Roland fantom or yamaha motif?

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Roland fantom or yamaha motif?

Postby the_noodlemeister » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:22 pm

I'm considering purchasing either a roland fantom (x6 or g6) or a yamaha motif (xs6). I am looking for a workstation / synthesizer that can provide trance / dance sounds (also Pendulm-esque), but also the sound of older synths (ie moog, oscar) AND even nord lead-type sounds. I'm asking for alot, i know, as i also want something relatively 'future-proof'. Is there such a beast out there? And, if not a fantom / motif then what?
I currently have a JP8000 and several 'softsynths' (zeta3, Zebra, absynth 5, v station, discovery, predator, massive, fm8, nexus, vanguard) which i use with an m-audio axiom 49. Also, will i be able to use these software synths via the fantom / motif (thus making the axiom obsolete)? I do like the softsynths but i have to admit i'm more a hardware type of guy.
Any advice would be hugely appreciated :)
the_noodlemeister

Gear: Digidesign 002 rack, JP8000, jx3p, novation ks rack, protools le8, predator

Advertisement:

Re: Roland fantom or yamaha motif?

Postby krzeppa » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:23 am

I currently have an original Roland Fantom and a Yamaha MO8 (basically a smaller version of the Motif ES). I would have to say that I use them for quite different purposes. If I am looking for something trance-like or dance oriented, I go right to Yamaha. It can do the trance side of things very well in my opinion. As for the Fantom, I think I have a sentimental place for it in my heart because I wrote my first complete song on it and nothing else. Overall though, I think the Yamaha is better machine.
I love the Fantom for the Strings and Choirs....to me they are simply better than my MO8, or just about anything else I have tried. Also, I like the Fantom for FX....the original Fantom (my expansion boards) has tons of cool FX that I have used quite often. These expansion boards are actually what makes the workstation appealing to me.
But, when it comes to synth sounds, basses, leads, etc....I would definitely turn to my MO8 and not the Fantom.
In fact, I rarely ever turn the Fantom on anymore unless I need that choir, a string, or a weird effect. The MO8 is almost constantly on because it seems to be a more well rounded workstation that is capable of doing just about anything I need it to do.
I know that I'm not comparing the exact two workstations that you are considering, and maybe the newer Fantoms are far better than the one I have. However, I have also played a Fantom G8 and the new Motif XF, and the Motif impressed me far more than the Fantom.
krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Accordion, Bag Pipes, Concertina, Banjo, and Wash Board
Band: Where the Embers Fall

Postby Z » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:08 am

Being a vintage synth guy, it takes a lot for new gear to impress me. I picked up a new Fantom X6 new 4 years ago and was so impressed that I picked up a second one used only a few months later to have at my office. I've got the Classic Keys SRX expansion in both which has lots of great analog-like sounds.

I'm not very familiar with Yamaha gear, so I can't comment there. One thing I do like about the X6 is being able to process other gear through the X6's built-in effects. JUst the other day, I was running my Jupiter 6 through an effect on the X6 called Lo-Fi Radio which is like a bit crusher or decimator. I made a video and put it on my FaceBook page, not sure if this link will work for "non friends':
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=2 ... 1904501395
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby Ashe37 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:35 am

You want my opinion? Korg M3 with the RADIAS expansion. Samples of some of those old synths you want and a fully capable VA synth engine. 64 mb RAM onboard, can take an additional 256, uses USB for storage (i have a thumb drive in mine)
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Access Virus Indigo
Korg M3-61 , MS2000BR
Emu XL-7
Oberheim Matrix 6r
Yamaha TG-33, Kawai K3m
Blofeld, Micron, Mopho
Band: Eridani V

Postby the_noodlemeister » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:34 pm

Many thanks, guys, for your responses - although i can't say that i'm any nearer to choosing! :) I suppose that i am leaning more to the fantom x6 (less expensive) but will take a closer look at the yamahas - and also the korg m3. But, with any of these, would i still need my midi keyboard to run my software synths or would i be able to use those through the fantom / motif / m3 workstation?
the_noodlemeister

Gear: Digidesign 002 rack, JP8000, jx3p, novation ks rack, protools le8, predator

Postby krzeppa » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:28 pm

the_noodlemeister wrote:Many thanks, guys, for your responses - although i can't say that i'm any nearer to choosing! :) I suppose that i am leaning more to the fantom x6 (less expensive) but will take a closer look at the yamahas - and also the korg m3. But, with any of these, would i still need my midi keyboard to run my software synths or would i be able to use those through the fantom / motif / m3 workstation?

Any of them will work as a midi controller to control you softsynths.
krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Accordion, Bag Pipes, Concertina, Banjo, and Wash Board
Band: Where the Embers Fall

Postby Ashe37 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:55 pm

and i dont know about the other two, but the M3 supports configuring the front panel to edit softsynths. It comes with some presets for doing so buy like most midi controllers those presets are dated as soon as the machine ships.
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Access Virus Indigo
Korg M3-61 , MS2000BR
Emu XL-7
Oberheim Matrix 6r
Yamaha TG-33, Kawai K3m
Blofeld, Micron, Mopho
Band: Eridani V

Postby midimarty » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:07 am

I have the rack mount version of both. They are both loaded with great sounds. I do like the Yamaha better. I think you get a little more bang for the buck.
midimarty

Gear: VirusTI,MoogVoyager,Roland,Korg,Ensoniq,Alesis,Yamaha,Emu,Kawai,Kurzweil,Oberheim,etc...Lots of Soft Synths.I do not own an Akai. I am not sure why?

Postby TheKeytarist » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:14 pm

I would give my vote to the korg m3 w/ radias expansion. Besides having the awesome sampled sounds, you would have a v.a. synth. The korg radias is pretty sweet, and when that's paired with the m3... well, awesome things are going to happen.(not to mention that Korg has pretty much spear headed that workstation industry for 30 years or so,)
"A learned blockhead is a greater blockhead than an ignorant one."
— Benjamin Franklin

:keys1: :drums: :keys2:
TheKeytarist

Postby the_noodlemeister » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:53 pm

it's so difficult to decide!! now, having seen / heard clips of what the m3 = radias i'm kind of leaning towards that. I think i'll do more research on all 3. thanks again, you guys, for giving me some valuable 'pointers' :)
the_noodlemeister

Return to Synth Shootouts