E-MU Command Station without ROMs?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

E-MU Command Station without ROMs?

Postby zackman_87 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:50 pm

Hi all,

I have access to an E-MU PX-7. However, the seller says that the previous owner removed all the sound ROMs (not surprising given the going prices for some of them). My questions for anyone that owns a Command Station:

1) Is it still usable as a sequencer? This is the main thing I'd be using it for. Does it even boot?

2) Is the Proteus synth engine still available?

I might go for a MP-7 instead...but that purple...eugh :? .

Thanks for your help!
zackman_87

Advertisement:

Re: E-MU Command Station without ROMs?

Postby gordwiebe » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:04 am

hey,

The sequencer will still work fine for sequencing external stuff (and the arps as well i think).
Without any roms you won't get any internal sounds.

If you get the shell for a good deal (I would say $200 or less) you can always find a cheap xtreme lead, or beat garden rom for some drum sounds and simple synth stuff - some of the raw waves are pretty good on those.

cheap here!: http://www.eprelectronics.com/store/htm ... index.html

Also, make sure the main data encoder knob is in good condition (doesn't skip values wildly while turning)... they are notorious for going bad.

good luck - they are fun, simple and inspiring machines to sequence with.
gordwiebe

Gear: motif ES rack +cards, alesis fusion, E-MU PX7 + cards, siel MONO

Postby pricklyrobot » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:38 am

gordwiebe wrote:Also, make sure the main data encoder knob is in good condition (doesn't skip values wildly while turning)... they are notorious for going bad.
Although, if you're handy with a soldering iron, EPR also has replacement encoders for $15.

P.S. The Composer ROM isn't half bad, and only $50 at EPR.
Nord Mod G1 -- Arturia MiniBrute -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Roland V-Synth, JV-1080 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop -- 8 modules (and counting) o' Eurocrack
pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby Angstwulf » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:19 pm

1. Yes, a Command Station w/o ROMs in good condition is excellent for sequencing outboard equipment. BUT....

2. Unless the price is right (in my opinion, waaaay under $200, even under $100) then it's not worth it. The PX-7 gets its resale value from the Protean Drums ROM. You should be able to find good condition MP-7's and XL-7's for between $200 and $300. You should not expect to lose much if anything if you sell it off in the future.

3. Given the current prices of the more common ROMS, making sure the encoders/buttons/pads work is more important than what ROM is installed. You can always find a Composer/XL-1/MoPhatt ROM somewhere. A good working set of pad sensors is much rarer.

4. Don't harsh on the purple. Put it in a dimly lit room with all the LED's and screens flashing and you'll find it kind of pretty. Even if you don't, it's not the worst feature of the MP-7. What is the worst? [Hint: how often will you want your song to say: "Oh Yeah! Boooyyyy!" :) ]
Angstwulf

Return to HELP!