korg karma/E-Mu MP-7

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

korg karma/E-Mu MP-7

Postby rex » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:24 pm

I am an amateur musician and I am a little lost lost on the technical side and I hope someone could help with my set-up. I have a Korg Karma keyboard and have just purchased the E-Mu MP-7 Command station as I like the 32 Arpeggiators. With the MIDI cable from the MIDI out on the keyboard to the MIDI in on the MP-7, I can play all the sounds/arpeggiators that are on the MP-7 using the Korg keyboard and that's fine, but is there a set-up that I can do the reverse - use the arpeggiators on the MP-7 for the thousands of sounds on the Karma?
rex

Advertisement:

Re: korg karma/E-Mu MP-7

Postby pricklyrobot » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:46 pm

rex wrote:is there a set-up that I can do the reverse?
Yep, you just, do the reverse. ;) MIDI Out from the MP-7 to the MIDI In on your Karma, make sure they're both set to the same MIDI channel (specifically the MP-7's MIDI Send channel needs to be the same as the Karma's MIDI Receive channel), and you're good to go.

I'd highly recommend reading the entire MP-7 manual. It's 300-something pages, but they're very complex machines, and a lot of the functions are not particularly intuitive. It's an excellent synth/sequencer but can be tricky to wrap your head around; forearming yourself with some info is essential.
Nord Mod G1 -- Arturia MiniBrute -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Roland V-Synth, JV-1080 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop -- 8 modules (and counting) o' Eurocrack
pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby rex » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:40 pm

Thanks, I shall try that, but MIDI is a minefield for me. Perhaps you can also help with...I bought the E-Mu MP-7 second hand (obviously) and I cannot find any factory preset sounds/patterns and songs. Surely they can't be erased. I have the sounds from the additional SIMM OK, but I am puzzled about the absence of sounds in any of the banks and user banks (I used to have a E-Mu PK6 keyboard which is not too dissimilar)
rex

Postby balma » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:46 pm

On the ARP menu, you must select anyone of these:

TRANSMIT ARPS AND RIFFS
or
TRANSMIT ARPS

On the sequencing MIDI menu, the transmision channel of the track sequencer must be set to BOTH.

Do not forget to turn off the TRANSMIT MIDI NOTE off on the global directory. If you have it ON, both note hold and arpeggio will be transmitted at the same time.

Do not hesitate to ask again if you can't....

Seems fun to me that you want to send the EMU's arpeggios to the Karma. Karma has the reputation of being a "super arppegiator workstation" ......

But it's the right decision. Those "four Karma modules" are a SHIT to program, you spend more time programming an arp, than composing a whole sequence. the E-mu has a tiny screen, but it has one of the most wonderful and smart arpeggiator sections ever. 100 arps that are stored permanently like sequences, and can be beautifully programmed with a very simple method.

as you can see in the pic above, I also had a command station and a Karma.

I sold the Karma...
"If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies you won´t find another"
Carl Sagan

https://soundcloud.com/balma
balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Postby balma » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:02 am

they CAN be erased. They are 100 shitty patterns.

but the EMU is a 100% customizable synth. It has a long, long learning curve, don't be cheated for that tiny screen, is one of the deepest romplers on the market

You can find them on the EMU site, just type EMU MP7 Factory patterns and they'll popup somewhere.

For that, you must also download the ELOADER software, is pretty easy to find everywhere.

The Emu is a GREAT instrument, my word. any question I can help...

ALSO***
You must copy the preset banks on the user banks.
"If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies you won´t find another"
Carl Sagan

https://soundcloud.com/balma
balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Return to HELP!