Based on my needs -Yamaha su700?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Based on my needs -Yamaha su700?

Postby cultSandwich » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:50 pm

I'm primarily a DJ with a few years experience but no background in music making or gear. I've messed around with ableton, but as someone new to making beats I usually get bogged down looking at such open-ended programs. I figure an su700 would be a good choice to get my feet wet in beat/music making, and additionally use it for a bit of looping and superfluous beats during dj sets. Worst case scenario, I read it has some decent effects.

So, good choice? Keep in mind I'm not looking for the end-all sampling and performance unit. I just want something fairly cheap to learn on, use during dj sets, and maybe spur a little creativity.
cultSandwich

Advertisement:

Re: Based on my needs -Yamaha su700?

Postby cultSandwich » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:04 am

Any input y'all? Anyone own/ed one of these things? I'm curious to know how useful it is for sampling on the fly. Is it handy enough to take 8 bars and loop them in the middle of a DJ set? How long does it take to load a full floppy worth of data?

I'm currently using Traktor Scratch for dj'ing. It can only play from a max of four audio sources off the computer, two of which I have to dedicate for mixing. The remaining two tracks are fairly tedious for playing one-off sounds and loops, considering I can only ever have two loaded at a time. Considering the bad load time, I'm curious if it would be viable to run a third out from Traktor into the su700 and then resample them on the fly, every set, as opposed to loading them from a floppy. I suppose I would have already edited the sample length and other features on the comp beforehand, hopefully cutting down on any editing on the su700 after taking the sample.

Thoughts?
cultSandwich

Postby gordwiebe » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:01 pm

I owned one for a while and found it a little tedious and slow to get anything done - it sounded good and was fun, but it is quite old for a sampler.
You may want to look at one of the sampling electribes for your needs - I think they are geared towards exactly the sort of thing that you are looking to do.
gordwiebe

Gear: motif ES rack +cards, alesis fusion, E-MU PX7 + cards, siel MONO

Postby cultSandwich » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:37 am

I ended up buying two of these for very cheap... Together they were cheaper than a good price on a new ESX-1.

Potentially something to regret, but we'll see I guess. :idea:
cultSandwich

Return to Buyer's Guide