Emu Planet Earth vs Roland World Card & JV1080

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Emu Planet Earth vs Roland World Card & JV1080

Postby iphoenix » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:11 pm

Emu Planet Earth or Roland 'World Card' & JV1080, for ethnic sounds & general exotic sounds.
iphoenix

Advertisement:

Re: Emu Planet Earth vs Roland World Card & JV1080

Postby moonwind » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:33 am

iphoenix wrote:Emu Planet Earth or Roland 'World Card' & JV1080, for ethnic sounds & general exotic sounds.

Having owned the EMU Planet Earth long enough to listened to it and having owned the JV1080 for alot longer Id definitely go with the JV1080 actually a 2080 is better.

There was also an Asian board which augments the World car with a ton of bells, bowl and more Indian sounds i,e, percussion etc. With those two you will cover the EMU + much more.

The JV1080 has 4 exp slots and the 2080 8 so expandability is huge. Plus you can ad the really excellent Vintage Synth board which blew the EMU Vintage Synth mod out of the water.

The JV World sounds do not sound dated even today and they have been used in tons of sound tracks.

I think the EMU is ok but I never thought the audio quality was as warm in ANY of the EMU romplers + the Planet Earth lacks decent filters and no sitars! Yes there are a few crucial sounds they didnt have.

I have used the World sounds in a few full length releases and think they still sound good!

Hope this helps!
moonwind

Postby iphoenix » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:03 am

Hi moonwind,
that is very helpful, thanks a lot!
I already have the JV1080, so that helps.
I have heard a lot of good reviews of the Planet Earth, & with all the modulation options & patch cords etc & the beats mode & arpeggiators on the Planet Earth, this made it sound very appealing to me.

I like the idea of a lot of powerful synth processing power with ethnic textures & waves at the heart,(as Rom samples)
Im surprised that the P. E. does not have sitars nor decent filters.
I always liked the Emu filters, but I havnt heard the filters on the later Emu romplers.

Im more experienced with the Emu Ultra series samplers & the Morpheus & Ultra Proteus , all of which I have & still use & love.

The JV1080 does also have good modulation possibilities, but Im more familiar with the Emus .

I keep meaning to add the vintage synth board to the JV1080, but its always quite expensive & rare enough.

I really want the Asian board as I love Indian etc sounds & percussion/ sitars etc.

I also love Arabian instruments & tunings, is there much of that on the 'World Card'?

If there was an 'Arab card' Id definitely want that.

Moonwind Have a good year & life!
iphoenix

Postby supermel74 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:35 am

iphoenix wrote:
I also love Arabian instruments & tunings, is there much of that on the 'World Card'?

If there was an 'Arab card' Id definitely want that.

Moonwind Have a good year & life!
The patch and wave list for the World Card
http://www.planet-groove.com/roland/sr-jv80-05.html
supermel74

Gear: Korg ESX, iPad

Postby 0e0 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:27 am

i have the world card..and it's really nice but i think ive outgrown it.

however..if you are genuinely interested in ethnic sounds, I would recommend getting a sampler that reads Akai s1000 discs. There are many amazing libraries in that format. I have a yamaha a4000 and it reads s1000, Roland and EMU formats. Ive installed a hardrive and ive converted the roland, spectrasonics (some of the world and asia card material), and emu world sample libraries to a4000 format and saved them in my samplers hardrive. its fun times.

j

0=0
0e0

Gear: Roland MKS-50, Juno-106, JV-1080
Yamaha A4000, SU700, S80 (w/PLG150-VL), SY 77, SY 22
Oberheim Matrix-1000
Kawai K3m, K4
Zoom ST-224
Band: 0=0

Postby iphoenix » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:08 pm

Supermel74, thanks for the patch list...

OeO, thats a great idea, my Roland MV8000 reads Akai samples & wavs, my Emu E5000 Ultra reads wavs too,

sounds indeed like fun times!

Good luck to you both, P
iphoenix

Postby iphoenix » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:18 pm

Supermel74 ,
I just had a look at the World card patch & wave list, that looks amazing, just what I am looking for, all bases covered for my tastes & more.

OeO ,
I have most of the Roland S50 'world & ethnic samples ( on floppy discs) that I used to use with my W30, but unfortunately my MV8000 ( floppy drive) doesnt read them & my W30 no longer works.
There were quite a lot of nice Japanese/ Asian sounds on those, including gongs, & many percussion instruments.
Shame I cant access them. Actually I just downloaded the complete Roland S50 collection from a kind V.S.E. member on this site, so hopefully I can use those. ( away from home at monent.)
iphoenix

Return to Synth Shootouts