Korg MicroKorg/XL or Korg DW 6000

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Korg MicroKorg/XL or Korg DW 6000

Postby Kurbis » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:06 am

Hi, I've gotten really into synths lately and a few months ago I bought my first "real" synth. A Moog Rogue. But now I'm in the market for something else.

I've been interested in the MicroKorg for a while and XL looks really nice too. Since the XL has the capabilities to have every patch for the original plus the MS2000 I'm leaning more towards the XL. But does the original MicroKorg have any advantages over the XL. Is it more powerful/does it sound better?

There's also a Korg DW 6000 in a shop nearby that I'm considering picking up. It was recently serviced and seems to be working perfectly. Are these recommended? I'm a little bit interested since they have the digital/analog hybrid thing going on.

Thanks, any help is appreciated.
Last edited by Kurbis on Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kurbis

Advertisement:

Re: Korg MicroKorg/XL or Korg DW 8000

Postby Stab Frenzy » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:27 am

Get the Korg R3. Just like the Microkorgs but with a better keyboard and better interface.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Re: Korg MicroKorg/XL or Korg DW 8000

Postby Silverfish » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:22 am

I've got both a DW-8000 and an MS2000R (the rack version), and I've messed about with the microkorgs. Here are my thoughts:

The MS2000 is a nice virtual analog with lots of potential. It sounds a bit thin, but the mod sequencers and the physical knobs make it a keeper.

The Microkorgs have the same engine as the MS2000, but sound a bit thicker. Hotter output, I believe. The keys are the weak point here. Those micro keys drive me up a wall. I don't know if there are many differences between the original and the XL, but ultimately I like the original better. The XL feels like plastic crap. Oh, and it has USB (software editor is nice).

The DW-8000 is a great 80s synth. Yes, it has digital waveforms (which are included with all of the previously mentioned synths), but the analog filters make all the difference. It's capable or some really great sounds. It's weakness is the interface. You get ONE slider, a two-digit display, and a bunch of buttons to control parameters. If you've got a box like a BCR or a software editor (check the ctrlr project), then maybe it's not so bad.

I hope this helps!
Silverfish

Band: Silverfish

Re: Korg MicroKorg/XL or Korg DW 6000

Postby Kurbis » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:48 am

Thanks for the feedback. I'm sorry but I was mistaken. It was a DW 6000 in the shop, not an 8000. Any experience with them?

Also, the fact that the Microkorgs have small keys doesn't bother me. I have small hands. I also have a MicroKontrol.
Kurbis

Return to Synth Shootouts