Korg DW8000 (shoegaze/dream pop/space rock)

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Korg DW8000 (shoegaze/dream pop/space rock)

Postby acjaz » Sun May 08, 2011 5:23 pm

Hey all,

I mainly play guitar, and have never owned a synth. I had been using a MIDI controller and soft synths for a while, but it's now time to upgrade. I play primarily shoegaze, dream pop, and space rock. So, mostly shimmery, ethereal, and sometimes pretty heavy stuff.

I had been looking at the Alesis Micron, which a lot of shoegazers seem to like, but it's hard to find a bargain on one of those, I'd like something a little bigger if I can afford it. I've gotten a few recommendations like the Ensoniq ESQ-1, Kurzweil K2000, Yamaha AN1X, etc., but I'm on a really tight budget at the moment. I originally thought I could spend about $300, but $250 is probably more realistic.

On my local craigslist, someone listed a Korg DW8000 for $175. Obviously, this is a great deal, and I'll probably jump on it if he gets back to me. The question is, will this synth suit my needs? I've got plenty of effects pedals to work with, so I'm not too concerned with onboard effects.
acjaz

Advertisement:

Re: Korg DW8000 (shoegaze/dream pop/space rock)

Postby tallowwaters » Sun May 08, 2011 7:03 pm

The onboard delay of the DW is one of its nicest features.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.
tallowwaters

Gear: synesthesia, venereal disease, obsessive compulsive disorder, manic depressive disorder, and sensitive skin.

Postby Z » Sun May 08, 2011 8:37 pm

$175 for a DW-8000 is a great deal. I'm sure the DW would be ideal for what you're looking for. Other than it's lack of real-time editing, the sounds are great, giving you the best of both worlds: simple "analog synth" waveforms along with complex digital waves and a great sounding analog filter. And as Tallow mentioned, the onboard delay is a nice feature. Combine that with the MIDI sync-able arpeggiator and you'll lose track of time in no time at all.

And if you don't like it, you can flip it for an easy $250.
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby rschnier » Mon May 09, 2011 1:50 am

Play it if you can, before closing the deal. The keyboard contacts on the DW are notorious for going flaky. It can be fixed (a few people have posted w/ the procedure -- it basically involves using conductive paint-on stuff to renew the membrane switches), but at least you'd know what you're getting into before you buy.
-- R.
rschnier
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Return to Buyer's Guide