Novation Xiosynth vs DSI Mopho

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Novation Xiosynth vs DSI Mopho

Postby ryryoftokyo » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:07 pm

Looking to add a 7th synth to my collection...

I'm going back and forth between a Xio and a mopho (without keyboard) primarily because they are cheap and from what I hear, strong synths. I already own a Korg Poly-61, Yamaha AN1x, Sequential Circuits Split 8, Korg X-5, Roland Alpha Juno 2, and a Roland JX8P. I'm a fan of big, aggressive sounding synths. I also really like the idea of having a second arpeggiator at my disposal. The analog v digital discussion between the two is a non point for me, as I just want a balance between a big sound, features, and low cost.

How do the two stack up with eachother?

Any alternatives would be nice too!
Moog Multimoog Korg MS20 Korg Electribe EMX Korg Electribe EA1 Arturia Microbrute, Waldorf Blofeld Yamaha AN1x Korg microKORG Roland Juno 60 Yamaha DX7 Roland Alpha Juno 2 Korg Poly 61 Roland JX8P Sequential Circuits Split 8 Korg Monotron Delay
ryryoftokyo

Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: EOC

Advertisement:

Re: Novation Xiosynth vs DSI Mopho

Postby cgren72 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:04 pm

I would go with the mopho because it has to be alot more powerful. the only benefit of the xiosynth is the xgator thing. ive never used either, but ive thought about buying both, and would defenately go with the mopho unless you want to have the midi/studio tools that the xiosynth has. maybe save up and even buy a tetra
cgren72

Postby Hair » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:43 pm

Xio seems cool, but I'd imagine that a lot of it's ground is covered by the AN1x. You have a ton of polysynths, but no monos, so the Mopho would definitely be more unique in your setup.

For aggressiveness, the Mopho's feedback business is great, but if you want to take it a step further towards digital craziness, have you thought about the Evolver Desktop?
Hair

Postby cartesia » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:06 am

yeah it sounds like the mopho will do you better -

The xiosynth has polyphony, but you already have polysynths
cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Postby krzeppa » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:15 pm

I own a xiosynth, and it can get pretty aggressive and dirty. It is defintely a beast of keyboard for something so cheap. With that said, I would still go for the Mopho or even the Evolver. I have had my chance to play both of them, and I think adding one of the monos to your setup would be ideal. The Mopho can be really raw and agressive. I find it fun and relatively easy to use. Also, the Evolver is capable of shaping some of the coolest and craziest sounds. I can sit with an Evolver for hours and never get bored with it. It pretty much has endless possibilities. My suggestions would be the Mopho if you want to create aggressive bass, or the Evolver if you are looking to create and shape other types of agrresive sounds.
krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Accordion, Bag Pipes, Concertina, Banjo, and Wash Board
Band: Where the Embers Fall

Postby TheKeytarist » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:41 pm

As an owner, my opinion is that the xio isn't exactly an aggressive synth. Most of the time I wish it could be more aggressive. Tried out both a mopho & an evolver in-store, and they both sounded pretty sweet. The filters sounded nice, and unlike the xio, they didn't step ant high resonance.
As opposed to the xio my vote goes to the mopho(the feed back feature sounds pretty nice).
"A learned blockhead is a greater blockhead than an ignorant one."
— Benjamin Franklin

:keys1: :drums: :keys2:
TheKeytarist

Postby ryryoftokyo » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:57 pm

UPDATE: My friend is selling me his Micromoog for $500. Win.
Moog Multimoog Korg MS20 Korg Electribe EMX Korg Electribe EA1 Arturia Microbrute, Waldorf Blofeld Yamaha AN1x Korg microKORG Roland Juno 60 Yamaha DX7 Roland Alpha Juno 2 Korg Poly 61 Roland JX8P Sequential Circuits Split 8 Korg Monotron Delay
ryryoftokyo

Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: EOC

Return to Synth Shootouts