where is the E-Mu Vintage Keys Rhodes sound?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

where is the E-Mu Vintage Keys Rhodes sound?

Postby mister_littlejeans » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:45 am

Hi all,

I recently purchased a Vintage Keys module, mostly due to the overwhelming positive reviews on sites such as this one, and am pleased with some of the organ and synth sounds, but am having a hard time finding these perfect emulations of keyboards such as Rhodes and Wurlys that everyone raves about. Am I missing something? Where are these sounds?

The manual talks about VK having "hundreds" of different sounds, but I only see 127 different sounds as I scroll through. Are more sounds hiding on me somewhere?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks all,
Matthew
mister_littlejeans

Advertisement:

Re: where is the E-Mu Vintage Keys Rhodes sound?

Postby Z » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:32 am

According to page 85 of the owners manual, there are 512 presets (0-255 RAM and 256-511 ROM). The Rhodes patches are 19-28 and Wurlies are 29-38.
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby mister_littlejeans » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:14 am

Thanks Z,

And how do I access these? The presets only go from 000-126 and then there are hundreds of empty patches for custom sounds. Can't see anything about RAM or ROM presets. The manual and google aren't providing any relief (I'm looking everywhere!)

Thanks very much,
Matthew
mister_littlejeans

Postby mister_littlejeans » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:30 pm

So I'll re-phrase my question...

How does one access RAM and ROM presets on an E-Mu Vintage Keys? The manual and google are of no help, perhaps because the question is too rudimentary. But when this is your first sound module, it's incredibly difficult to get any sense of how to operate the thing...

Thanks,
Matthew
mister_littlejeans

Postby vcs3 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:42 pm

do you have Vintage Keys or a Vintage Key Pro?
Check : http://www.emulatorarchive.com/Archives ... plers.html
vcs3
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: BitOne,DX7II, M-1000, ESQm, Procussion, NanoSynth, VL1, P2500, K5000R, FS1r, JX-3P, Ju-60,HR-16, CZ1000, RX-5,K2600S, Nord G1r, G2, XL-7, Shuthri-1

Postby mister_littlejeans » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:49 pm

Just Vintage Keys.

Is it possible that the person who owned this before me erased all the RAM presets? If there was an instruction manual that showed how to access both the RAM and ROM presets, it would be very convenient - now I'm left thinking that I've been sold a useless module!

Matthew
mister_littlejeans

Postby audible » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:58 am

You might want to perform a factory reset first and foremost. Press both cursor keys while turning on. Scroll through the menus till you reach 'Initialize'. Press Enter. Wait for it.

But even before resetting the unit, is it possible that you have not scrolled to the very end of the VK patchlist? There is not a different operational mode for ROM and RAM patch locations, it's just a question of order. If memory serves, patches 000-127 are RAM sounds (mainly copies from ROM sounds); patches 128-255 are empty ('default'); then patches 256-511 are ROM sounds (that cannot be overwritten).

That is what you get when you perform a factory reset. A bit featureless soundset, I reckon.

However, as a more experienced Proteus user told me, VKs were sold with a different sound bank that was noticeably more elaborate soundwise and it filled the whole RAM section with new patches leaving no 'default' gaps. (This is the soundbank I've seen demoed on Youtube, for instance - and the one my unit came with). And some time later, a third soundbank was released, that favoured 'synthier' patches.

You can download sysex files containing both banks at http://www.emu.com/support/files/downlo ... Platform=1 (for PC) or http://www.emu.com/support/files/downlo ... Platform=2 (for Mac)
...and transfer them to the VK using a free app like MIDIOX and an interface capable of sending MIDI protocol. You don't need to select a special mode or MIDI channel in the VK to receive sysex messages.
"The concern of the musician is music. The concern of the professional musician is business. Only become a professional musician if there is no choice." Robert Fripp.
audible
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Return to HELP!