Korg EX8000 vs Waldorf MicroWave 1 for vintage analog sound?

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Korg EX8000 vs Waldorf MicroWave 1 for vintage analog sound?

Postby projectwoofer » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:30 pm

I was listening to some demos of both...I'd be interested in trying one of them at some point. I know the Korg has a very simple architecture and no wavetables but I'm not really a fan of wavetables either! So I was wondering which of the two would bring the most vintage sounds? I'm talking about relatively simple, bread and butter sounds: basses, leads, pads and some effects.

One thing I find odd on the Korg are its raw oscillator sound: it can sound "plasticky" to my ears! How does it compare to a raw saw or square wave on the MW? The filters on the Korg sound damn well though! I have the impression that they are stronger than the MWs Curtis chips, or am I wrong? The MW is of course much more versatile I think...Any opinions?
http://www.myspace.com/woofergr
http://www.jumpingfish.gr/Woofer

Casio VZ-10M, Commodore 64 & MSSIAH, Dave Smith Tetra, Kawai K5000R, Korg X5, Roland D-550, Roland JD-990 (w/Vintage Synth card), Waldorf Miniworks 4pole, Yamaha TX7
projectwoofer

Band: Woofer

Advertisement:

Re: Korg EX8000 vs Waldorf MicroWave 1 for vintage analog so

Postby mao » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:45 am

They sound pretty similar. I'm asking myself why I'm keeping both. If you are not a wavetable man, well get the EX. The EX has a really huge warm dark sound while the microwave can do interesting "klangy" things using the wavetables. The Microwave can surely do "a lot more". The EX has a nice and useful delay on board. If you need some great analog pads go with the EX. The Microwave is great on doing PPG stuff. Damn... now I keep them both.
mao

Gear: Andromeda - Voyager RME - VSynth XT - MonoEvolverKeyboard - NordRack2X - EX-8000 - Waldorf Microwave - Machinedrum - Monomachine

Postby rhodeschroma » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:10 am

I have both and Prefer the microwave. I don't use the ex-8000 so much. Little too mellow for my personal tastes. I only have it for that "once in a while" sound that I need. The microwave hits the mark with wavetable sounds, nice and ballsy, yet some dynamic fluid motion sounds, too. I wouldn't get rid of my Waldorf stuff at any point ( I have 2 microwave 1s, a MW 2, an XT, pulse plus, Rack attack, and Q). I have an equal amount of Korg stuff, but there aren't as many unique sounds from the era....(you either need to go way back or current.). Just my humble opinions.

Rhodeschroma...
--------
always looking for Rhodes chromas or expanders - dead or alive... My favorite analog poly ever created...
rhodeschroma

Gear: Favs: chroma, Jupiter 8, Solaris, Memorymoog among lots of others.

Postby 0e0 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:50 pm

there is something very vintage about the the dw/ex8000. the filters are as wet as hell.

it's got a very dark and round sound that i definitely equate with "vintage analog".
0e0

Gear: Roland MKS-50, Juno-106, JV-1080
Yamaha A4000, SU700, S80 (w/PLG150-VL), SY 77, SY 22
Oberheim Matrix-1000
Kawai K3m, K4
Zoom ST-224
Band: 0=0

Return to Synth Shootouts