Emu Drumulator for $80?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Emu Drumulator for $80?

Postby smoothcriminal » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:00 am

Emu Drumulator for $80 - should I jump on it? It's apparently a lo-fi digital drum machine from the 80s. I have no idea what these sell for, eBay completed listing search reveals that one has never been sold on eBay.
smoothcriminal
Active Member
Active Member
 
Posts: 603
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:39 pm
Real name: Matt

Advertisement:

Re: Emu Drumulator for $80?

Postby nathanscribe » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:18 am

Don't be daft. Buy it. They sell for plenty more than that, and on eBay too.
User avatar
nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
 
Posts: 2936
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:03 pm
Location: The right side of the Pennines

Re: Emu Drumulator for $80?

Postby smoothcriminal » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:31 am

It's an hour drive, so I just want to make sure it's not widely known as a POS or something like that. It certainly doesn't look too amazing in terms of the interface. I do see one completed listing on eBay now, I wonder why that didn't show up earlier. It's the most vintage-y thing i've ever seen locally so i'm kind of excited.
smoothcriminal
Active Member
Active Member
 
Posts: 603
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:39 pm
Real name: Matt

Re: Emu Drumulator for $80?

Postby Sir Ruff » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:44 pm

Actually, I'd say $80 is a pretty average price and you'd probably not get much more flipping it (so if you're going to buy it, do it cos you want it). And you're right, they are nothing special in terms of interface or sounds (you can't tune them which is a major bummer).
Before you drive out there, I'd confirm with the seller that all the pads trigger well, and all the push buttons work. All of those type of buttons like to stop working over time. You can fix the pads pretty easily, but the push buttons basically have to be replaced if they're not working. If they don't, and you still want it, I'd offer $50 and go from there.
Do you even post on vse bro?
User avatar
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
 
Posts: 3353
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 11:55 pm
Location: Synthinnati
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Re: Emu Drumulator for $80?

Postby space6oy » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:56 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:Actually, I'd say $80 is a pretty average price and you'd probably not get much more flipping it


last one went for $175 shipped.

User avatar
space6oy
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 5915
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:29 am
Location: stuck in ohio.
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Re: Emu Drumulator for $80?

Postby Sir Ruff » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:01 pm

space6oy wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:Actually, I'd say $80 is a pretty average price and you'd probably not get much more flipping it


last one went for $175 shipped.



you mean it went for $130-not exactly a potential windfall if he makes that flipping it. And since when has the last auction price for anything been an accurate guide to sale prices? :|
Do you even post on vse bro?
User avatar
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
 
Posts: 3353
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 11:55 pm
Location: Synthinnati
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Re: Emu Drumulator for $80?

Postby space6oy » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:15 pm

no, as i said it went for $175 shipped. shows that he'll be aok getting his money back if he doesn't want to keep it - i don't think he's looking to make that drive to get this just to resell it for a profit.

also ebay's been an accurate guide to sale prices for YEARS now.

dude you bitch way too much about gear pricing...
User avatar
space6oy
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 5915
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:29 am
Location: stuck in ohio.
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Re: Emu Drumulator for $80?

Postby sequentialsoftshock » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:56 pm

I'd pick it up for that price. You may find yourself really digging it. If not, you can at least break even. IMO if I try something for two weeks and don't like it, then sell it for 10% less, I'm still breaking even. Otherwise I wouldn't have had that experience with it.
bonne chance
User avatar
sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
 
Posts: 2361
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:57 am
Location: Paris / Philadelphia
Real name: Zayne
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Re: Emu Drumulator for $80?

Postby Sir Ruff » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:34 pm

space6oy wrote:no, as i said it went for $175 shipped. shows that he'll be aok getting his money back if he doesn't want to keep it - i don't think he's looking to make that drive to get this just to resell it for a profit.

also ebay's been an accurate guide to sale prices for YEARS now.

dude you bitch way too much about gear pricing...


Ebay in general is a good guide, but the last auction is never a good indication-people love to use the highest value (never the lowest) for a sale as if that's the new "standard value"; I'll keep bitching about prices as long as people keep asking ridiculous inflated prices for their less than exotic, quotidian synths all in the name of making a profit :roll:
Last edited by Sir Ruff on Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do you even post on vse bro?
User avatar
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
 
Posts: 3353
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 11:55 pm
Location: Synthinnati
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Re: Emu Drumulator for $80?

Postby sequentialsoftshock » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:35 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:
space6oy wrote:no, as i said it went for $175 shipped. shows that he'll be aok getting his money back if he doesn't want to keep it - i don't think he's looking to make that drive to get this just to resell it for a profit.

also ebay's been an accurate guide to sale prices for YEARS now.

dude you bitch way too much about gear pricing...


Ebay in general is a good guide, but the last auction is never a good indication-people love to use the highest value (never the lowest) for a sale as if that's the new "standard value"; thus I'll keep bitching about prices as long as people keep asking ridiculous inflated prices for their less than exotic, quotidian synths all in the name of making a profit :roll:


You should really be bitching about the people who will pay them :lol:
bonne chance
User avatar
sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
 
Posts: 2361
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:57 am
Location: Paris / Philadelphia
Real name: Zayne
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Re: Emu Drumulator for $80?

Postby Sir Ruff » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:48 pm

sequentialsoftshock wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:
space6oy wrote:no, as i said it went for $175 shipped. shows that he'll be aok getting his money back if he doesn't want to keep it - i don't think he's looking to make that drive to get this just to resell it for a profit.

also ebay's been an accurate guide to sale prices for YEARS now.

dude you bitch way too much about gear pricing...


Ebay in general is a good guide, but the last auction is never a good indication-people love to use the highest value (never the lowest) for a sale as if that's the new "standard value"; thus I'll keep bitching about prices as long as people keep asking ridiculous inflated prices for their less than exotic, quotidian synths all in the name of making a profit :roll:


You should really be bitching about the people who will pay them :lol:


I guess so... but since there are clearly enough idiots willing to drive these prices along by buying them, there is some amount of control one can choose to exercise in setting the prices while still not losing money and making a profit.
Do you even post on vse bro?
User avatar
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
 
Posts: 3353
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 11:55 pm
Location: Synthinnati
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Re: Emu Drumulator for $80?

Postby space6oy » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:37 pm

so let me know when i can buy all your gear & turn around for a massive profit, ruffy. ;)
User avatar
space6oy
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 5915
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:29 am
Location: stuck in ohio.
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Re: Emu Drumulator for $80?

Postby Sir Ruff » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:55 pm

space6oy wrote:so let me know when i can buy all your gear & turn around for a massive profit, ruffy. ;)


haha... will do :lol:
Do you even post on vse bro?
User avatar
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
 
Posts: 3353
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 11:55 pm
Location: Synthinnati
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Re: Emu Drumulator for $80?

Postby space6oy » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:24 pm

glad you knew that was just me joking around! :D
User avatar
space6oy
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 5915
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:29 am
Location: stuck in ohio.
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Re: Emu Drumulator for $80?

Postby nathanscribe » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:57 pm

Clearly these things are cheaper over the pond. You'd be lucky to get one here for anywhere near that low...
User avatar
nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
 
Posts: 2936
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:03 pm
Location: The right side of the Pennines

Next

Return to Buyer's Guide

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests