Connect Roland System 100 model 101 to ARP Little Brother?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Connect Roland System 100 model 101 to ARP Little Brother?

Postby memory cords » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:32 pm

The Roland System 100 model 101 synthesizer has only one oscillator and no sub oscillator. It is usually paired with the Roland model 102 expander to create a 2 oscillator monosynth.

It is possible to connect other analog expander modules such as the ARP little brother (or Doepfer Dark Energy, Oberheim SEM, Roland 100M etc) to the System 100 model 101 and use all the functions such as Osc Sync, Detuning etc?

Are the voltages on the ARP and the Roland compatible?

Basically I want to be able to play the model 101 as a 2 osc monosynth with two different VCOs but going through the same filter, the same ADSR, both VCO's being modulated by the same LFO etc.

Thanks.
memory cords

Advertisement:

Re: Connect Roland System 100 model 101 to ARP Little Brothe

Postby nadafarms » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:18 pm

it should work, I'm not positive if the lfo modulation will work though it's been awhile maybe you would need to patch the lfo out to the arp? I used to use a roland system 101 with the moogerfooger ring mod and it was awesome!!!!

I love the system 101 man if you can get one you're stoked, and i do have a little brother for sale if you're in the market ;)
for sale/trade: EML-101
nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby nadafarms » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:18 pm

the voltages should definitely be compatible btw
nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby memory cords » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:06 am

Thanks for the info Nadafarms!

Sounds like I will have to get the System 100 Model 101. I've heard nothing but good things about it. Only weakpoint seems to be that there is only one envelope. And there doesn't seem to be a way to patch in an extra external envelope due to the way the signal flow is laid out (you can patch in an external envelope but then it will bypass the internal envelope generator I think).

I'm planning to use the model 101 with the ARP Little Brother and the Kenton Pro Solo, so that will give me independent three LFO's (I love lots of subtle modulations that are happening at different speeds)!

If I lived in the States I would buy your ARP Little Brother but I'm overseas so the shipping etc is a hassle. There's one in a local shop that I'll pick up. But thank you for your offer.
memory cords

Postby nadafarms » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:23 pm

the oscillator is really really raw and fat on the 101, for me the biggest downside is that the env is slow and can't really do punchy percussion stuff like other synths. Honestly you might consider picking up a cheaper pro one, I remember when I sold my 101 and got a pro one and felt it was a better bargain for the price.

But... you gotta factor in that the 101 is possibly the sexiest space age design of any synth ever made EVER!!!!! best slider caps on the sliders too, I've been thinking about buying a set to replace the sliders on my sh7 which aren't as nice.

you really can't go wrong but people are really trying to jack up the price of the 101 and to no success, they really shouldn't sell for more than $1000 US
nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby memory cords » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:20 pm

nadafarms wrote:the oscillator is really really raw and fat on the 101, for me the biggest downside is that the env is slow and can't really do punchy percussion stuff like other synths. Honestly you might consider picking up a cheaper pro one, I remember when I sold my 101 and got a pro one and felt it was a better bargain for the price.

But... you gotta factor in that the 101 is possibly the sexiest space age design of any synth ever made EVER!!!!! best slider caps on the sliders too, I've been thinking about buying a set to replace the sliders on my sh7 which aren't as nice.

you really can't go wrong but people are really trying to jack up the price of the 101 and to no success, they really shouldn't sell for more than $1000 US

Basically I am looking for an analog synth that can create a variety of very sharp, raw, deep and textured bass notes. I need something powerful and rough yet somehow 'defined' at the same time. I've tried using EQ and outboard effects with my current synths and it sounds 75% of the way to what I want but the sound always seems slightly smeared/unclear when I use too much outboard.

I've never heard that the System 100 had a slow envelope before. I'll have to look into that more and test it out before I buy. The main reason I was going to get it was for basslines so if the envelope is slow that's a big drawback (although I'm sure I'll still be able to use it for other kinds of sounds). And yeah I really love that old Roland "Compuphonic" style! I missed a chance to buy an old Promars MRS-2 and Jupiter 4 recently and I'm still kicking myself about that!

I have considered getting the Pro One (and I'm still considering it). It seems to be an amazing synth but for some reason I am attracted to the System 100 more.

Another candidate is the Roland SH2 which sounds great for bass. It's also much cheaper than all the other options. Unfortunately it's modulation seems REALLY limited compared to the Pro One and System 100.

Other options are the Moog Voyager RME (has a beautiful smooth sound but maybe 'too perfect' sonically?) and the Studio Electronics ATC-X (supposedly great according to numerous online reviews but maybe too clean/stable and I've heard that the parameters step?).

Actually maybe the ARP Odyssey would be the perfect synth for the sound I want but it is very expensive (about US$1000 more than the other options) and I'm worried about it's reliabilty... but maybe I'll have to get it if the System 100 doesn't have the perfect envelopes for what I want.

As you can see I'm really fussy about things but unless it sounds 100% percent like what's in my head then I'm never satisfied.

If I had enough money I'd buy all of them but my budget is limited unfortunately.
memory cords

Return to Buyer's Guide