roland d110 problems!

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

roland d110 problems!

Postby intrancewetrust » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:08 pm

having some problems with the d110 i bought. several sample banks dont play any sounds! when in patch mode only about 1/4 of the banks seem to produce any sound? i think this might mean the battery needs replacing?

also... when i find a patch that does play notes, sometimes it will just stop playing notes for a random time and then start again. like pressing the keys is... note...note..silence...silence...silence...note...note...note...note...silence
also... the release on the notes is all screwed up. sometimes it will play the full release when i hold down the key, but most of the time it just cuts it short? using the pitch wheel either very high or very low will also cut the release off. also very annoying since i wanted this for long eerie morphing sounds. im not sure if its the midi controller keyboard (which is very cheap, old and probably on its way out)... or the midi connection... or a problem with the unit.

i think i need to replace the battery and try a better controller... or maybe my midi cable is crap? but im worried there might be some kind of issue with the actual synth itself.
intrancewetrust

Gear: sausage fingers and a bad hat

Advertisement:

Re: roland d110 problems!

Postby rhino » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:00 am

Welcome to our madness !

1) you need a controller that supports "running status" over MIDI. Early Rolands like the D110 need to 'hear' running status data to know that the MIDI connection is still working. If they don't hear it, they shut down all sounds. Had this very some problem trying to use a D110 with an M-Audio 49e controller. Switched to another controller (a vintage Casio az-1) and it worked fine.
2) battery or cable should not do this.
3) are you sure that the previous owner of the D110 has not made patches that use different MIDI channels? Maybe they were using a sequencer to play several parts at once - this WAS a big selling-point of the D110.
"A thing may seem impossible...until it's done."
--Nelson Mandela
rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Postby intrancewetrust » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:43 am

madness is right :shock: sound is a real brain bender when you actually stop and take a look at it!

i am bidding on a jv-90 to use as a midi controller, so hopefully that will do the trick?

the guy said he had never used, he bought it secondhand from someone shutting down a studio, and then never got around to using it. so yeah what your saying makes alot of sense, if it came from a studio! how do ... make it normal again? heh

thanks for the info :) feels bad to think you bought a faulty unit when it was described as 'pristine'
intrancewetrust

Postby rhino » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:56 pm

Sold my D-110 and manual long ago. so I can't be much help here: You can either find the factory sysex on the web and reload it via computer, or go thru the patches one-by-one and set the MIDI recieve channel to whatever you are using on your controller.
--Nelson Mandela
rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Postby intrancewetrust » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:08 pm

this might sound like a stupid question, but i dont understand these computer editors/sysex things?? im thinking you will need a sound card with some sort of midi output or something??? can you put one together with an old pc and the right soundcard??
intrancewetrust

Postby rhino » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:42 pm

Cheapest way to go is a USB-MIDI adaptor like the M-Audio UNO.
--Nelson Mandela
rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Postby intrancewetrust » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:36 pm

ok ill look into that... thanks alot for the help !!!

intrancewetrust

Postby cryabetes » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:23 pm

Necrobump

So i'm trying to get my D110 working with my PCR500; note data, pitchbend/mod and sustain are all working but I'm having issues getting the sliders/knobs/assignable controls to do uh... anything.

I talked it over with my friend who is more used to working in assignable midi type environs and and he dug up a thread that said that while the D110 uses roland exclusive parameters, that there is support for the Edirol line control these. And that's it. That's all I could find on it.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I just wanna control some cutoff points, some resonance.
cryabetes

Gear: Electribe Army: EA-1mkII, ER-1mkII, EM-1, ESX-1
Band: Cody P & Sammy B

Return to HELP!