Should I buy a Moog Source for $800?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Should I buy a Moog Source for $800?

Postby Bugsy Moogs » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:26 am

I have the opportunity to buy a moog source for $800

It seems to function well.

Cosmetically the membrane pad is peeling off in the corner, but the switches appear to work. The Wood could use refinishing, and the metal has streaks all over it (I dont know if that's how its supposed to look after 30 years).

Eitherway its a lovely sounding synth.

What do you think?
Bugsy Moogs

Gear: Pro-One, Juno-6/106, Sh-2, Sh-09, MG-1, Source, Rogue, Minitaur, JV-1080, CZ-101, Bass Station Rack, TR-707, DR-55, Monotron, S1100, S900

Advertisement:

Re: Should I buy a Moog Source for $800?

Postby Ned Bouhalassa » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:42 am

Do it fast. I bought one for almost double that last month! I REALLY LOVE IT - bass, man, super bass.
My music: soundcloud
My analog synth videos: nedonanalog
More about me: youshootiscore
Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: 1 Japanese, a young German, an old Brit and 2 fat Americans.

Postby Bugsy Moogs » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:42 am

Thanks for the reply!

The Source did have incredible low end when I got to play it, and its quirkiness does make it a prime candidate for price inflation.

Well damn, It sounds like $900 would be a good deal! I guess its a no brainer
Bugsy Moogs

Gear: Pro-One, Juno-6/106, Sh-2, Sh-09, MG-1, Source, Rogue, Minitaur, JV-1080, CZ-101, Bass Station Rack, TR-707, DR-55, Monotron, S1100, S900

Postby perfectdefect » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:17 am

I bought one that is like new last month for $1100. While it should be all about the sound, at the end of the day if you decide you should turn it into something else, the cosmetics matter more than they should. That said -yes, superb bass among other superb things.
perfectdefect

Gear: MPC1000 2823 2471 2475 Kingston SX210 MS20 PE1000P Poly61 EPS1 203A 341A 2090 OBXa JP4 JP6 JU6 JU106 MSQ100 TR66 VP330 P5 P600 400 200A CS50 DX7 YC30
Band: infinite now

Postby pricklyrobot » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:18 pm

perfectdefect wrote:superb bass among other superb things.
Yep, it also has the greatest knob in the world. ;) There's only the one, but it's giant and eminently spinable.

I had a Source a few years ago. I only sold it because I needed money for school, and it was the most valuable thing I had. Still miss it though. That synth was just one big sweet spot (the only problem was trying to get to fit into a mix with other stuff).

FYI, the seller chipforbrains (aka Technology Transplant) sells newly-manufactured replacement Source membrane panels on Ebay for $100. I installed one (super easy, no soldering involved) on mine after the original crapped out. I used it for at least a year, before I ended up selling the synth, and it worked great.
Nord Mod G1 -- Arturia MiniBrute -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Roland V-Synth, JV-1080 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop -- 8 modules (and counting) o' Eurocrack
pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby redchapterjubilee » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:53 pm

Yes! Buy it, savor it, baby it, love it. I gigged with mine for several years and, sadly, developed the Crazy Source Syndrome. Once we got that problem fixed it never sounded exactly the same. So I let it go, sadly. The best monosynth I've ever owned.
http://www.soundcloud.com/kellyminnis
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS
redchapterjubilee

Postby rhino » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:49 pm

You just missed one oneBay for $677
"A thing may seem impossible...until it's done."
--Nelson Mandela
rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Postby bochelli » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:22 pm

that one on ebay $677 was a steal you have to act fast thesedays, a friend won it on my behalf. I have owned 5 over the years and always sold on, im never doing that ever again ive learnt my lesson buy it man and replace that membrane buy it now or it will go .
yamoto773
bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: minimoog polymoog memorymoog multimoog micromoog minitmoog and tons more.

Postby Sir Ruff » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:36 pm

bochelli wrote:that one on ebay $677 was a steal you have to act fast thesedays, a friend won it on my behalf. I have owned 5 over the years and always sold on, im never doing that ever again ive learnt my lesson buy it man and replace that membrane buy it now or it will go .

How was that one a steal? It sounds pretty messed up! :?
Do you even post on vse bro?
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Postby bochelli » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:14 pm

its no secret ebay is going downhill, the photo upload system is rubbish now, they compress badly, it looked a camera phone gallery on the listing, that wood needs to be glued back on under the keys is that a big deal and its got nothing to do with playing anyway, i still have a non copy user manual for a source i believe the presets or patches are in the back with values, ive loaded all in before nothing hard there,it was described worse than it looked it puts bidders off, i cant speak for the USA but here in England folks are on the verge of a heart attack missing out on gear, ive come to the view now its i want one now i dont care about cosmetics i want one now, lets hope this want virus gets to your shores, my 1st source i paid £200 boxed perfect in 1986, a year later i sold it for £50, those days have gone history now, hope that answers your query!
yamoto773
bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Sir Ruff » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:40 pm

Not sure I follow you. From the description it definitely sounds like there are some technical issues with the Source. And I'm not sure ebay has gone downhill - people are willing to settle for crappy pics and unqualified "testing" most of the time, so why would sellers bother doing anything more? I suppose if they are pricy in the UK, this may still be a good deal, but after shipping and repair, it may not. It's been my experience that the worse the description is, the more people bid, and in all likelihood, the more issues there are bound to be.
Do you even post on vse bro?
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Postby bochelli » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:59 pm

any repairs on the source i will pay £0.00, a friend in UK will sort that the shipping will cost me very little a snip.
yamoto773
bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Return to Buyer's Guide