Moog Taurus 2 / Rogue

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Moog Taurus 2 / Rogue

Postby monolith » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:52 pm

I may have a chance to swap some pedals for a working Taurus II without the pedals. I was thinking it would be cool to control with the SH-2 or Mono/Poly and make a 4/6 oscillator beast. There's no reason this wouldn't work right?
I could even sequence it from my SH-101 or CSQ-600 correct?
Is there anything I should look out for when checking it out?
monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Advertisement:

Re: Moog Taurus 2 / Rogue

Postby Hybrid88 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:59 am

Depends on if you can get a good deal or not. If you can then could go for it, but I reckon it would be slightly redundant with a mini around - ie doubt there'd be anything the Taurus II could do that the mini couldn't.

And the big deal breaker for me is that the Osc's are not independently scaleable, a big reduction in flexibility there.

monolith wrote:Is there anything I should look out for when checking it out?

Yes. The infamous moog foam that gums up the insides and turns acidic over time, if it has not been removed, could cause you troubles.

And if you do decide to get the Taurus - clean the foam out as quick as you can, don't put it off or you'll be sitting on the proverbial time bomb :!:
Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff.

Postby monolith » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:12 am

Hey thanks for the reply. The foam has already been cleaned out so that's good.
I don't need the taurus but it'll get a lot more use than what I'm trading for it so i'm cool with that. If anything i'm thinking it will be good for moog-ness so I can leave the (not-so) Mini at home.

Would you know about controlling it with another keyboard? I dont mess around with CV a lot, and wanted to know if I can just play it like a normal keyboard synth by plugging my sh-2 into the Taurus (cv/gate). Features like the Portamento knob on the Taurus will still work, right?
monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby Hybrid88 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:41 am

monolith wrote:I don't need the taurus but it'll get a lot more use than what I'm trading for...

Then I say go for it, sounds like a pretty good reason to me ;)

monolith wrote:If anything i'm thinking it will be good for moog-ness so I can leave the (not-so) Mini at home.

Tell me about it, feels like every time I have to move mine around I feel I get a little bit shorter :lol:

monolith wrote:Would you know about controlling it with another keyboard? I dont mess around with CV a lot, and wanted to know if I can just play it like a normal keyboard synth by plugging my sh-2 into the Taurus (cv/gate). Features like the Portamento knob on the Taurus will still work, right?

Sure, 1 volt per Octave is the standard common to moog and Roland so I don't see why the scaling wouldn't be fine, so yes you'd be able to use it as a standalone analog module.

I haven't done much with CV either yet but I think that the Portamento on the Taurus will work fine, depends how it's designed I suppose, can't hurt to try it though.

Portamento is just a lag processor which basically puts a lag on the voltage change when you change notes.

If it processes the incoming CV with the lag circuit then It'll be fine, I'm pretty positive that all monosynths work like this, but like I say I haven't done a lot with it myself so can't say for sure.
Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff.

Postby Phenom » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:17 pm

Hybrid88 wrote:Portamento is just a lag processor which basically puts a lag on the voltage change when you change notes.

If it processes the incoming CV with the lag circuit then It'll be fine, I'm pretty positive that all monosynths work like this, but like I say I haven't done a lot with it myself so can't say for sure.

A few monos bypass the portamento when the CV/ Gate sockets are used, the SH2 being one of them. Kind of annoying unless you're using a MIDI-CV with independent portamanto options. Best checking this out if it's really important to you. I'm sure someone here with a Rogue could tell you yay or nay.

Does the Rogue use the same interface as Roland, I thought Moog used S Trigs? Maybe they changed this on later synths like the Rogue for compatability?
Phenom

Postby Mooger5 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:30 am

monolith wrote:I could even sequence it from my SH-101 or CSQ-600 correct?

If the Taurus II brain is like a Rogue without a keyboard, that´s correct. It has connections for V-Trig and 1V/Oct CV starting at the F note.

Yes, the connections at the back use stereo jacks for CV & Trigger to save space (or money). So one jack is for CV IN & OUT and the other jack is for V or S-Trig.
For CV In and V-Trig at the Rogue´s end you´ll have to solder the live wires coming from the 101 to the ring and the ground wires to the sleeves of the stereo plugs.
The Glide function will work with the incoming CV.
Herrare umanum est.
Mooger5

Postby monolith » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:54 am

Mooger5 wrote:
monolith wrote:I could even sequence it from my SH-101 or CSQ-600 correct?

If the Taurus II brain is like a Rogue without a keyboard, that´s correct. It has connections for V-Trig and 1V/Oct CV starting at the F note.

Yes, the connections at the back use stereo jacks for CV & Trigger to save space (or money). So one jack is for CV IN & OUT and the other jack is for V or S-Trig.
For CV In and V-Trig at the Rogue´s end you´ll have to solder the live wires coming from the 101 to the ring and the ground wires to the sleeves of the stereo plugs.
The Glide function will work with the incoming CV.

Thanks a lot for the info.
The Taurus with some connector leads set up for CV control so I should just have to plug the CV and Gate outs of my controller into the jacks of the connector leads.

What exactly is S-trig and V-trig? Is it just the Moog name for Gate?
monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby Mooger5 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:58 am

monolith wrote:Thanks a lot for the info.
The Taurus with some connector leads set up for CV control so I should just have to plug the CV and Gate outs of my controller into the jacks of the connector leads.

Yes, but you´ll have to use stereo plugs for the Taurus. On the Roland SH-101 end the connections are standard, with the core wires of the leads soldered to the tips of the mini-plugs and the shields to the sleeves, right? On the Taurus end, the shields are soldered to the sleeves as well, but the core wires have to be soldered to the rings of the stereo plugs, not the tips.

What exactly is S-trig and V-trig? Is it just the Moog name for Gate?

For that there´s a good explanation on Wikipedia. Sorry, I wouldn´t explain it better. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CV/Gate
Herrare umanum est.
Mooger5

Return to Buyer's Guide