Ensoniq Halo for $125 get it?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Ensoniq Halo for $125 get it?

Postby goober » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:30 pm

I don't know much about the synth if you could you really call it that, besides from what I've read on the VSE synth review page. Is it worth getting at this price? I currently don't have a "ROMpler" just an alesis micron.
goober

Advertisement:

Re: Ensoniq Halo for $125 get it?

Postby gordwiebe » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:47 pm

Try it out - that's a good price.
It's basically an e-mu proteus 2000 put out by ensoniq - so, it accepts all of the e-mu expansion ROMS (4 slots) and has a nice synth engine inside that, with a little work, can get some good results.
It is a little dated as far as quality of samples goes - but, hey - $125! THe xl1 expansion would run you about $75 more - it gives a good electronic soundset and some good drum samples.

Also, the proteus keyboards are nice to play (good keys, good aftertouch) - better than most dedicated midi controllers out there these days.

Watch out for the main rotary dial - these are known to go bad (skip values/jumpy).
And, make sure it has the sound ROM installed!
gordwiebe

Gear: motif ES rack +cards, alesis fusion, E-MU PX7 + cards, siel MONO

Postby balma » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:10 am

For 125 is a great price. The semi weighted keys are good quality. It could be a great keyboard MIDI controller

But thiswa literally the last synth from Emu, and all these proteus keyboards, are assembled in China. The ROMS are placed very near to the metallic base, and the cover and lateral panels are cheap plastic. The heavy metal base, attached to a weak plastic frame. This terrible design, makes these keyboards too weak for constant transportation. It's not a robust synth.

Mine died after a few months of use, but I used it for travelling, so maybe it was an exception.

The ROM inside is the QROM. It has very good PIANO sounds, and a lot of waveforms that are simple fantastic. BUt the rest of the sounds, and most of all the presets, are really cheesy, close to General Midi sounds
"If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies you won´t find another"
Carl Sagan

https://soundcloud.com/balma
balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Postby Ashe37 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:17 am

Heck I'd grab it for $125....
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, Bass Station II
Band: Eridani V

Postby awol9000 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:19 pm

gordwiebe wrote: THe xl1 expansion would run you about $75 more - it gives a good electronic soundset and some good drum samples.

you can grab one here for $50 - http://www.eprelectronics.com/store/E-m ... -ROMS-c49/
awol9000

Return to Buyer's Guide