Using a Yamaha SY22 with Makemusic Finale

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.

Using a Yamaha SY22 with Makemusic Finale

Postby katrina » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:10 am

Hello all,

Apologies for this beginner thread...

I was wondering if it was at all possible to somehow connect an old Yamaha SY22 Synth keyboard to a Macbook to use it as a Midi Keyboard with the notation program Finale..

Its got 3 MIDI in / out / thru pin holes at the back but I am not sure if it is too old to do this kind of thing. I don't want to buy one of those snazzy little midi keyboards for computers just yet if i can help it.

I am not very computer / technology savvy so thank you in advance to anyone who could help in suggesting if it could work. And if so, what kind of cables etc I would need. I also have access to an Mbox 2 if that would help.

Cheers,

Katrina
katrina

Advertisement:

Re: Using a Yamaha SY22 with Makemusic Finale

Postby nuketifromorbit » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:20 am

katrina wrote:Hello all,

Apologies for this beginner thread...

I was wondering if it was at all possible to somehow connect an old Yamaha SY22 Synth keyboard to a Macbook to use it as a Midi Keyboard with the notation program Finale..

Its got 3 MIDI in / out / thru pin holes at the back but I am not sure if it is too old to do this kind of thing. I don't want to buy one of those snazzy little midi keyboards for computers just yet if i can help it.

I am not very computer / technology savvy so thank you in advance to anyone who could help in suggesting if it could work. And if so, what kind of cables etc I would need. I also have access to an Mbox 2 if that would help.

Cheers,

Katrina

As long as you have some kind of midi adapter, usb or otherwise, it should work fine. I've used my sy22 with a el cheapo maudio uno usb to midi adapter with no problems.
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.
nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby katrina » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:30 am

Thanks so much for your reply nukeitfromorbit...

That is very helpful. I will try and get hold of one.

I also already have some midi connector cables, so i was thinking of connecting the Yamaha into my Mbox like that and then my mbox into my computer USB. Do you think that would work?

Many thanks again!
katrina

Postby nuketifromorbit » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:48 am

katrina wrote:Thanks so much for your reply nukeitfromorbit...

That is very helpful. I will try and get hold of one.

I also already have some midi connector cables, so i was thinking of connecting the Yamaha into my Mbox like that and then my mbox into my computer USB. Do you think that would work?

Many thanks again!

If you have the mbox model that has midi in, thats exactly whats its for. Just connect the midi out from the sy22 to the midi in of the mbox and the midi out of the mbox to the midi in of the sy22 (this later step is only necessary if you want to sequencer the sy22 with your mac).
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.
nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby katrina » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:19 am

Thanks again for your help!

I have managed to install the driver for the MBOX and changed the settings in Finale to get the midi from the MBOX....
:D
but for some reason when i hit the keys just this generic tone plays for all of them.

It is almost like it is detecting the midi note just not at the right pitch.
Can i ask you if there were any special settings you had to do on the SY22 keyboard itself to make it work with your computer?

Many thanks.
katrina

Postby katrina » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:37 am

never mind, i got it!!!
needed to set the input channels in finale to the mbox as well.
thanks heaps again - im so happy!
katrina

Return to Software Synthesizers