Using Paypal on the forum

Post ads for sale. Synthesizers, samplers, drum machines, software, live sound & recording, DJ gear, etc.
Forum rules
READ: Gear For Sale Rules and Guidelines | FOR SALE posting template

Moderators have the right to edit your posts to keep them within the framework of these rules.

Re: Using Paypal on the forum

Postby Altitude » Sat May 01, 2010 11:57 am

plikestechno wrote:...
Well I was a little late sending out a record a few weeks ago and the buyer after 3 weeks from payment filed a dispute and then immediately a claim for it.

3 weeks is a little late? I can ship a car by ship to Europe in less than 3 weeks... I would have done the exact same thing as the buyer. There is no excuse for being lazy, you are making money off your buyers and as a result you are held to a standard set by paypal i.e. if you sell something and the customer does not have it in 3 weeks, they get their money back. They didnt screw you, you did it to yourself
Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Advertisement:

Postby KLAXON » Mon May 03, 2010 11:21 pm

space6oy wrote:Image

This is very important. As you can see, the first post of this thread is wrong. The only way you will not get charged a fee when receiving a personal payment through paypal is if the person sending you the payment is doing so either through their bank account, or through their paypal balance.

In my experience, the majority of people who use paypal just to send payments, and not also receive payments, fund their paypal accounts through their credit or debit cards. If this is the case, you will be charged the normal fees, regardless of if they use the personal payment tab or not. (unless the sender agrees to pay the fee, but if that is the case, they'd be better of just using the normal method and adding the fee into the amount they are sending so they can have the same protection)

So, if you don't want to be charged a fee, you better ask how they are funding payment and make sure it is through their bank account, or else the fees still apply.
.....i have some things that create and sculpt sound.
KLAXON

Postby space6oy » Tue May 04, 2010 12:19 am

my experience has been the exact opposite, hardly ever wind up with buyers using credit or debit as their funding source. but still a good point.
space6oy

Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Postby pricklyrobot » Tue May 04, 2010 12:49 am

PayPal protections—or lack thereof—aside, it's much easier to dispute charges with your credit card company (you're only legally liable for the first $50 of a demonstrably fraudulent charge) than it is to try and get your bank to put missing cash back into your checking account.

I would never link anything other than a credit card to my PayPal account.
Nord Mod G1 -- Arturia MiniBrute -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Roland V-Synth, JV-1080 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop -- 8 modules (and counting) o' Eurocrack
pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby SynthatticCA » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:01 am

Paypal has no buyer protection policy whatsoever if the transaction wasn't made on Ebay. They also don't have seller protection (they say they do, but they don't!) even if the transaction IS on Ebay.

Paypal also places random holds on peoples' accounts, regardless of the transaction type. So, personal transactions can still be held. My own mother sent me $300 through Paypal a few months ago and Paypal held 20% of it!!!!
SynthatticCA

Postby rapfreak » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:36 am

SynthatticCA wrote:Paypal has no buyer protection policy whatsoever if the transaction wasn't made on Ebay. They also don't have seller protection (they say they do, but they don't!) even if the transaction IS on Ebay.

Paypal also places random holds on peoples' accounts, regardless of the transaction type. So, personal transactions can still be held. My own mother sent me $300 through Paypal a few months ago and Paypal held 20% of it!!!!

Not true, I got $500 back from a non-ebay paypal transaction when I didn't receive the item.

I've never been hit with holds on my account. Occasionaly I've sent money to people and it was held but they typically had very few transactions with PP. I've had a PP account since like '99 so YMMV.
rapfreak

Postby ColdTrinity » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:25 pm

Guys,
I wanna know how can seller can be on the safe side if item is picked up locally by the buyer (on ebay or off ebay) who can claim that he never received the item?
.... gold rush, golden years ...
ColdTrinity
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: SCI-Pro One/ROLAND- Jupiter 6, Juno 60/OBERHEIM-Matrix 6/YAMAHA-DX7IIFD/ACCESS-Virus KC/KORG-ESX-1, DW8000
Band: Voight-Kampff Machine

Postby space6oy » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:03 pm

personally i wouldn't do that unless you arranged the sale outside ebay.
space6oy

Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Postby ColdTrinity » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:41 pm

That's what I thought would be the best. Thanks.
.... gold rush, golden years ...
ColdTrinity
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: SCI-Pro One/ROLAND- Jupiter 6, Juno 60/OBERHEIM-Matrix 6/YAMAHA-DX7IIFD/ACCESS-Virus KC/KORG-ESX-1, DW8000
Band: Voight-Kampff Machine

Postby synthparts » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:07 am

For local sales I would always recommend cash and meet in a public place.
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com
synthparts

Postby marc61 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:19 pm

ColdTrinity wrote:Guys,
I wanna know how can seller can be on the safe side if item is picked up locally by the buyer (on ebay or off ebay) who can claim that he never received the item?

Pretty simple - make a receipt and have him/her sign it. Explain to them why. It should be a problem.
marc61
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Rickenbacker 4003 Bass, Fender Precision Bass, EKO Acoustic Bass Guitar.
Band: Fools on Sunday

Postby marc61 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:26 pm

Ebay and Paypal handle things very much differently. With Ebay you have an item listing, and there can be additional corresponding through messages etc. All of which Ebay can see. They usually decide their cases based on all of that.

Here's two recent experiences of Paypal only transactions I had as buyer and seller -

As seller - I sent clock to recipient. His claim...it arrived broken and was not as described as in the Ebay auction(I stopped the auction to sell to him). Paypal response - Too bad. He received the item, and it wasn't subject to the auction terms. I kept the money.

As buyer - Guy claimed he sent me concert tix. I never got them. 10 days later, money was back in my acct.

One thing that helps a lot is communication. I sent a bass guitar to UK. Took almost a month. I was tracking all the time, and let the buyer know. He stayed cool about everything and ended up loving the bass.

I've sent and received money under "personal" but only with people I really trust. If it's a known poster on these boards, I'd have no problem with it.
marc61
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Rickenbacker 4003 Bass, Fender Precision Bass, EKO Acoustic Bass Guitar.
Band: Fools on Sunday

Postby gizmophile » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:35 pm

Ebay fees are way too high which makes it so interesting to sell through forums.
Kind regards,
Ingrid
gizmophile

Gear: Nord Stage EX 88
Roland Juno G
Korg R3
Nord Micro Modular (for sale)

Previous

Return to Gear For Sale