Vintage Roland Human Rhythm Composer R8

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Vintage Roland Human Rhythm Composer R8

Postby newatthis » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:51 am

Hi,

Just found in the Shed an old Roland Human Rhythm Composer R8.. How much should I expect to sell this for?
Also, what is the best way to test its working condition..? Power goes to the unit but am unsure if it is fully working..

Thanks,
newatthis

Advertisement:

Re: Vintage Roland Human Rhythm Composer R8

Postby Alex E » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:42 am

If it's been sitting in an un-heated or air conditioned shed I don't know how well it may be working after all these years.
Working R8's in good condition usually sell for about $250, give or take.

Some things to test:

With headphones, check all the outputs.
Does it sound like it should?
Is the screen displaying information normally?
Are all pads and buttons working?
Is the machine playing back drum sequences when you tell it to?
soundcloud.com/vectron

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alpha Juno 2, Live 8, iMac MC309XX/A

Postby implant » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:31 pm

Selling As Is
add that to the auction or ad of your choice
implant

Gear: k2500s, k4r, mc-09, ms-404, BassStation kybd, k-station, mvs-1, syntrack, mini/microbrute, tbx-303, kult, fsr1, sg01v, spawn, fizmo.

Postby Computer Controlled » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:47 am

Hardly vintage
Synths:
@Juno-1 . x0xb0x . Arturia Minibrute . Octatrack . MonoMachine mkII . Monotribe . Monotron . Monotron Delay
Drum Machines:
Machinedrum UW mkI . ProCussion
Computer Controlled

Gear: SH-101, TB-303, TR-707, R-70, x0xb0x, SEM, FR XS, Oberkorn v3, Eurorack Modular, Monotribe, Monotron, UltraNova, Emu Procussion.
Band: Computer Controlled

Postby StepLogik » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:37 pm

Computer Controlled wrote:Hardly vintage

The R8 was released in 1988 - as a 20+ year old piece of equipment it meets the "technical" definition of "vintage". :?

However, it is not nearly as desirable as other "vintage" drum machines of the early 80's.
StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Postby gcoudert » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:22 pm

StepLogik wrote:However, it is not nearly as desirable as other "vintage" drum machines of the early 80's.

I bought one last month... :oops:
If you have the right ROM card(s), then I guess it can be. I think I paid UK£150 for mine. The 'Roll' button doesn't work.
Gilles C.
gcoudert

Gear: Roland Fantom X8, R8, JV1080 + Orchestral & Vintage Synth cards, Akai S5000, Fender Telecaster, Korg AX3000G.

Postby StepLogik » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:54 pm

R8 sounds great. its a very nice drum machine. but it definitely doesn't have the cult status of the x0x drum boxes or a Linn, etc.
StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Postby gcoudert » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:39 pm

StepLogik wrote:R8 sounds great. its a very nice drum machine. but it definitely doesn't have the cult status of the x0x drum boxes or a Linn, etc.

I know, you're right. However, and this is going to shock you, I really got into music at a time when some of those machines (the CR78, 808 and 606 in particular) were considered so unrealistic that nobody would touch them with a barge pole. This was the time when realistic, sampled drums were the latest craze so those old drum machines were selling for close to nothing because they were considered, well, cr*p. 25 years on, I still feel that way about them although I am not judging anybody who likes them. I am sincerely glad that somebody discovered the potential of those old machines but their raw power is just not for me.

Whilst I do like some of those 808 & 909 sounds very much, I wouldn't know what to do with one of those machines; if I was given one, I would sell it on and keep my R8. I mean, surely, if you have the complete TR808 or whatever sample set and program/trigger your R8/sampler suitably, it's the same thing as a real TR808, isn't it? Does it really have anything else to offer? Or is this just about collectibility? ;)
Gilles C.
gcoudert

Gear: Roland Fantom X8, R8, JV1080 + Orchestral & Vintage Synth cards, Akai S5000, Fender Telecaster, Korg AX3000G.

Postby gmeredith » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:24 pm

You found it in your shed. Amongst tractors, haybales, farming implements and horse saddles
Casio: FZ1, CZ101, PG380, VZ10M, SK8, RAP10, DP1 drum kit, DH100, CDP200
Yamaha: TX81z, TX802, SHS10
Roland: SH101, DR660, MS1, PM16, TR33
Others: Korg MicroKontrol & ES-1, Alesis MMT8, Emu ESi2000 & CF card reader, Evolution MK461C, BCR2000
gmeredith

Band: Warning Will Robinson

Postby Computer Controlled » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:07 am

StepLogik wrote:

The R8 was released in 1988 - as a 20+ year old piece of equipment it meets the "technical" definition of "vintage". :?

However, it is not nearly as desirable as other "vintage" drum machines of the early 80's.

I think the proper amount of years for something to become " Vintage" is 25. So it's almost there. But then there's "vintage", and then there's "VINTAGE". The R8 will simply just be vintage.

The R-70 on the other hand...
Synths:
@Juno-1 . x0xb0x . Arturia Minibrute . Octatrack . MonoMachine mkII . Monotribe . Monotron . Monotron Delay
Drum Machines:
Machinedrum UW mkI . ProCussion
Computer Controlled

Gear: SH-101, TB-303, TR-707, R-70, x0xb0x, SEM, FR XS, Oberkorn v3, Eurorack Modular, Monotribe, Monotron, UltraNova, Emu Procussion.
Band: Computer Controlled

Postby yamaha22 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:06 am

gcoudert wrote:
StepLogik wrote:R8 sounds great. its a very nice drum machine. but it definitely doesn't have the cult status of the x0x drum boxes or a Linn, etc.

I know, you're right. However, and this is going to shock you, I really got into music at a time when some of those machines (the CR78, 808 and 606 in particular) were considered so unrealistic that nobody would touch them with a barge pole. This was the time when realistic, sampled drums were the latest craze so those old drum machines were selling for close to nothing because they were considered, well, cr*p. 25 years on, I still feel that way about them although I am not judging anybody who likes them. I am sincerely glad that somebody discovered the potential of those old machines but their raw power is just not for me.

Whilst I do like some of those 808 & 909 sounds very much, I wouldn't know what to do with one of those machines; if I was given one, I would sell it on and keep my R8. I mean, surely, if you have the complete TR808 or whatever sample set and program/trigger your R8/sampler suitably, it's the same thing as a real TR808, isn't it? Does it really have anything else to offer? Or is this just about collectibility? ;)

can't you tweak the 808/909 sounds other than just volume?
yamaha22

Postby colmon » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:39 am

coolest thing about the R8 is its ability to record pitch slider movements. you can get some pretty weird sounds that way
colmon

Postby gcoudert » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:41 am

yamaha22 wrote:
gcoudert wrote:

can't you tweak the 808/909 sounds other than just volume?

Colmon has answered it. You can set the pitch/decay/nuance*/volume/pan/micro timing of any sound or tweak them in real time using the Value slider. The changes are recorded and played back as you entered them. It's a VERY cool feature of the R8. *Not all sounds respond to nuance. Pan has 7 different settings (L3, L2, L1, C, R1, R2, R3) but the pitch range is amazingly wide.
The "Electronic" card has all the TR808 sounds and there is another, "Dance" I think, which contains 909 and CR78 samples.
Gilles C.
gcoudert

Postby StepLogik » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:57 pm

Computer Controlled wrote:
StepLogik wrote:

I think the proper amount of years for something to become " Vintage" is 25. So it's almost there. But then there's "vintage", and then there's "VINTAGE". The R8 will simply just be vintage.

The R-70 on the other hand...

Surely the R-70 will be as coveted as the TR-909 in a few years!
StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member

Return to General Synthesizers