Korg MICROkorg

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Korg MICROkorg

Postby SXGT » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:32 pm

I just bought one yesterday. I am new to keyboards. Got tired of guitars after 10 years so I am going to pull an eddie vanm halen and try out the Keys.

I have a mac book. What is some ideal software people are using these days, also anything else you recomend I get?

Also a tutorial on how to use the thing would be nice.
SXGT

Advertisement:

Re: Korg MICROkorg

Postby yamaha22 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:38 pm

get a software multitrack
yamaha22

Postby danbroad » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:02 pm

Join KVR, and ask in the 'getting started' forum. You'l receive a world of help as long as you don't used pirated software. Fortunately, there's a world of free software that'll both help you record, accompany and master your tracks.

Try Reaper or Mu.Lab for free software recording solutions [Reaper is effectively shareware, and if you want to pay it's really well priced and as good as Cubase or Logic.]
Add Crystal, Automat and other great free synths to add extra spice
Add Sampletank free and some free drums
Master it using the free effects that exist, many as good as payware.

You'll nee a way of piping the MicroKorg into the computer - choose an inexpensive USB audio interface with a guitar Hi-Z input, and you could even then use some of the great free guitar amp sims to add guitar back into your finished tracks.

As for tutorials, head over to the soundonsound.com website. Search for the synthesis tutorials, and also read the monthly column on Reaper if that's what you use. Finally, there's some excellent tutorials on mixing and mastering - and all for free.
Less words more noise
danbroad

Gear: TSC4 P12 NI9

Postby SXGT » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:20 am

Thanks for the info !
SXGT

Postby meatballfulton » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:21 pm

Software: your MacBook has Garageband installed. This will work just fine to get you going.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Postby tallowwaters » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:18 pm

SXGT wrote:
Also a tutorial on how to use the thing would be nice.

http://www.korg.com/uploads/Support/mic ... 600000.pdf
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.
tallowwaters

Gear: synesthesia, venereal disease, obsessive compulsive disorder, manic depressive disorder, and sensitive skin.

Postby Stab Frenzy » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:56 pm

meatballfulton wrote:Software: your MacBook has Garageband installed. This will work just fine to get you going.

+1
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby Doooooooom » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:15 pm

The Microkorg was my first synth too but I played piano and arranger keyboard before that. I would say that the Microkorg is a good synth to learn on at least for a compact portable type because the parameters of the editing matrix are printed on the front plate. If you want to learn how to program your own sounds you have to read the manual and experiment with each setting until you understand what it does. Download the software sound editor from the Korg website. The Mac version has a random patch generator. (A 'patch' means a sound)
Doooooooom

Gear: Microkorg, Mopho Keyboard, Korg SP-300 piano, Roland KC-110 amp, Korg Pandora.

Return to General Synthesizers