Korg Trident versus Korg Delta

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Korg Trident versus Korg Delta

Postby memory cords » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:25 pm

I played a Korg Trident today in a store for a couple of hours and really loved the sound. Unfortunately I wasn't able to buy it as it was on hold for another customer. It really reminded me of the late 70's/early 80's Tangerine Dream and Michael Hoenig sound.

I've read that the Korg Delta is supposedly "a slimmed down Trident". So what I'd like to know is what the differences are in sound and functionality. How close can the Delta get to the sound of the Trident?

No offense but I would prefer only answers from people who have actually had hands-on experience with one or both machines.

Thanks.
memory cords

Advertisement:

Re: Korg Trident versus Korg Delta

Postby philip » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:33 pm

well ,I think the Trident has the same string section thad Delta does, and for sure triden can be the main poly of your studio, and the Delta is a stringsmachine as far as I know.
philip

Postby nvbrkr » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:56 pm

memory cords wrote:No offense but I would prefer only answers from people who have actually had hands-on experience with one or both machines.

Well, despite this disclaimer it's probably best stated that the "slimmed down Trident" comment from the age-old VSE profile page for the Delta has been refuted several times on this forum.

Here are also some decent samples of the Trident if you haven't listened to them:
http://www.babic.com/SYN/trident-mk1.htm

I'm looking for one as well.
nvbrkr

Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Postby OntarioHydro » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:54 pm

I picked up a Korg Delta recently for $500 and have been quite happy with it.

Not gonna lie I bought it mostly because it was used in the Human League's "Seconds" which to me is the deffinitive 80's song, therefore the Delta is the deffinitive 80's synth.

It has a String sections and a Synth section, a powerful sounding 24db/oct filter, trigger in/out, and a funky joystick.

One important difference (that I'm not 100% sure on) is that the Trident is polyphonic and the Delta is paraphonic. Can anyone verify this?

Overall I would say go for the Trident MK2, but if you find a Delta at a reasonable price buy it.
OntarioHydro

Gear: Oberheim matrix, Pro-one, Nordwave, TX-802. MS-20
Band: {}[]<>[]{}

Postby paugui » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:47 am

The Trident is 8 voices polyphonic and it has 3 sections.
However, if you split two sections, you will still only be able to play 8 notes at a time.

From the schematics in the Technical Manual, I would say the synth and string section are polyphonic, but unfortunately the Brass one is paraphonic...
If that one wasn't paraphonic, the Trident would have been even better.
The overall sound is really nice, it's just a shame it doesn't have all those mood routings (in fact, it only has envelopes and PWM... nothing more...).

The MkII is definitely the one to get, due to real memories and extra envelope, but if you have the chance of getting an MkI, I would say go for it, as it is still an amazing machine.

By the way, the keyboard is way better than the one in the Polysix, and I think the overall sound is better too (I only got around 48 hours before the manual mode of synth section started to freak out... but I think it just needs a cleaning inside...), but unfortunately it doesn't have the wonderful unison mode you get on the Polysix, which is the reason why I am keeping that one.
paugui

Postby analoglsd » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:41 am

I've owned them both, but have way more experience with the Delta, as I used it as a gigging synth in 2 different bands.
The Delta is definitely not a slimmed down Trident.
Two totally different sounds.
In that time period there's the divide-down Korgs (Delta, Lambda,Sigma, ect..) and the true polys(Polysix, MonoPoly, Trident) and within the groups there is alot of cross-over in sound but comparing the two to each other they're radically different.
The Trident does sound better and bigger, but the Delta is way more bang for yer buck.
I couldn't imagine spending close to $2K on a Trident and not being really underwhelmed(oh wow, it's got a flanger).
The synth and string sections on the Delta are capable of great sounds, and there are fun modulation possibilities with the joystick, all at a third of the price of the Trident.
analoglsd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Eurorack vs. MPC1000
Band: USAforLSD

Return to Synth Shootouts