LoFi Akai S612 demo - 2 tracks

Come here for topics reviewing and sharing songs, tracks, music, synth demos, etc.

LoFi Akai S612 demo - 2 tracks

Postby monolith » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:36 am

Hey I'd love for some of you guys to have a listen to this.

http://soundcloud.com/kong-selecta/harmonic

It's a very noisy demo but my attempts to redo it have never captured the vibe properly.
Akai S612 + Synth
I know it sounds like crap, but something about it works. sounds like a scary dream i used to have

EDIT: Here is another, better sound quality track, entirely S-612. I did this in Garageband instead of a 4 Track.There is some reverb and delay, as well as compression on the drum break.

http://soundcloud.com/kong-selecta/six-twelve

Enjoy
Last edited by monolith on Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.
monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Advertisement:

Re: LoFi Dreaminess w/ Akai S612 - 4 track

Postby solaristica » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:35 am

Eerie shit man! I hope you don't have those dreams anymore... Good job recreating the vibe though!
solaristica

Postby Stab Frenzy » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:23 am

Cool, I really like the sound of that. IMO it was only too noisy at the start when all you could hear was the noise. The rest was fine, just kind of lofi. I added you on soundcloud btw. Or whatever the correct verb is for soundcloud, following, whatever.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby monolith » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:12 am

Thanks for checking it out guys.

Stab Frenzy wrote:Cool, I really like the sound of that. IMO it was only too noisy at the start when all you could hear was the noise. The rest was fine, just kind of lofi. I added you on soundcloud btw. Or whatever the correct verb is for soundcloud, following, whatever.

Yeah I meant to crop the beginning off, it's just tape hiss, not part of the track. I did this on my most beaten up 4 track (fostex x-12) as my 'good' ones were still packed away at the time. Glad you dug it though.
As for the soundcloud verb, lets call it stalking. Thanks for stalking me on soundcloud, i'll stalk you back. :lol:
monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby Stab Frenzy » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:22 am

Stalking and following are pretty similar I suppose, I'm not allowed to do either any more according to that damn judge.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby Hybrid88 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:15 pm

Hey, very nice track you have there monolith. Sounds very much film score-ish sort of in the style of Harry Gregson Williams (who writes amazing scores BTW). Very impressed.

...and I see you've recently got a Model D, what do you think of it?

Actually been on the look out for an S-612 lately myself, quite hard to get - could you describe more how you used the gear in this track, I'm quite interested in the details on how the S-612 was used and what sample it was playing.

Anyway, that hum is the only thing I would try to fix, sounds like a power problem or earth loop, I know I get a similar affect when I use a certain cheap cables sometimes.
Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff.

Postby monolith » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:53 am

Hey,
I'm glad you enjoyed it. I've not heard of Harry Gregson Williams, I'll have to check out his music.

Hybrid88 wrote:
...and I see you've recently got a Model D, what do you think of it?

I really like it, it really does have it's own sound. It sounds old and very much alive. The oscillators are always drifting but never so much that its out of tune, it just gives every sound a beautiful movement. I'm also blown away by how harmonically rich the filter is with resonance, it is heavenly. I also find the Model D to have the best Portamento I've heard on a synth - It's hard to describe but it just sounds really natural.

Hybrid88 wrote:

Actually been on the look out for an S-612 lately myself, quite hard to get - could you describe more how you used the gear in this track, I'm quite interested in the details on how the S-612 was used and what sample it was playing.

I know you've been after an s612, (i post on TR forum as Cymatics) I recently got a second one but it arrived DOA, so It's getting fixed.
On this track there are 2 drones (Moog) and the rest is the S612. I'm pretty sure there is 2 samples both of me singing a melody in key with the Drone.
The first sample you hear is on the alternating loop,so you here it forwards the backwards then forwards etc., then i play it an octave up over that. I did the same with the second one, but I slowly swept the s612's filter.
If you like I could send you just the s612's tracks, so you could here it better. If you have any other things you'd like to hear I'll happily demo it for you. PM me if interested!
monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby monolith » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:58 am

I added another track using only the S612. See the top post. ^^^^^

:hifi:
monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: LoFi Akai S612 demo - 2 tracks

Postby monolith » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:33 pm

Bump for any interested parties =)
monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: LoFi Akai S612 demo - 2 tracks

Postby crystalmsc » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:05 am

I enjoy all the noise on the six-twelve.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 9 Suite, Push, Ultranova
crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt
Kronos,MS20m,mntrb,Volcas,WD1
NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080
MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex
Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline