Korg Polyphonic Ensemble P

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Korg Polyphonic Ensemble P

Postby bhrama » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:34 am

I found one of these earlier this year, and after playing for a few minutes I made a compulsive purchase. I really love the raw sounds, and it has just enough modification to keep things interesting.

However, I've had no luck finding anything out about this semi-rare string-like synth. Does it compare to the Solina String Ensemble? How rare is this thing? My searches always come up with other Korgs that are close, but not the actual model I have. :roll:
bhrama

Gear: Prophet 12, Juno 60, Tempest, coming soon : Sub 37
Band: Grit Lapse, Mang

Advertisement:

Re: Korg Polyphonic Ensemble P

Postby wiss » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:50 am

Most stringers have a similar sound, some are more distinct than others. They do not come with a lot of options for modulation, some have none. (chorus/ensemble on/off rate/depth). The small stone or phase 90 are really great for stringers or the boss ce-1. I had Korg PE-2000 and I was very happy with the sounds it made, one of the better string synths made.

String synths can get boring if your looking just to make odd modulated bleeps and bubbles...
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."
wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Postby Sir Ruff » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:00 am

bhrama wrote:However, I've had no luck finding anything out about this semi-rare string-like synth.

The PE-1000 is a little rarer than the PE-2000 but there's still info out there:
http://www.till-kopper.de/korg-pe1000.html
Do you even post on vse bro?
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Postby Automatic Gainsay » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:36 am

It's among the coolest stringers as it has interesting filters. A Solina is boring as HELL.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Minimoog, ARP 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, Dubreq S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Hohner Pianet T, Wurlitzer 7300, Wurlitzer 145-A.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Postby bhrama » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:49 pm

Thanks fellas, I basically have been running some phaser/reverb with it and I'm quite happy with the sounds. Glad to hear the Solina is not the "end-all" string synth it's hyped up to be.

Sir Ruff: thanks for the link, perhaps I was having difficulty due to the fact my search didnt have PE-1000/2000 in it...I didnt realize it had a shortened name (guess I change my profile instrument list to reflect :) )

Wiss: you play out much in Chicago? I used to do some gigs @ Sub-T, Double Door and Empty Bottle. I have little ones now, so the shows are fewer and farther between. If you ever play let me know I'll come through.

**just did a quick listen to the two different versions PE-1000 (mine) & PE-2000. It seems the 1000 is a littler harsher/edgy compared to the 2000, which sounds smoother. It could be the samples he played were not representative, but that was my observation. I like the fact the 1000 is more rudimentary and has the "traveler" filter mods...not bad for an impulse buy.
bhrama

Postby spookyman » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:15 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:A Solina is boring as HELL.

Indeed, the possibilities are quite limited...that's correct. But the sound is still heavenly good. For strings like in "Man Child / Thrust" from Herbie Hancock, or in almost every AIR albums, you really need a Solina.

I also have two other stringers (RS-505 Paraphonic from Roland and ARP Omni) that sound totally different than the Solina. And all are good for other music styles. But i give you right, a Solina is a real one trick poney.
It is much easier to be a good equipment purchaser than to be a great musician.
spookyman

Gear: cheezy machines and some cheap analog stuff

Postby Automatic Gainsay » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:43 pm

spookyman wrote:

Indeed, the possibilities are quite limited...that's correct. But the sound is still heavenly good. For strings like in "Man Child / Thrust" from Herbie Hancock, or in almost every AIR albums, you really need a Solina.

I also have two other stringers (RS-505 Paraphonic from Roland and ARP Omni) that sound totally different than the Solina. And all are good for other music styles. But i give you right, a Solina is a real one trick poney.

I'll admit it has a nice sound while the effect is engaged, but it just has such limited application in regard to anything other than that. If people heard more of the Solina without the effect, I think their attitude towards it might not be so reverent. :wink:
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Minimoog, ARP 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, Dubreq S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Hohner Pianet T, Wurlitzer 7300, Wurlitzer 145-A.

Postby Syn303 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:47 pm

Most stringers with the ensemble or chorus effect switched off, just sound like bees in a jar. Although the Elka Rhapsody 610 sounded quite nice having owned one in the past.
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |
Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member

Band: Syn303

Postby aeon » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:11 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
spookyman wrote:

I'll admit it has a nice sound while the effect is engaged, but it just has such limited application in regard to anything other than that. If people heard more of the Solina without the effect, I think their attitude towards it might not be so reverent. :wink:

Well sure - no stringer is worth it without the ensemble effect. Then again, they aren't used that way, so I don't judge them that way.

Indeed, there is a reason why there is no Solina clone - but there is a clone of its ensemble effect. ;)

I also very much appreciate the external input on my Roland RS-505 Paraphonic - quadruple Reticon BBDs sound good to my ear!

Boring? That's up to the individual, not the stringer itself. I happen to find analog stringers magical as it concerns timbre. In terms of synthesis, they are quite simple indeed.

cheers,
Ian
aeon

Postby aeon » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:40 pm

bhrama wrote:I found one of these earlier this year, and after playing for a few minutes I made a compulsive purchase. I really love the raw sounds, and it has just enough modification to keep things interesting.

Congrats on your acquisition - it really is raw and loaded with character.

It seems like the kind of analog stringer tone that would benefit greatly from some quality analog post-processing - the usual phaser stuff of course, but in particular, the right chorus or ensemble effect. The ensemble effect might be too much given the already-present modulation, but a good analog chorus would be splendid (in my book).

cheers,
Ian
aeon

Postby Automatic Gainsay » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:10 pm

A stringer SHOULD be able to be used without the chorus effect, which is why it can be switched off. There are a number of stringers which have interesting and useful sounds without chorus.

This is why I am such a fan of the Korg Poly Ensemble, as it gives you the ability to shape the sound without depending on a chorus.
In addition to it, the Korg Lambda is the stringer that will NEVER sound boring or grating due to the layering of three sets of oscillators.
A stringer without filters or multiple oscs just can't measure up. ::::coughSolinacough:::: :wink:
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby druzz » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:12 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:A stringer SHOULD be able to be used without the chorus effect, which is why it can be switched off. There are a number of stringers which have interesting and useful sounds without chorus.

This is why I am such a fan of the Korg Poly Ensemble, as it gives you the ability to shape the sound without depending on a chorus.
In addition to it, the Korg Lambda is the stringer that will NEVER sound boring or grating due to the layering of three sets of oscillators.
A stringer without filters or multiple oscs just can't measure up. ::::coughSolinacough::::

i use my lambda without the chorus most of the time . the detunable oscillators gives some phase/ chorus like sounds or total wackness if desired. i drive it in the moogerfooger lowpass and the automatic enveloppe goes blissfully crazy. nice overdrive in the fooger too.

the polyphonic ensemble P seems very nice . i never noticed it before. look a bit minikorg700ish wich is promising
druzz

Band: November's Ego

Postby Automatic Gainsay » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:19 am

druzz wrote:i use my lambda without the chorus most of the time . the detunable oscillators gives some phase/ chorus like sounds or total wackness if desired. i drive it in the moogerfooger lowpass and the automatic enveloppe goes blissfully crazy. nice overdrive in the fooger too.

I used to do this, too! Everyone should try it... it's absolutely heavenly.
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby bhrama » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:31 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
druzz wrote:i use my lambda without the chorus most of the time . the detunable oscillators gives some phase/ chorus like sounds or total wackness if desired. i drive it in the moogerfooger lowpass and the automatic enveloppe goes blissfully crazy. nice overdrive in the fooger too.

I used to do this, too! Everyone should try it... it's absolutely heavenly.

Nice idea! Perhaps the PE-1000/2000 should be added to the Korg synth list. It is quite obviously worth a picture & page discription, no?
bhrama

Postby bhrama » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:39 pm

aeon wrote:
bhrama wrote:I found one of these earlier this year, and after playing for a few minutes I made a compulsive purchase. I really love the raw sounds, and it has just enough modification to keep things interesting.

Congrats on your acquisition - it really is raw and loaded with character.

To be honest what first pulled me over to it sitting there was all the knobs...."Hello, my name is Matt, and I'm a knob tweaker" :twisted: ... and I assumed all stringers were ethereal, smooth and pad-ish. I was looking for that "sound", which is what the Solina prescribes to be (or so I thought). But, after tinkering for about 30 mins, I was hooked and had to get it. Not sure what Solinas go for price wise, but I got the PE-1000 P for $450, and I think it's money well spent.
bhrama

Next

Return to General Synthesizers