DSI Evolver vs. Ensoniq Fizmo

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

DSI Evolver vs. Ensoniq Fizmo

Postby DLovas » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:45 pm

I've got like 1000$ and evolvers are all over the place for around 700 and a Fizmo is rare and like 1000. Which should I go for?
Hardware: Ensoniq Fizmo | Roland JP-8000
Software: FL Studio | Zebra2 | Sylenth1
DLovas
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: RED MIDI Cables
BLUE MIDI Cables
Band: RingGalaxy

Advertisement:

Re: DSI Evolver vs. Ensoniq Fizmo

Postby ninja6485 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:43 pm

fizmo
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, esi4k,M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Postby DLovas » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:27 am

ninja6485 wrote:fizmo

Yea that's what I was thinking - just wanted another perspective. Thanks
DLovas
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

BLUE MIDI Cables

Postby GuyaGuy » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:33 am

Well that was easy
GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Gear: YES PLEASE!

Postby DLovas » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:38 am

GuyaGuy wrote:Well that was easy

we just need one of those "staples" buttons u kno what i mean?

i was leaning heavily towards the fiz, i just wanted to see if someone would vouch for the DSI in its place - but i think either way, the rarity of the fiz would've won me over.
DLovas
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

BLUE MIDI Cables

Postby Scories » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:05 am

The Waldorf Microwave XT might have been an other option. But the Fizmo must be more unique I guess.
Scories

Gear: Micromoog, JX-3P, Minikorg 700, Z1

Postby Stab Frenzy » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:10 am

DLovas wrote:

i was leaning heavily towards the fiz, i just wanted to see if someone would vouch for the DSI in its place - but i think either way, the rarity of the fiz would've won me over.

I think the Evolver is amazing, but I haven't ever used a Fizmo so I can't really offer a comparison. I know Tallow has owned both, not sure if anyone else has.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby DLovas » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:20 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
DLovas wrote:

I think the Evolver is amazing, but I haven't ever used a Fizmo so I can't really offer a comparison. I know Tallow has owned both, not sure if anyone else has.

I still plan to get an evolver at some point - although i truly desired a poly evolver so that i could layer the four voices on top of each other for some mean sounds, but it would take me a while to afford the poly and i figured instead of the desktop module - i could spend an extra 300 for the fiz which i've had my eye on since i read the review here, not to mention it took forever for this one to pop up on ebay.
DLovas
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

BLUE MIDI Cables

Postby Stab Frenzy » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:35 am

Fair enough. I've seen a few MEKs going for around $700 lately, that's crazy cheap.

For about a week I owned an MEK and a DEvo so could play them duophonically, it sounded amazingly massive. Too massive for the patches I'd already programmed, I had to get in there with the HPF and toning down the detuning to make them fit in a mix. I'd still like to add a PER one day though...
Stab Frenzy

Postby tallowwaters » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:24 pm

They compliment each other quite nicely if you still plan on getting both (since you obviously have the Fizmo). The Evolver will cut through the dense/fuzzy/gauzy Fizmo sounds quite nicely, but still has enough digital zing to blend together.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.
tallowwaters

Gear: synesthesia, venereal disease, obsessive compulsive disorder, manic depressive disorder, and sensitive skin.

Postby samuraipizzacat29 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:20 pm

The problem I have after spending way too much time with my evolver(s -I've had every breed at this point :) )

1) I guess I never noticed (or maybe it's not that way on the desktop) that the osc's pan to each side of the output. Therefore -> if you want heavy unison (as 2x2 analog/digital osc's would suggest) you need to run each side into its own mono input. Therefore, it's really only 1x1 unison unless you run two mono signals, and it's just kind of weird with the panning imho. I end up using the digital osc's as sub-oscs a significant amount of the time which kind of defeats the purpose. The analog osc's are far too thin and:
2) everything's digitally controlled - so it tends to sound rather cold as far as analogia goes. if it wasn't for that filter and analog VCA, I don't think anyone would be too excited over the osc section.

the pro's to keeping it around versus, well, anything else are the sequencers, the huge amounts of modulation flexibility and (as far as the mek or pek goes) the capabilities as a performance instrument. Performance controls route basically anywhere you'd want them to. Plus it DOES sound pretty dern good, I'm just being rather harsh above. I use the delays, feedback, and distortion far too much of the time.......
FWIW - I think I'm going to ditch mine in favor of the tetra as they're cheaper, and the tetra will do basically the sounds of what I use my evolver for (and better). As was already mentioned - I'd rather have a waldorf or something else in favor of the wavetables. I'm also attempting to build a modular, so the evolver just doesn't seem to fit anywhere anymore. I'm not 100% sure I'm selling the MEK yet - it just seems as if I'm better investing elsewhere atm. I also think the market can't continue to sustain $850 for that synth. just saying.

Contrarily: I will always own at least one fizmo. there's nothing like it and you realize it again every time you turn it on. It's hard to quantify. It just sounds good. It's also very capable as far as performance synths go as well, with tons of knobs right in front of you. Don't forget the much under-appreciated audio input and effects section. $1k is too much for one (imho). If you wait, and scour the old inter-web you'll find one for $5-700 and you'll appreciate it more if you pay the price you should instead of the inflated "how else can I find one if not for ebay" price :)

(I feel like I need to edit that a bit more, but I have other stuff to do now so -> submit)
samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Richard Gear » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:09 am

I would love to get a Fizmo-rack. Otherwise, there's no room for that big purple thing on my appartment.
Richard Gear

Postby Stab Frenzy » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:12 am

samuraipizzacat29 wrote:The problem I have after spending way too much time with my evolver(s -I've had every breed at this point :) )

1) I guess I never noticed (or maybe it's not that way on the desktop) that the osc's pan to each side of the output. Therefore -> if you want heavy unison (as 2x2 analog/digital osc's would suggest) you need to run each side into its own mono input. Therefore, it's really only 1x1 unison unless you run two mono signals, and it's just kind of weird with the panning imho. I end up using the digital osc's as sub-oscs a significant amount of the time which kind of defeats the purpose. The analog osc's are far too thin and:
2) everything's digitally controlled - so it tends to sound rather cold as far as analogia goes. if it wasn't for that filter and analog VCA, I don't think anyone would be too excited over the osc section.

Haven't RTFM I guess? :D Turn the output pan knob in the VCA section to sum the oscs to mono or even flip them so the output of the left channel feeds back to the input of the right for delay, feedback etc. There are a whole lot of cool sounds you can get from this.

The osc section is pretty cool actually, you can FM and AM the same oscs at the same time, sequence the digital waveforms and a whole lot of other stuff. If you're just using the digital oscs as sub-oscs you're totally missing the point of having an Evolver, you should sell it and buy a Mopho instead.
Stab Frenzy

Postby samuraipizzacat29 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:32 am

Yes, yes get your jabs :) I knew I had to be missing something for me to have found a flaw mr smith hadn't already thought of. I think I was so frustrated when I realized the problem, I didn't bother to dig too much deeper when the solution wasn't immediately apparent. :doh:

I'll have to fiddle with sequencing digital waveforms as you suggest. I have been using mine for mostly gnarly mono synth bass, and yes a tetra is on the future purchase list. When I heard mopho comparatively for that purpose I realized the errors of my ways.

Depending exactly how the digital wave sequencing works (maybe u could weigh in again) I'd think you could get some pretty similar results to the fizmo transwaves.......no? Plus you can load your own wavetables....
samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Stab Frenzy » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:41 am

The Evolver wave sequencing isn't really like a wavetable because you can't morph through them with the envelope or anything, you need to have the sequencer running (it can be in the each note triggers a step mode so you don't have to be running from the sequencer, you can have the sequencer follow the keyboard) and it will select a new wave for each step. It's all in the manual. :thumbleft:
Stab Frenzy

Next

Return to Synth Shootouts