Moog Source vs Yamaha CS15

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Moog Source vs Yamaha CS15

Postby SWAN » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:13 am

I currently have a Moog Source. I kind of love it but it is quite limited - and Ive now been tempted by the idea of a CS15 and swapping it. Why? The extra knobs, the multimode filters, fast LFO, Non-obvious Moog sound...
However my concern is that the CS15 doesnt have so much bass as the Source...
Anybody got opinions on this?
SWAN

Advertisement:

Re: Moog Source vs Yamaha CS15

Postby Scories » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:25 am

On detail; I heard that you need 2 cv/gate to midi convertors to control both oscillators. But maybe there's a trick to avoid this...
Scories

Gear: Micromoog, JX-3P, Minikorg 700, Z1

Postby Automatic Gainsay » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:40 am

From Moog to CS-15 is a jarring contrast. I hope you mean to say you want something which sounds wholly and completely different than the Source!
That being said, the CS-15 is the most underrated synth in the world, and it's capable of an incredible variety of sounds. Variety-wise, it blows away so many synthesizers, I can't even fathom why it isn't a staple.
As for bass... any synth which has a resonant high-pass filter (even if it is 12dB per oct), is capable of some pretty serious bass. Not the Moog-sounding bass, which is not only deep but thick, but certainly a big and deep bass that should satisfy you if you're looking for anything BUT a Moog bass (or filter work which requires a 24dB per oct sound). Set one oscillator on Triangle, set the filter to High Pass, turn the resonance all the way up, and set the filter cutoff somewhere low, and you're going to get big bass.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Minimoog, ARP 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, Dubreq S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Hohner Pianet T, Wurlitzer 7300, Wurlitzer 145-A.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Postby Sir Ruff » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:43 am

Scories wrote:On detail; I heard that you need 2 cv/gate to midi convertors to control both oscillators. But maybe there's a trick to avoid this...

You can just use a 1>2 (split) 1/4" cable, coming from one converter.
Do you even post on vse bro?
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Postby Stab Frenzy » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:53 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:As for bass... any synth which has a resonant high-pass filter (even if it is 12dB per oct), is capable of some pretty serious bass. Not the Moog-sounding bass, which is not only deep but thick, but certainly a big and deep bass that should satisfy you if you're looking for anything BUT a Moog bass (or filter work which requires a 24dB per oct sound). Set one oscillator on Triangle, set the filter to High Pass, turn the resonance all the way up, and set the filter cutoff somewhere low, and you're going to get big bass.

Totally back this up. I've got a couple of tracks using this technique on one of my myspaces:

http://www.myspace.com/worng

Tracks Oriental Table and Blorn Again feature CS-15 bass. And lead too actually. Personally I think the CS-15 is amazing and really should be as popular as the MS20 or any Moog.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby SWAN » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:06 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:
Scories wrote:On detail; I heard that you need 2 cv/gate to midi convertors to control both oscillators. But maybe there's a trick to avoid this...

Thats awesome I had wondered if this would work or whether if it would cause some sort of problem...like half the values or something...

Yeah I guess the CS is not at all Moog like...thats gonna be tough...However I do have a Kraftzwerg which sounds quite Moog like although the tone is not as good...

Tough decision...
SWAN

Postby Sir Ruff » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:37 pm

SWAN wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:

Thats awesome I had wondered if this would work or whether if it would cause some sort of problem...like half the values or something...

No issue there-you would have to split it multiple times to denigrate the signal
Yeah I guess the CS is not at all Moog like...thats gonna be tough...However I do have a Kraftzwerg which sounds quite Moog like although the tone is not as good...

Tough decision...

If you simply want more tonal possibilities, the CS is where it's at. If you're a slave to a solid moog tone, then you might have a harder decision, but it's not like the CS can't do standard low-pass filtered bass sounds. It's just that the oscs are fairly stable and probably not as "big" sounding as the moog. But really, for straight squelchy funk, I think the CS wins.
Do you even post on vse bro?
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Return to Synth Shootouts