Korg EX8000 vs Waldorf MicroWave 1 for vintage analog sound?

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Korg EX8000 vs Waldorf MicroWave 1 for vintage analog sound?

Postby projectwoofer » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:30 pm

I was listening to some demos of both...I'd be interested in trying one of them at some point. I know the Korg has a very simple architecture and no wavetables but I'm not really a fan of wavetables either! So I was wondering which of the two would bring the most vintage sounds? I'm talking about relatively simple, bread and butter sounds: basses, leads, pads and some effects.

One thing I find odd on the Korg are its raw oscillator sound: it can sound "plasticky" to my ears! How does it compare to a raw saw or square wave on the MW? The filters on the Korg sound damn well though! I have the impression that they are stronger than the MWs Curtis chips, or am I wrong? The MW is of course much more versatile I think...Any opinions?

Casio VZ-10M, Commodore 64 & MSSIAH, Dave Smith Tetra, Kawai K5000R, Korg X5, Roland D-550, Roland JD-990 (w/Vintage Synth card), Waldorf Miniworks 4pole, Yamaha TX7
Band: Woofer

Re: Korg EX8000 vs Waldorf MicroWave 1 for vintage analog so

Postby mao » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:45 am

They sound pretty similar. I'm asking myself why I'm keeping both. If you are not a wavetable man, well get the EX. The EX has a really huge warm dark sound while the microwave can do interesting "klangy" things using the wavetables. The Microwave can surely do "a lot more". The EX has a nice and useful delay on board. If you need some great analog pads go with the EX. The Microwave is great on doing PPG stuff. Damn... now I keep them both.
Gear: Andromeda - Voyager RME - VSynth XT - MonoEvolverKeyboard - NordRack2X - EX-8000 - Waldorf Microwave - Machinedrum - Monomachine

Postby rhodeschroma » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:10 am

I have both and Prefer the microwave. I don't use the ex-8000 so much. Little too mellow for my personal tastes. I only have it for that "once in a while" sound that I need. The microwave hits the mark with wavetable sounds, nice and ballsy, yet some dynamic fluid motion sounds, too. I wouldn't get rid of my Waldorf stuff at any point ( I have 2 microwave 1s, a MW 2, an XT, pulse plus, Rack attack, and Q). I have an equal amount of Korg stuff, but there aren't as many unique sounds from the era....(you either need to go way back or current.). Just my humble opinions.

always looking for Rhodes chromas or expanders - dead or alive... My favorite analog poly ever created...
Gear: Favs: chroma, Jupiter 8, Solaris, Memorymoog among lots of others.

Postby 0e0 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:50 pm

there is something very vintage about the the dw/ex8000. the filters are as wet as h**l.

it's got a very dark and round sound that i definitely equate with "vintage analog".
Gear: Roland MKS-50, Juno-106, JV-1080
Yamaha A4000, SU700, S80 (w/PLG150-VL), SY 77, SY 22
Oberheim Matrix-1000
Kawai K3m, K4
Zoom ST-224
Band: 0=0

Return to Synth Shootouts