Specs on Korg Triton keyboard vs. rack

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Specs on Korg Triton keyboard vs. rack

Postby thefonz003 » Wed May 04, 2011 3:00 am

I'm looking for a second synth to join my Yamaha SY77, and I'm looking for a sampler (bonus points if it can read .WAV) and an arpeggiator, and a vocoder too. I know that a Korg Triton keyboard has the first two options; I was wondering if the rack had them too.
thefonz003

Gear: Yamaha SY77
Korg DSS-1
E-mu Mo'Phatt
Electrix Warp Factory

Advertisement:

Re: Specs on Korg Triton keyboard vs. rack

Postby Hugo76 » Wed May 04, 2011 1:38 pm

Yes, it does. The rack has more installable sample memory as well, if I'm not mistaken. I would try to find one with the MOSS board installed.
Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby Ashe37 » Wed May 04, 2011 2:23 pm

MOSS board installed means $400 extra and they sell for $500+ seperately. Good luck on that.
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, Bass Station II
Band: Eridani V

Postby thefonz003 » Thu May 05, 2011 4:33 am

Hugo76 wrote:Yes, it does. The rack has more installable sample memory as well, if I'm not mistaken. I would try to find one with the MOSS board installed.

So the rack has a sampler that can read .WAV, and an arp? That's awesome. I'm not terribly worried about sample memory as long as it's not full. I just wasn't sure about the specs because I had been informed that the Yamaha Motif rack does not have a sampling option.

Thanks!
thefonz003

Korg DSS-1
E-mu Mo'Phatt
Electrix Warp Factory

Postby balma » Thu May 05, 2011 5:14 am

Have you considered other options instead the Triton or do you want the Korg very badly?

I would better go for a Motif, or even a Roland Fantom, or a Kurzweil K2500 rack.

I had a Triton, (but it was one of the first versions, so maybe I could be wrong) and I found it quite limited as a sampling workstation, compared with the Motif and the Fantom (also owned and sold them).
"If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies you won´t find another"
Carl Sagan

https://soundcloud.com/balma
balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Postby ninja6485 » Thu May 05, 2011 6:02 am

how's the sy77?
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, esi4k,M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Postby Hugo76 » Fri May 06, 2011 12:49 am

thefonz003;
What kind of music are you into? That may be something to bear in mind when choosing a synth like this. Mind you, the Triton is definately a capable machine at many styles.

I used to have a Triton rack, and although I didn't get to use it that much, I found it a great machine.
Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby thefonz003 » Fri May 06, 2011 2:46 am

ninja6485 wrote:how's the sy77?

It's lovely and versatile...but it doesn't have a sampler or an arp, plus I feel like the samples on the Triton would be somewhat better quality. Ultimately, whatever I get next will be a complement to the SY77, not a replacement.
thefonz003

Korg DSS-1
E-mu Mo'Phatt
Electrix Warp Factory

Postby thefonz003 » Fri May 06, 2011 2:50 am

[quote="balma"]Have you considered other options instead the Triton or do you want the Korg very badly?

I would better go for a Motif, or even a Roland Fantom, or a Kurzweil K2500 rack. [quote]

Well, I can't afford a Motif keyboard, and the rackmount doesn't have a sampler from what I've been told. The K2500 rack may be a decent option. I'd like something that can read .WAV, though, because the entire Motif ES and XS sound libraries are available in that format. I definitely want Yamaha's "Sweetness" patch---the phased electric piano is, indeed, sweet. As for the Fantom, I again can't afford the keyboard version. Does the rackmount have the sampler and arp? Does the K2500 have an arp? I'm on a pretty tight budget at the moment (college student).
thefonz003

Korg DSS-1
E-mu Mo'Phatt
Electrix Warp Factory

Postby thefonz003 » Fri May 06, 2011 2:53 am

Hugo76 wrote:thefonz003;
What kind of music are you into? That may be something to bear in mind when choosing a synth like this. Mind you, the Triton is definately a capable machine at many styles.

I used to have a Triton rack, and although I didn't get to use it that much, I found it a great machine.

Well, pop, in the broadest sense possible. I listen to just about everything---classic 1960s pop and rock; New Wave; pre-rock stuff (e.g., Tin Pan Alley, Sinatra); jazz; folk; some country; arena rock such as Journey; a little bit of electro; and numerous other styles---and everything affects my writing in some way. So my music can take many directions. So far I've only done oldies covers with my SY77 but that should change a bit now that I'm (kind of) in a band.
thefonz003

Korg DSS-1
E-mu Mo'Phatt
Electrix Warp Factory

Postby thefonz003 » Sun May 08, 2011 9:42 pm

How hard do you think it would be to find a power supply for a Triton rack? There's one for a pretty good deal and most likely functional, but it comes without the power cord.
thefonz003

Korg DSS-1
E-mu Mo'Phatt
Electrix Warp Factory

Postby Hugo76 » Mon May 09, 2011 1:38 pm

Power supply should be easy, shouldn't it...?
Regarding music and style I think the Triton will have you well covered, but you probably would want to check out the demos.
Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Return to General Synthesizers