SCSI CD ROM drive for Emu ESi32 help

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

SCSI CD ROM drive for Emu ESi32 help

Postby RichShan » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:49 pm

Hello there,

Hope you're all well.

Just wondering if someone can help me with a (self-inflicted) problem.

I just bought off eBay a SCSI CD ROM drive to use with my trusty old Emu ESi32. But (like a tit) I forgot to make sure it was an external drive. Of course when it arrived it was an internal one.

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy some kind of adaptor which will allow me to make the relevant power and SCSI connections. Is there any such thing? Am I dreaming? Should I just write it off as a loss and buy another one, this time checking carefully that I have bought and external drive?

Thanks for any pointers.

Cheers,

Rich
RichShan

Gear: Yamaha SY85, Roland JX3p, Novation Supernova II keys, Roland MKS70, Roland JV1080, Emu ESi-32, G5 & logic

Advertisement:

Re: SCSI CD ROM drive for Emu ESi32 help

Postby Fatbenelton » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:33 pm

Hi - You used to be able to buy caddy's to enable you to use these externally. Not sure how easy they will be to get hold of but they are out there. If you do decide to ditch it and buy an external drive be aware that not just any old drive will do. Samplers can be quite picky about compatibility and EMU is no exception. I found Yamaha drives to be no good whatsoever with EMU but had great success with Apple External drives - look out for CD300e and CD600e which work a treat.......
Jonny Jones
Fatbenelton
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Roland JX10, Kawai SX210, Moog Source, SH101,Yamaha SY35, EMU Orbit 3, Korg M500, V-Synth XT, Yamaha EX5, Yamaha RS7000, Logic X, Cubase 7.5

Postby madtheory » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:33 pm

The enclosure serves as the "adaptor". Best to just buy one on ebay, with or without the drive. Maybe buy a caddy type (generally cheaper because they're old and annoying to use) and replace with the drive you have?

There's a few Apple ones there now, as mentioned they always work with Emu.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Buck Owens Moog, Korg Warlock 9000, Roland Sultan of Brunei, Moog Ribald Cat.
Band: madtheory

Postby Fatbenelton » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:43 pm

Jonny Jones
Fatbenelton
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Roland JX10, Kawai SX210, Moog Source, SH101,Yamaha SY35, EMU Orbit 3, Korg M500, V-Synth XT, Yamaha EX5, Yamaha RS7000, Logic X, Cubase 7.5

Postby RichShan » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:17 pm

Fatbenelton wrote:Hi - You used to be able to buy caddy's to enable you to use these externally. Not sure how easy they will be to get hold of but they are out there. If you do decide to ditch it and buy an external drive be aware that not just any old drive will do. Samplers can be quite picky about compatibility and EMU is no exception. I found Yamaha drives to be no good whatsoever with EMU but had great success with Apple External drives - look out for CD300e and CD600e which work a treat.......

Ah yes, thank you for that... I think the quickest, if not necessarily the cheapest, option would be to buy an Apple CD ROM as you mentioned.

Thanks for the input.

Cheers,

Rich.
RichShan

Gear: Yamaha SY85, Roland JX3p, Novation Supernova II keys, Roland MKS70, Roland JV1080, Emu ESi-32, G5 & logic

Return to Samplers