Yamaha CS01 vs Novation BassStation

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Yamaha CS01 vs Novation BassStation

Postby plexicube » Sat May 22, 2010 5:11 pm

The recent MG-1 thread got me thinking about cheap analog monos again. IIRC, both of these synths are battery operable and both use DCOs. When considering the BassStation I'm thinking of the keys and not the rack, although I imagine anything usable in this arena would likely lend itself to sequencing. Does this in itself defeat the CS01?
Musicist and programmator.
plexicube

Advertisement:

Re: Yamaha CS01 vs Novation BassStation

Postby Phenom » Sat May 22, 2010 6:08 pm

Had them both, I way prefer the CS01 (even tho I had the Mk1 with the 2-pole filter). The bassstation is more flexible with switchable filter slopes, dual oscs and dual envelopes, and the filter has a nice screamy resonance, and can produce good sub-basses, but I would still say the sound isn't there compared to the CS01. It's sound (especially as a lead synth) is just so strident and fun. A great PWM sound too. I would also argue that the CS01 has the better build quality too, with the bassstation keyboard feeling quite cheap.

Strangely even tho the CS01 doesn't have the fastest envelopes, its gliss setting helps out by adding a bit of front-end interest to the sound, it really quite nice.

Not sure what else to tell you except that I found the CS01 to have bags of character, and found the bassstation capable but bland (high resonance setting excepted).
Phenom

Postby Phenom » Sat May 22, 2010 6:14 pm

plexicube wrote: and both use DCOs

Actually, I'm fairly convinced the CS01 has a digital osc as opposed to a DCO. The guy on the SynJack project said this was the reason he couldn't finish his project for the CS01, and Peter Forrest speculated that the osc might be digital in his A-Z of Analogue Synthesizers.

I've mentioned this before on this forum and some people said I was wrong, but didn't really offer any evidence for this. Either way, it's a killer sounding oscillator.
Phenom

Postby Electroluver » Sat May 22, 2010 6:25 pm

The BassStation is much better than the CS-01. The BassStation has MIDI, more controls, a faster envelope, a proper ADSR, better keys, etc. Both are fun to play.
Electroluver
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: MS-20, M-500, Polysix, PAiA 4700, ROL309, C64 MSSIAH, JX8P, K2000J, SY-1010.
Band: DJ NAMELESS

Postby space6oy » Sat May 22, 2010 9:04 pm

agree that both are fun to play. my CS-01 is a mess-around staple, have it on my coffee table for anytime i get some riff in my head. bass station is capable of FAR more though. CS-01 is about as minimal as they get.
space6oy

Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Postby redchapterjubilee » Mon May 24, 2010 3:52 pm

Had them both, though not at the same time. CS01 has triangle and noise, that's the main difference to me. CS01 is really portable and yeah, it feels a little more stable than the BSK. That said, I'd probably prefer the Bass Station. The 12dB slope with high resonance is a really pleasant and smooth tone. Two oscillators instead of one. Separate envelopes, MIDI, and with just about the same footprint.
http://www.soundcloud.com/kellyminnis
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS
redchapterjubilee

Postby krzeppa » Mon May 24, 2010 7:38 pm

I would have to say in my personal opinion that the BassStation would win this battle. It just seems more versatile over the CS01. I like the two oscillators over only one. It has more controls, and to me it just "feels" better.
Although it is extremely basic, the CSO1 is still alright too. I just like the BassStation better.

Phenom wrote:
plexicube wrote: and both use DCOs

Actually, I'm fairly convinced the CS01 has a digital osc as opposed to a DCO. The guy on the SynJack project said this was the reason he couldn't finish his project for the CS01, and Peter Forrest speculated that the osc might be digital in his A-Z of Analogue Synthesizers.

I've mentioned this before on this forum and some people said I was wrong, but didn't really offer any evidence for this. Either way, it's a killer sounding oscillator.

This is quite interesting....it would be nice to get a definitive answer to find out which is true. I've never seen hard evidence to say it has a digital osc or DCO. We should all look into it. :)
krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Accordion, Bag Pipes, Concertina, Banjo, and Wash Board
Band: Where the Embers Fall

Postby analoglsd » Wed May 26, 2010 7:31 am

I agree that the BassStation keyboard takes this hands down as far as sound, performance, and options.
The only aspect where the CS01 comes in ahead is build quality and size.
My BassStation's chassis is currently being partially held together with some black electrical tape right now.
analoglsd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Eurorack vs. MPC1000
Band: USAforLSD

Return to Synth Shootouts