Oberheim Four Voice - Reasonable Price?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Oberheim Four Voice - Reasonable Price?

Postby samuraipizzacat29 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:25 pm

Hello -
I'm normally not a fan of "price check" posts, but I really need some help on this one. So, I've got a shot at an oberheim four voice locally. Or at least I did before the weekend, so we'll see what happens.
As far as condition, it needs a bit of tlc. Some keyboard bushings, a key levelling, it'll probably need tuned. I might want it recapped just because. The seller says there's definitely no battery leakage, but the battery needs replaced. So, I'm expecting having to reinvest some further cash in it.
The question is: how much should I pay? Or better said: how much would one of you guys legitimately pay if I wanted to sell this thing tomorrow? It seems like the numbers from shops are high (to be expected), but there's no ebay information (also to be expected) I can figure the selling price of the four sems, but is it basically just worth the sum of its parts, or +/- 20% more?
Besides the price point, i think i'm going to absolutely love the way it sounds and want to keep it a while. Therefore, I don't want to penalize my pursuit for other gear by paying too much for one piece :)
Advice always appreciated.
samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Advertisement:

Re: Oberheim Four Voice - Reasonable Price?

Postby Stab Frenzy » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:21 pm

Well the new four voice is gonna be $3.5k, and it won't need maintenance work for quite a few years. It also doesn't have a keyboard, and hasn't actually been released. :D

Personally the FVS isn't really my thing, so what I'd pay for one isn't going to what anyone would be willing to sell one for. I'd love a mono SEM but get my poly needs from elsewhere. I think an original FVS would be worth a bit more as a collector's kind of thing, but those guys would be more likely to go for a really clean model not one that needed work.

So after all that rambling, guessing that a good service will cost you around $1000, I'd say if it's $2.5k and you really want one then go for it, you should be able to get your money back then anyway. Probably would still be worth it for more.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby samuraipizzacat29 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:36 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:Personally the FVS isn't really my thing.....So after all that rambling, guessing that a good service will cost you around $1000, I'd say if it's $2.5k and you really want one then go for it, you should be able to get your money back then anyway. Probably would still be worth it for more.

Exactly what I wanted to hear and basically what my head was telling me. I figured repairs could cost me up to $1k depending (tho I have a friend that'll hook me up good - a good friend to have) So, given that i "think" one would go for between $4-5K on the often referenced auction site, I figure up to $3k would still be "a good deal".

1) why not your thing? (just for the sake of sonic evaluation)
2) do you know if the sems can be ripped out and sold separately? that'd give me a lot better of a feeling for guaranteed resale.

thanks a lot for the quick response. This video really sold me on it.
Watch on youtube.com
samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Z » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:44 pm

Tom Oberheim's new Son of 4 Voice will retail at $3500, so I would base your pricing around that. Typically, the vintage versions of things sell for a bit more but are going to require more maintenance.

EDIT: Looks like Stab said the same thing. That's what I get for wondering off to another site.
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby Stab Frenzy » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:23 pm

samuraipizzacat29 wrote:I figure up to $3k would still be "a good deal".

I wouldn't call it a good deal, but it probably wouldn't be a terrible deal. If you want to use it and play it though then resale value doesn't actually matter.
samuraipizzacat29 wrote:1) why not your thing? (just for the sake of sonic evaluation)

I like to tweak the patch while I play, and a FVS has pretty limited tweakablity while you're playing it polyphonically unless you don't mind (or like) the voices sounding different from one another. They sound very nice but I'd rather have something more practical as a polysynth; when I play a poly I tend to do more of my expression through the combination of notes I play rather than tweaking knobs anyway.

A TVS is very much my thing, with one voice going off the sequencer and one played with the keyboard. I patch up my modular to do that all the time.

That demo was a good example of what doesn't really do it for me in a polysynth; big fat messy polyphony. It sounds cool in a demo but if I was using it in a track I'd end up having to hack into it with EQ to be able to fit other instruments in around it. I'd rather have something thinner and even (gasp!) digital (although the Tetra is pretty cool) and then make it sound bigger with reverb and delay than have something that sounds massive to begin with and then cut all that massiveness out, that's just the way I like to work. :thumbleft:
samuraipizzacat29 wrote:2) do you know if the sems can be ripped out and sold separately? that'd give me a lot better of a feeling for guaranteed resale.

Yes, but now Tom Oberheim's making new ones for under $900 it's probably not going to be worth it to pull it apart. Parting out a synth that has a modern equivalent available is kind of sad too.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby samuraipizzacat29 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:15 pm

Thank you very much for the input. I've been jonesing for a huge sounding analog polysynth as the junos and polysixes of the world just don't do it for me. The polymoog I bought I haven't been able to put my hands on yet (that friend of mine that works for cheap, works for cheap because I don't make demands.... ) so idk if that'll cut it. I've also considered getting a big electone d-80, d-85, 415, but I have a feeling if I do that I'm going to want to mod the heck out of it and i'm not smart enough for that yet either. I think that'd really be the way to go, yet I don't really have space for that sort of thing without killing something else (lest I get killed by an angry familial cohort).....

Anyway, thanks for the info. You're basically just summing up what I thought dollar/value wise. moral of the story - just like anything else, i need to get it cheap enough to (near) eliminate risk if i need to sell it. ;)
samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby joshuag » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:21 am

I paid 3k for my FVS in 2007, to help provide some context.

:mrgreen:
joshua gabriel
joshuag

Return to Buyer's Guide