warp factory, have you experienced this at all?

re vocoders: I've used the Electrix Warp Factory live, and there is a slight lag in the modulator signal that can be quite off-putting (Maybe due to it being digital not analogue? - not sure). A workaround for this is to let some tops bleed thru from the vocal mic, so the sibilance is heard first, seems to make it less noticeable, and certainly easier to "sing" in time with the track.
monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby pricklyrobot » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:45 pm

monolith wrote:I've read a couple (only 2 or 3) of comments saying there is a lag with the warp factory, have you experienced this at all?

re vocoders: I've used the Electrix Warp Factory live, and there is a slight lag in the modulator signal that can be quite off-putting (Maybe due to it being digital not analogue? - not sure). A workaround for this is to let some tops bleed thru from the vocal mic, so the sibilance is heard first, seems to make it less noticeable, and certainly easier to "sing" in time with the track.

It would be hard to know exactly what he's talking about without having the specific settings to try and replicate it (also his terminology is a bit non-standard, by sibilance and modulator I assuming he means formant and carrier, respectively?). But, no, I've never noticed any strange delay-of-audio-signal type behavior when using mine.

If you can find the setting that are supposed to cause this, I'd be happy to try it out and see if I can create this lag he's talking about. It'd have to be next week though, after everything's moved and unpacked. :thumbleft:
pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Return to Buyer's Guide