Good Command Station ROM's for more drum sounds?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Good Command Station ROM's for more drum sounds?

Postby pricklyrobot » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:19 pm

I have an MP-7 which I'd mainly been using as a sequencer, but lately I'm starting also to like it as a drum machine.

I have the stock ROM that it came with, which does have some decent percussion sounds, but I'm thinking I might as well put something in one of the empty slots. Protean Drums seems like the obvious choice, but that also seems to be one of the most rare/expensive of all the ROM's. So what are some others that have good drum/percussion sounds, that aren't redundant with what I already have? How is the Beat Garden ROM?

Also are there any Command Station ROM's that have decent choir sounds? The MP-7's vox sounds are all super-cheesy, hip-hop/R&B cliche sounds. I looked at the patch/waveform lists for the Orchestral ROM's, but didn't see anything there (guess I'll have to hang on to my JV-1080 a while longer).
Nord Mod G1 -- Arturia MiniBrute -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Roland V-Synth, JV-1080 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop -- 8 modules (and counting) o' Eurocrack
pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Advertisement:

Re: Good Command Station ROM's for more drum sounds?

Postby cartesia » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:35 pm

The Protean Drums ROM of course! It's one of the most expensive ROMs though..

You should be able to make better choir sounds using the builtin waveforms, just scrap their patches because most are a pretty terrible representation of what can be done.
cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Postby aeon » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:27 pm

XL-ROM would be 1/2 redundant, but offer some new stuff - poorly organized though.
ProteanDrums ROM - yeah, sweetness.
TSCY ROM - good if you want a slew of analogesque X0X stuff.
Vintage ROM - might be a good choice if a bit limited on the drum stuff (what it has is good), but you'd also get some excellent synth waves.

cheers,
Ian
aeon

Postby Angstwulf » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:06 pm

A few other possibilities.

World ROM:

As pricey if not more so than the Protean Drums ROM ($250 to $300 on Ebay). Excellent and, IMO, still relevant for hand percussion and tuned percussion instruments. Programming the raw waves can yield some otherworldly percussion instruments.

Limited standard layout drum kits (IIRC maybe 10 or so presets) but all are pretty good and definitely fill in gaps in the MP-7 preset list.

The other instrument presets varied wildly in my eyes from lovely to crap but programming the raw waves can...blah, blah, blah... :)

For me, the ideal Command Station would start with the World and the Protean Drums

A couple other budget contenders:

Composer/Pop ROM:

A good one to have if you want a wide variety of acoustic drum kits for cheap. All useable stuff. I've never heard a PX-7 (and I'm dying to do so) so I can't say if it's a good substitute for one (probably not, I tend to trust Aeon's opinions) but for the current prices it's worth looking into ($150-is down to $100 and a bag of peanuts on Ebay). Not a bad jack of all trades ROM, either, and you may find a useable choir.

Sounds of the ZR-76:

I bought this for the Perfect Piano. I don't like the Perfect Piano (mind you, it's far more useable than any other acoustic piano that E-MU has on offer) but I like the drums. Some are better and some are worse than the Composer but none are bad. It too may serve as a good bread and butter soundsource. It probably has some choirs in it. I really like the bass guitars, synth basses and the organs. IIRC there are a few nice ensemble and solo strings (nice for a 10 year old ROM). These seem to go for about $150 US give or take. If I ever get my Command Station back (it's on loan to a friend) I may choose that over the Composer as the "all around" ROM.
Angstwulf

Postby pricklyrobot » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:14 am

Thanks all, for the replies. I found the Orbit 3 manual online; oddly the TSCY ROM seems to have more percussion sounds than the Beat Garden one (seems backward to me). I'm thinking of picking up an Airbase at some point in the future, so I probably don't need a ton of TR-type sounds.

Seems like maybe I should just save up/sell something and go for the Protean Drums. This site has the Composer ROM listed for sale at $50: http://www.eprelectronics.com/store/htm ... index.html , though I haven't contacted them to verify that they actually have any still in stock. Anyone else think the Composer ROM would be a worthwhile addition though, if I can get it for that price?

The choir thing was a bit of an afterthought. I have the Vocal card in my JV-1080 (along with the World, Orchestral II, and Keyboards of the 60s & 70s [some good mellotron choirs on that one] cards), and I'm quite happy with that. I just occasionally dream of consolidating all the ROMpling into one box. ;)
Nord Mod G1 -- Arturia MiniBrute -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Roland V-Synth, JV-1080 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop -- 8 modules (and counting) o' Eurocrack
pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby gordwiebe » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:26 am

I'm a reformed e-mu user myself (mp7,2500,x-lead,beat garden + TSCY) and I don't think you would be happy with any of the composer ROM sounds. I found them just slightly less dead and lifeless as the Mo'phatt sounds.
I was a big fan of the UI, programming possibilities and sequencing on the command stations but was never happy with the raw sounds (forget about the effects) - I was, like you, really hoping to have an all-in-a-box ready to go music machine... but at the ridiculous prices any of the good ROMS go for you could really get something newer and better from another company. The prices of the protean, world and vintage ROMs are crazily over-inflated. If you check out the closed ebay auctions you'll see that maybe 1 out of every 5 that goes up sells at the insane $200-$300 the sellers are looking for - the rest just get relisted, and relisted....
If I was looking for a drum machine I'd get a new akai xr20 or alesis sr18 (depending on need) for less than the price of a 10 year old e-mu ROM and sequence it from the mp7.
gordwiebe

Gear: motif ES rack +cards, alesis fusion, E-MU PX7 + cards, siel MONO

Postby gordwiebe » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:01 am

Actually, I just checked the epr site... $50 for the composer or x rom wouldn't be a bad idea.
The Q, beat and zr76 may be worth your $100 as well. These are definitely all a step up from the mo'phatt sounds (the weakest of all the roms I think).
gordwiebe

Gear: motif ES rack +cards, alesis fusion, E-MU PX7 + cards, siel MONO

Postby pricklyrobot » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:35 pm

Had a look through the Proteus 2000 manual, and it seemed like there were some useful sounds in there, so I decided to grab that $50 Composer ROM.

I'll just add the Protean Drums to my ever-growing list of things to pick up once I score a better-paying job. ;)
pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby Sir Nose » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:01 pm

I have an XL-7 with world, TSCY, and Beat Garden ROMs. The World definately adds great orgo sounding percussion. The World can be found cheap on Craigslist (usually in the box, not just the ROM).
Funkadelic wrote:nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty
Sir Nose

Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Postby balma » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:27 pm

Strongly recommends:

BEAT GARDEN by Rob PAPEN.

I recently watched it at Ebat on $149, that's the standard price when released.

Huge collection of tambourinnes, shakers and short noise effects, some hit drones, several exclusive drum kits of just claps, just snares, and BD with no hat, with hat, and several kits of crash cymbals and reverse cymbals.

WORLD EXPEDITION.

Greatest ROM ever, in my opinion. It has a very good selection of weird afropercusions, very ethnic oriented, with some oriental sounds, distant drums from Africa, some other percussion sounds from weird instruments sampled on studio, that are very hard to find on any sample collection.
"If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies you won´t find another"
Carl Sagan

https://soundcloud.com/balma
balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Postby Angstwulf » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:14 am

pricklyrobot wrote:Seems like maybe I should just save up/sell something and go for the Protean Drums. This site has the Composer ROM listed for sale at $50: http://www.eprelectronics.com/store/htm ... index.html , though I haven't contacted them to verify that they actually have any still in stock. Anyone else think the Composer ROM would be a worthwhile addition though, if I can get it for that price?

Wow. I'm surprised about the B3 and Beat Gardens still being in stock, less so about the Composer/XL/MoPho ROMS since E-Mu manufactured about a gazillion of those. Nice prices, too. I remember going to EPR to price some replacement parts for a Command Station. A handful of LED pipes and a rubber pad cost far more than any of those ROMs. :D

@Aeon: Regarding your earlier comment about the XL ROM being about 50% redundant. Are you saying that it shares about half of its waveforms with the MP-7 ROM?
Angstwulf

Postby aeon » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:00 am

Angstwulf wrote:@Aeon: Regarding your earlier comment about the XL ROM being about 50% redundant. Are you saying that it shares about half of its waveforms with the MP-7 ROM?

Sorry if my statement has led to confusion.

The XL-ROM is comprised of the waveforms for the Audity2K Extreme (16MB), Orbit (8MB), and Planet Phatt (8MB).

My sense is that the Phatt portion would be redundant in tone as used with the MP-7 ROM.

The Audity2K Extreme (16MB) portion is quite well-done IMHO - the Orbit less so - and the Phatt is bleargh to me. Then again, my interest was and is in the synthy samples - hence my choices of XL, TSCY, VintagePro, and ProteanDrums for my XL-7.

cheers,
Ian
aeon

Postby balma » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:58 pm

Well, the arppegios on the MP7 and the XL7 ROMS are exactly the same.

however, I do not consider the MP7 as the weakest ROM as somebody mentioned. It has great basses, some weird pads, nice guitars, great snares....

The worst I ever heard was the ROM contained on the Halo keyboard. Sounds like fucking General Midi.... the "perfect" piano was decent, the rest, crap standard congabongoe.
"If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies you won´t find another"
Carl Sagan

https://soundcloud.com/balma
balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Return to Buyer's Guide