Spectral Audio Neptune II or Moog Little Phatty Stage II?

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Spectral Audio Neptune II or Moog Little Phatty Stage II?

Postby projectwoofer » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:57 pm

During my quest for a new VCO mono synth I stumbled upon these two (there's also the new SEM but I believe this has a different sound so it's a different story!)

I know the Neptune is about 480 euros and the LP about 1000 euros but apart from the obvious price difference I think their sound is pretty much alike...

Basic Specs:

Neptune II: 3 ultra-stable VCOs with Saw, Square and Triangle waves-no PWM (Osc 3 can be used as a MIDI-syncable 4-wave LFO), Osc Sync, Ring Mod, Noise Generator, 24dB/oct low-pass and high-pass cascade filter with resonance, 2 envelope generators, analog distortion and fuzz, External Input, MIDI.

Little Phatty: 2 ultra-stable VCOs with Saw, Square (with PW) and Triangle waves, Osc Sync, MIDI-Syncable 4-wave LFO, 24dB/oct low-pass ladder filter with resonance and overload, 2 envelope generators, Arpeggiator, External Input, MIDI.

So feature-wise I think the Neptune wins, especially considering it's half the price of the LP but what about their sound? Is there anyone who had the chance to play both and comment on their sound? I'm looking for something vintage-sounding actually...
Last edited by projectwoofer on Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.myspace.com/woofergr
http://www.jumpingfish.gr/Woofer

Casio VZ-10M, Commodore 64 & MSSIAH, Dave Smith Tetra, Kawai K5000R, Korg X5, Roland D-550, Roland JD-990 (w/Vintage Synth card), Waldorf Miniworks 4pole, Yamaha TX7
projectwoofer

Band: Woofer

Advertisement:

Re: Spectral Audio Neptune II or Moog Little Phatty Stage II

Postby Christopher Winkels » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:23 am

I don't know if the Neptune has this, but the LP allows the user to switch from a 4-pole to a 3-, 2-, or 1-pole slope as well, which opens up a lot of different sound possibilities. It also has 100 memory locations, which are a big advantage, to say nothing of the keyboard.
Christopher Winkels
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby micahjonhughes » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:33 pm

I had a Neptune II. It was best for effect type sounds and definitely did not have a vintage sound to it. However, it is a capable synth and is not too expensive.
micahjonhughes

Postby projectwoofer » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:08 pm

micahjonhughes wrote:I had a Neptune II. It was best for effect type sounds and definitely did not have a vintage sound to it.

Really? Well, to my ears, it sounds vintage at times but I can only tell from some demos...which new monosynth you'd recommend for vintage sounds?
http://www.myspace.com/woofergr
http://www.jumpingfish.gr/Woofer

Casio VZ-10M, Commodore 64 & MSSIAH, Dave Smith Tetra, Kawai K5000R, Korg X5, Roland D-550, Roland JD-990 (w/Vintage Synth card), Waldorf Miniworks 4pole, Yamaha TX7
projectwoofer

Band: Woofer

Postby SWAN » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:44 am

they say the MFB Synth 2 or better Kraftzwerg has a reasonably vintage sound...at a good price...I have to say I never thought the Neptune sounded very vintage...
SWAN

Postby Tsarik » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:59 pm

i dislike MFB's OSC and build quality. good filters though

the Neptune II and LPII are both very capable synthesizers. patch memory is nice but i love programming so I would go with the Neptune if you have a decent keyboard/controller.
Tsarik

Gear: Future Retro XS, Eventide Eclipse, Novation X-Station, Waldorf Microwave XT

Return to Synth Shootouts