Patch editor for BOSS VF-1 now available!

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.

Re: Patch editor for BOSS VF-1 now available!

Postby Ry-Fi » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:43 am

New version up: 0.8.2. New feature: Ability to Load and Save standard VF-1 patch SysEx files! 8-)

http://www.auralnebula.net/VF-1%20Editor/
Ry-Fi
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Ion, MKS-30, MKS-50, SQ-1+ 32-voice, TX81Z

Advertisement:

Postby Ry-Fi » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:35 pm

New version v.0.9.0 is up, sporting some new features!

- Built-in LFO generator for parameter modulation via the VF-1's controller assignments
- Support for editing the VF-1's Global settings

Available here: http://www.auralnebula.net/VF-1 Editor/
Ry-Fi
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Ry-Fi » Sat May 14, 2011 7:08 am

Dig it! v.0.9.2 is up, sporting a bunch of fixes and enhancements. 8-)

You know where to go: http://www.auralnebula.net/VF-1 Editor/
Ry-Fi
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Ry-Fi » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:54 am

The Big One!

v.0.10.0 is rockin' out, and sporting fancy new, hella-awesome user patch bank librarian functionality!

Don't get left behind while all the cool kids are getting it - grab it now! http://www.auralnebula.net/VF-1 Editor/

8-)
Last edited by Ry-Fi on Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ry-Fi
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby THEODICY » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:31 am

Just bought a VF-1.. I hope it's as good as people hail it to be. How do the quality of effects compare to the DP/4? I mainly bought it for the VT-1 algorithms for live use. The editor looks SICK! Can't wait to try it out tomorrow.
THEODICY

Postby Ry-Fi » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:27 am

Hell if I know - who has time for using this thing when I spend every available hour writing a frickin' patch editor for it?? :lol:

In seriousness, I'm not a very good musician and I've hardly put it through its paces compared to a lot of more qualified people. But, my quick opinion (and possibly the general consensus) is that the modulation effects are great, the amp/distortion sims are weak, and the reverbs are so-so.

My only Ensoniq experience is with the limited effects in my SQ-1, which I believe are the same lineage as the DP/4 but a tiny subset, and my opinion is that the reverbs and chorus/flanger are really nice and lush, a bit reserved, quite professional sounding. I get the feeling Ensoniq effects are more about quality, while the VF-1 embodies the general vibe about BOSS: great <---> crappy and everything in between. The VF-1 has a rawer, less organic sound to it, but way more potential for pushing things into crazy territory. And the quality of some of the effects just might surprise you!

Again, I don't think anyone's using the VF-1 as a "high quality studio effects unit", especially with all the DSP evolution that's happened in the last decade (hardware, plug-ins), and I think there's some crazy good stuff out there for all kinds of budgets. But, as a tool in a musician's rig, for bass/guitar/keys/whatever, I think it packs a ton of wallop in a little unit that you can get for ~$175. I'll shut up now.

Oh, and thanks for the compliment! Making it look the way it does has been one of my favorite things about making the editor.
Ry-Fi
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Ry-Fi » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:59 am

Hey VF-1 Editor fans! I just thought I'd make a point of mentioning the latest version (which I don't always do), because I (finally!) added a nifty randomization feature. I think you'll REALLY dig it. :D

It's pretty insane, and can lead to tons of time messing around with wacky and inspiring tones. Sure, they're not all winners and sometimes there's just way too much modulation/distortion/feedback/etc. going on, but such is the nature of the almighty random button. (I've constrained some of the values in a few obvious places, but you more or less need to leave things to go crazy, otherwise you won't stumble across the truly magical combinations).

PLEASE be careful with the volume - sometimes a randomized patch can be pretty loud. Always protect those valuable ears.

Take a look at the changelog to see a few other things that were added/fixed.

http://www.auralnebula.net/VF-1 Editor/

Peace!

Ryan
(Ry-Fi)
Ry-Fi
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby pricklyrobot » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:28 pm

I just downloaded the new version. Look forward to having a chance to try it out tonight.

Nice to see you keeping up the good work, man. :thumbright:

And I bought a second VF-1 a little while back, so it's doubly cool.
Nord Mod G1 -- Arturia MiniBrute -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Roland V-Synth, JV-1080 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop -- 8 modules (and counting) o' Eurocrack
pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby Ry-Fi » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:29 am

Thanks, man! But with this last update I think it's pretty much done now. I really can't think of any other features that it should have as it already does pretty much everything. The only things left on the VF-1 that it doesn't support are the User Scale and PC Map, but I guarantee NOBODY would care if I added those and it'd just be a big waste of time...

I absolutely love the fact that you got a 2nd one! Awesome. :headbang:
Ry-Fi
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Ry-Fi » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:57 am

Prickly, I just randomly decided to listen to your tunes, and I gotta say, Floeten is deadly! Way to go. :thumbleft:
Ry-Fi
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby pricklyrobot » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:52 am

Ry-Fi wrote:Prickly, I just randomly decided to listen to your tunes, and I gotta say, Floeten is deadly! Way to go. :thumbleft:
Thanks man. Those tracks are wayyyy old. I need to get some new ones up, which means I probably ought to finish some. ;)
Nord Mod G1 -- Arturia MiniBrute -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Roland V-Synth, JV-1080 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop -- 8 modules (and counting) o' Eurocrack
pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby THEODICY » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:02 am

Can anyone make a demo of this unit? There aren't any on the web from what Ive found but there REALLY should be!
THEODICY

Postby Ry-Fi » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:41 am

This guy puts it to really good use, but only a couple of the algorithms. He really makes the Lo-Fi Processor and Guitar Multi w/guitar synth effect sound great. http://cgraham.com/chris/music/bass/vf-1/
Ry-Fi
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Ry-Fi » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:50 am

Crap! The latest release v.0.10.2 is BROKEN! I'm terribly sorry about that, guys! Please go grab the newest v.0.10.3 that fixes the problems that I inadvertently created with the previous one. :oops:
Ry-Fi
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Previous

Return to Sound Production