Doepfer Dark Energy + Midi Keyboard vs Moog Prodigy

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Doepfer Dark Energy + Midi Keyboard vs Moog Prodigy

Postby basic303 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:32 am

Whadya think? I'm lookin for a good monosynth.
Arsenal: Elektron Machinedrum SPS-1,Roland JX-3P, Yamaha DX7s, Doepfer Dark Energy, Multivox String Machine, Korg DDD-1, Korg M1, Roland MKS-7, 1978 Fender Precision Bass, Upright Bass
basic303

Advertisement:

Re: Doepfer Dark Energy + Midi Keyboard vs Moog Prodigy

Postby nuketifromorbit » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:30 am

basic303 wrote:Whadya think? I'm lookin for a good monosynth.

Kind of different. You've got a mono analog with 2 oscillators plus sync, versus a a mono analog with only one vco. Of course the DE has some tricks up its sleeve such as two lfo's that can get into the audio rate, PWM, and linear frequency modulation of the filter via the triangle out of the vco. Also the doepfer has a cem filter, which isn't exactly moog style. I've never played a moog, much less a prodigy, so I can only comment on the DE. For what its worth I really like the DE, but I'm not exactly an analog fanatic. I just wanted a simple bass lead synth which was also capable of strange FM sound effects.
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.
nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Doepfer Dark Energy + Midi Keyboard vs Moog Prodigy

Postby natrixgli » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:20 pm

As the last post says, it's two entirely different animals. The Vermona Mono Lancet is much closer to the Prodigy's architecture at the DE's price range / footprint. Before anyone freaks out, I am not saying the Mono Lancet sounds like a Prodigy.

Personally I'd go for the modern stuff due to MIDI and reliability, but I did have a Prodigy and loved it. Mine looked like hell but was reliable and sounded great. It is a limited beast though, and not very good for experimentation. It will get you "the Moog sound" and excellent lead/bass type stuff but not a whole lot in terms of wacky FX, etc.

If noise/experimentation/etc was my aim, I'd go for the Doepfer. If I wanted mostly "bread and butter" analog synth sounds I'd go for the Vermona Mono Lancet. Honestly unless money is no factor or you want something that's a good long-term investment I would avoid the old stuff. For the price of a used Prodigy you could almost get a Dark Energy AND a Mono Lancet. (or two Dark Energys, or a couple of MFB synths, etc)
natrixgli

Gear: USB Hub, Pedalboard, Keyboard Stand, and many cables.
Band: Suboscillator

Return to Synth Shootouts