Korg dw6000 wont turn on....

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Korg dw6000 wont turn on....

Postby winnebago » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:15 pm

Just got a dw6000 I picked up off somebody, when I got home I plugged a power adapter in and turned it on, it came on and lighted up but ther was a loud hum, not audion hum, like an electrical hum, and then the unit powered off and now wont turn back on. The adapter itself I tried on another synth and it works fine.

Any help on what this could be would be great. Hope I can get it working soon.

Thanks
Joe
winnebago

Advertisement:

Re: Korg dw6000 wont turn on....

Postby rhino » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:35 pm

Welcome to the board.

You meant "power cord", right?

first thoughts:
1) regulator in the power supply shorted.
2) filter capacitor shorted
3) bad power transformer

keep us up on the progress
"A thing may seem impossible...until it's done."
--Nelson Mandela
rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Postby winnebago » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:10 pm

cheers for the reply. Its nothing to do with the power cord because ive tested it with other synths and they turn on fine. I opened the dw6000 up and checked it out, I noticed the small glass fuse 630 milliamp was blown so im guessing thats the problem. Gonna go get a new fuse tomorrow and hopefully that will be it sorted. I will let you know if everythings ok when I change the fuse.
winnebago

Postby rhino » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:07 pm

Sorry to say: If the synth made a loud buzzing noise then powered off, the blown fuse is most likely a symptom - not a cause. Watch that you don't smoke something - never bypass a fuse and never use a larger one.

EDIT: When you replace the fuse, before you power on, pull the plugs on the power supply (IIRC there are three).
Then turn on the power and watch the new fuse. If it blows very soon, trouble is in the PS. If it does not blow, turn power off and reconnect the largest plug (6 pins?) and try again. If this blows the fuse the problem is on the main board. Again with the large and middle plugs on: Fuse blows=problem in the voice board. Last time with all three plugs in. Failure=problem in the jack board.
--Nelson Mandela
rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Postby winnebago » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:38 pm

Ahh ok, well im not sure if this makes a difference or will be any help but i will just explain something...

When I got the synth home, I didnt like the look of the power cord I recieved with the synth so I used the one from my korg prophecy which was the exact same amp and voltage. But what i didnt check was the fuse in the plug, and itas only a 5amp fuse! It works for the prophecy but I wonder if this might be the reason it not working now.
winnebago

Postby rhino » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:08 am

You've lost me. The Prophecy has a 3-pin plug on the power cord. The DW6000 should have a 2-pin plug on the back unless it has been modified, If not, you should not have been able to jam the Prophecy cord into the DW6000 socket.
Where is this 5-amp fuse? In the cord itself? In any event 5 amps is more than enough to run the DW.
What kind of female socket does the old DW cord have? 2-pin? 3-pin?

Have you got a friend with some electronic knowlege you might call in?

EDIT EDIT EDIT
You're in the UK??

Is the DW a 117-volt unit?? Maybe the former owner was using a step-down transformer to run it?
--Nelson Mandela
rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Postby winnebago » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:42 am

the socket in the dw6000 is a 3 pin, exactly the same as the one on my prophecy, and the power cord I got with the dw6000 does have a rather large transformer on it, I believe it was from germany originally and they used this transformer to change the plug to english or something. I am going to ask the electrician at work today what he thinks it might be but I doubt he will know much about it. Also should maybe mention on the transformer it says..75 watt transformer for 3 prong power plug.
winnebago

Postby Pro5 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:56 am

winnebago wrote:the socket in the dw6000 is a 3 pin, exactly the same as the one on my prophecy, and the power cord I got with the dw6000 does have a rather large transformer on it, I believe it was from germany originally and they used this transformer to change the plug to english or something. I am going to ask the electrician at work today what he thinks it might be but I doubt he will know much about it. Also should maybe mention on the transformer it says..75 watt transformer for 3 prong power plug.

It's been converted to a 3 Pin then as Rhino states. My DW-8000 had the crappy two pin and I converted it to 3 pin. the main point is the transformer is inside the synth so there is no 'power adapter' as standard, just a power lead/cable either 2 pin or 3 pin, makes no difference to anything nor would cause a knackered synth in itself. It's just a different connector style.

The problem seems to be that your DW came with a step down transformer by the sounds of it? as it's got a non UK non 240v transformer inside the synth, it sounds like you didn't use the supplied 240v > 117/110/whatever transformer that came with it and instead plugged in a plain standard cable from synth to wall socket bypassing the supplied 'box of tricks'? If so there's your problem. Try the cable/transformer that came with it. It's there for a reason :)

Though you may have royally shagged your DW by now so Rhino's cables out test above is very handy advice.

If i read something wrong then feel free to correct but it does sound like that's what you've done esp given the 'hum then power off' problem.

If you do replace the fuse next time you try it USE the supplied cable/transformer - it's not an optional item in this case!! And see if it's still working. If not then you have probably caused damage inside the synth.

And for the record a plain 'kettle lead' has no inherent voltage/amp-age it's just plain wire from wall socket to synth, it's that chunky piece of metal that came with the synth that does all the clever work of making sure you don't turn your new synth into a novelty doorstop.
V-SYNTH | JX-3P | AN1x | JD-800 | POLYSIX x2 | PERFORMER
HAD: SH101/JUNO 1,2,6,60/MKS70,50/JX8P/D50,70/JV1080/AX80/SY77,85/DX7,IID,S,100 /TG77,500/TX802,81Z/MS2k/DW8000/PROPHECY/WAVESTATION/M1/KSRACK/CZ1
Pro5

Postby winnebago » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:49 pm

I'm writing this off my phone at work so forgive how bad it will be.

I've asked the electrician at work, he knows nothing about synths but everything about electrics, after I explained everything to him he said the fuse inside the synth will have blown because of using the wrong power cord, my stupid fault I know. And he said that a new fuse of exactly the same type and this time use the correct power supply, and that should work. Really hope that is the case, gonna get the fuse tonight so I should find out later on.
winnebago

Postby winnebago » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:07 pm

Just put the new fuse in around an hour ago, and its all going well, its powered on fine and everything is running nicely.

Thanks for all the help.
winnebago

Return to HELP!