Doepfer Dark Energy

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Doepfer Dark Energy

Postby breckjay » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:55 pm

has any one played this synth? i saw one one crags list for $600 and wanted to get some feed back about it. it really don't look like much but it has good reviews. its 100% analog which is the best, but would like a second opinion. any thoughts or comments on the Doepfer Dark Energy?
Mopho Key's, Roland sh-32, Korg R3, M Audio Venom, Korg EMX 1, Korg ER 1, and lots of hours in the hole.
breckjay
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: To many cables...

Advertisement:

Re: Doepfer Dark Energy

Postby vvd » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:04 pm

well, its great! no synced LFO's, so when you're into wobble bass you would have to use some software filter. here's a track i've made where all sounds are DE (drums too):

it's my most used synth because my other synths are digital and less hands-on.
i have also connected the audio input to a send on my mixer. allows for sound mangling of drums or other material. and i can feedback the DE output to it's input for extra fatness!
vvd
vvd

Gear: dde, micron, emu romplers

Postby nuketifromorbit » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:12 pm

600 isn't that great of a price considering it sells for 625. I got mine for 575 new from analog haven during one of their ten percent off sales. That being said its a great little synth and despite having only one oscillator its capable of a surprising amount of sounds due to its fm rate lfo's and the ability to linear frequency modulate the filter.
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.
nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby vinyl_junkie » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:22 pm

Man the DE is only £300 new here

Looks like a good start, it may only have one OSC but it's a good one..the synth it's self is very fat sounding.
More Moog like than 101
It's a gate way synth in that if you buy one you realise that you have a midi / cv interface and some basic modular expansions (EG, LFO) then that starts you thinking.
Small modular cases with a psu can be had for £56 or so from Thomann, a wasp filter is £50, another LFO is £40.... before you know it you’ve bought a 9u modular case and have stuffed it full of £3000 worth of modules lol
vinyl_junkie

Gear: Akai samplers

Postby vinyl_junkie » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:30 pm

vvd wrote:well, its great! no synced LFO's, so when you're into wobble bass you would have to use some software filter. here's a track i've made where all sounds are DE (drums too):

i have also connected the audio input to a send on my mixer. allows for sound mangling of drums or other material. and i can feedback the DE output to it's input for extra fatness!
vvd

That's a really nice track you have done there with the DE 8-)

I keep putting off do buy one...don't know why, my mate has one but he uses it with a big A-100 system...It would be great if the at least one of the LFO's could key track then you could use them as a extra OSC.

It's tracks like these that keep saying..go'wan buy one lol
vinyl_junkie

Gear: Akai samplers

Postby Lindsay » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:25 pm

Agreed, that's an awesome track vvd.
Lindsay

Postby impaler42 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:35 pm

Used to have one of these. It does exponential FM which is pretty nice. The layout is pretty intuitive as well.
electronic music forever

http://www.grainshifter.com[/url]
impaler42
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Ensoniq Fizmo, Yamaha FS1R, E-mu Ultra Proteus, Korg Wavestation SR, Waldorf Blofeld
Band: Grainshifter

Postby memory cords » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:32 pm

I have a Dark Energy and I like it a lot. Really glad I bought it. The range of the LFOs is great (super slow to super fast) and the basic tone is good. It can sound nasty or smooth depending on how you tweak it. As vvd mentioned you can also use it to process other synths and drum machines. I use it for basslines, drones, leads and effects and it's effective at doing all of those.

Some good Dark Energy Videos on youtube, they show the range of sounds it's capable of:

Watch on youtube.com

Watch on youtube.com

Watch on youtube.com

Also have a look at the Vermona Mono Lancet, the Analog Solutions Semblance/Telemark, the MFB Kraftzwerg, and the new TomOberheim.com SEM. They are very similar to the Dark Energy featurewise and all of them (including the Dark Energy) are good so you can't go wrong.
Last edited by memory cords on Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
memory cords

Postby Sir Ruff » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:40 pm

vvd wrote:well, its great! no synced LFO's, so when you're into wobble bass you would have to use some software filter. here's a track i've made where all sounds are DE (drums too):

vvd

great demo! Always very impressed with those making whole tracks from one monophonic synth!
Do you even post on vse bro?
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Postby James Mandible » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:14 am

I've been tempted on this one for a while but Analogue Haven always seems to be out of them and as far as I know they're the only US dealer. The videos look great and the idea of built in modular interface is a huge turn-on for me. Hopefully I'll pick one up eventually.
James Mandible

Postby theglyph » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:52 pm

James Mandible wrote:I've been tempted on this one for a while but Analogue Haven always seems to be out of them and as far as I know they're the only US dealer.

Nova Musik has them in stock!

http://www.novamusik.com/search.aspx?ty ... =240&lbs=6

If you contact them they offer special deals on their gear including the DE.
Eurorack modular, Voyager w/351,MF101.102.104.105B, LP Stage, Juno-106, Siel DK600, Paia 9700, Nord Electro 2, Ensoniq MR76
theglyph

Postby balma » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:16 pm

Not an owner, but I must write q reply to say I enjoyed the track/ How much is the poly?
"If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies you won´t find another"
Carl Sagan

https://soundcloud.com/balma
balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Postby James Mandible » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:53 pm

theglyph wrote:
James Mandible wrote:I've been tempted on this one for a while but Analogue Haven always seems to be out of them and as far as I know they're the only US dealer.

Nova Musik has them in stock!

http://www.novamusik.com/search.aspx?ty ... =240&lbs=6

If you contact them they offer special deals on their gear including the DE.

Oh sweet! I'll keep that in mind then, thanks!
James Mandible

Postby shaft9000 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:08 am

every DE thread needs the DestroyX viddy in there somewhere so here it is
[squinty 'blue' eyes, and the rest]
Watch on youtube.com
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies
shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: ZF synchromesh 6-speed manual transmission

Return to General Synthesizers