Roland JX8P advise

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Roland JX8P advise

Postby Scottf » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:00 am

Just wondering about this synth, I think a step towards a two osc. synth could be good. I know about the PG-800...
Read in the stickies a tip about repair bills but I'm still going to ask: would the JX8p be a reliable synth, ok know it's DCO and has good midi implementation but what about the thing giving up.... is there know issues of failure and how hard would it be if there is an issue to repair this exact synth?
Can't think of anything else to ask right now but the above.
BTW, I'm brand new here and only a recent hardware guy.

Thanks, SF
Scottf

Advertisement:

Re: Roland JX8P advise

Postby smoothcriminal » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:02 am

all i know about the JX8P is that you can get them for ridiculously cheap. so its either the steal of the century or they actually suck, I have no idea. I want one.
smoothcriminal

Postby space6oy » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:16 am

you can get them cheap, but you can't get a PG-800 cheap. that's the catch.
i'd have hated menu diving the one i had if i didn't have a PG-800 w/ it.

they sound great though. fantastic low end.
space6oy

Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Postby Scottf » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:48 am

That seems to be the obvious catch with this one, no PG-800. Could I learn, doubt it. Some Logic midi programer thing comes with but if it's what I think, looks terrible and just as awkward as programing the synth and may well not work as "intended"

These PG-800s seem really rare(and costly) ....Looking to good to be true.
Unless I can find some instructions to the actual programing.
Scottf

Postby smoothcriminal » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:04 am

if its got a decent MIDI implementation, i.e. it sends/receives CCs, it should be no problem to program it from a computer or even set up a MIDI controller for it.
smoothcriminal

Postby ninja6485 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:09 am

not only do i not have a p8-800, but a guilty pleasure of mine is actually playing the presets. i use them in songs! but i tweak, i tweak. it's really not that bad, and in a way it can be good. similarly to what people report about the patch chords on the arp 2600, it urges you to approach the synth with a sound idea in mind. it's not a turn it on and twiddle knobs / live proformance kin of synth. the nice part is, if you really want it to be, it can! there's a virtual pg-800 free from this jx-8p fansite:
http://www.synthzone.com/mschreier/
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, esi4k,M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Postby Scottf » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:59 am

Can the filter "self resonate" and what are the waveforms for this synth on the DCO's?
Scottf

Postby Synthaholic » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:23 pm

Scottf wrote:Can the filter "self resonate" and what are the waveforms for this synth on the DCO's?
The filter has resonance but it doesn't self-oscillate. :cry:

The DCOs have, IIRC, sawtooth, square, and a narrow pulse. No variable pulse width or PWM. Noise is available as well. Cross modulation (sounds more like a ring modulator than FM), and hard-sync are available.
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda
Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Postby vinyl_junkie » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:25 pm

What about a JX-3P, they are dirt cheap

It's VERY easy to program without the optional PG, way easier than the 8P or a Alpha Juno
I didn't know the 8P's filter couldn't self oscillate..I know the 3P does cos I have one...she's not a bad synth some where in between a Juno sound wise
vinyl_junkie

Gear: Akai samplers

Postby Scottf » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:19 am

"self resonate" :oops:
Definitely no PW/PWM functions?(thought I read she had in the comments in the synth listings/detailer)

JX3P, maybe, we'll see, that one has some sort of step sequencer too, no?
Scottf

Postby Scottf » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:24 am

Page Two in visitor comments after searching VSE for JX8P:
"I'm not to much impressed with the Pulse Width Tones because all other Junos and Jupiters sounded much thicker. However, playing the realtime PWM is better than playing back samples of anything."
??
Scottf

Postby Scottf » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:48 am

Going on the vids of the JX3P and the JX8P by the excellent syntezatory.prv.pl youtuber, I think I can hear the difference in sound between the two. Even if it is coming from youtube quality, I can hear to me, the sharper JXP, which might be what people are describing as the "aggressive, rawer" sound. Then, also to me, a fuller sound for the JX8P which again might be what people are referring to as the "woolier, warmer" sound.
So, think I'll keep looking at the JX8P.

Anyone want to comment on my quote from the visitor comments(above) for the JX8P description on VSE?
Scottf

Postby D-Collector » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:36 am

Come on guys.. The JX-8P is ridiculously easy to program without the PG. I mean, press a button and move the slider. Is that so difficult?
D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby vinyl_junkie » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:50 am

D-Collector wrote:Come on guys.. The JX-8P is ridiculously easy to program without the PG. I mean, press a button and move the slider. Is that so difficult?

I agree but perhaps a little too similar to a DX-7 so people get nightmares hahah Imo the worst of these synths to program is the Alpha Juno's...the Alpha dial straight up sucks...the 8P and 3P way of doing things is much easier..in fact pretty much child's play if you know your "enerope" from your filter lol (Roland miss speled envelope in the 3P manual..and I like to call them enevropes now)
The bad bits about the 3P mainly are no Mono/Legato mode, only receives on CH1 and ALWYAS switches on in OMNI without the upgrade/mod

It's a pretty versatile synth sound wise to be honest for what it is imo, it best shines at sting sounds I think and it can totally nail those Gary Numan type synth lines like on Cars...

Did a few examples here
Watch on youtube.com
vinyl_junkie

Gear: Akai samplers

Postby Scottf » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:13 pm

Nice youtube! Re: the "after-touch", I don't have a clue what this is, only that it's a feature.
How would you(or somebody that doesn't have a clue) go about testing the synth to see if the after touch works?
Scottf

Next

Return to Buyer's Guide